Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mitchlyn D.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
New or Used Appliances?

Mitchlyn D.
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Feb 2 2018, 10:12
I just closed on a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom single family home which I bought as a rental. It doesn't have a refrigerator or stove. My question: Should I buy a used(habitat for humanity store) or brand new fridge and stove?

User Stats

Votes
Steven Pescatore
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wayne, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Wayne, NJ
Replied Feb 3 2018, 13:11

@MichlynDavis I have rental properties in Florida as well and I go to the used appliances stores to buy replacement appliances. Some are basically new with minor cosmetic issues. If you didn't do a full renovation with new cabs, I would go the used route.

User Stats

Votes
Alex P.
  • Investor
  • Longview, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Longview, WA
Replied Feb 3 2018, 13:59
@Cody Evans it off gasses carbon monoxide when there is buildup in the oven. People think it is a fix-all and they don't need ever need to scrub the oven out. It can also short out electrical components, pop the glass on the front, and trip your breakers. I have gotten multiple repair calls from my tenants and I try to avoid those. Follow the manufacturer directions it should be alright, but do people? Probably not.
Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Quincy P.
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Feb 3 2018, 15:47

I’ll admit I didn’t read all the responses on this topic, but from experience if you get new and not top of the line it will save you many headaches down the road. If the tenants damage them there goes there deposit. Sell the damaged appliances and buy again. Just my 2 cents.

User Stats

Votes
Julie N.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Unionville, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Unionville, CT
Replied Feb 3 2018, 16:27

I buy used if they’re in good shape.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Helms
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
Votes |
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
Replied Feb 3 2018, 16:32

new. 

User Stats

Votes
Merri Grace McLeroy
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Norcross, GA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Norcross, GA
Replied Feb 3 2018, 17:00

Another vote here for Sears Outlet. Also, good stuff at CRS in Dania Beach - Fort Lauderdale area. Owned by a brother and sister team. Great service. They purchase gently used from time shares.

User Stats

Votes
Bradford Clark
  • Charleston, WV
Votes |
  • Charleston, WV
Replied Feb 3 2018, 18:18

Do you have a scratch and dent store? Big box stores have select appliances on clearance. I can usually find a new unit this way for the price of a used

User Stats

Votes
Andy Webb
Pro Member
  • Carrollton, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carrollton, TX
Replied Feb 3 2018, 18:33

We have a couple of decent scratch and dent stores around town that have good deals.  We never put fridges into SFRs here - is that normal in Florida?

Highland Properties Logo

User Stats

Votes
Collin Schwartz#5 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Papillion, NE
Votes |
Collin Schwartz#5 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Papillion, NE
Replied Feb 3 2018, 18:38

Brandon Hicks I went the route of facebook market place for a nice used oven... looked great, glass top fairly new... Then bugs started crawling out of it and when heated up smelled like urine. My $120 oven turned into a $399 stainless steel oven with free haulaway! I use this example more for humor but definitely do due diligence before purchasing used.

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Schanne
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Princeton, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Princeton, NJ
Replied Feb 3 2018, 19:10

Mitchlyn Davis - a lot of the great Facebook marketplace and craigslist deals only work if you’re local. Paying someone to deliver and install can eat up all the savings. I bought a Used washer and dryer (front load kenmore) - $350 each, lasted 2009-2018 (washer), dryer still fine, from a local guy who specialized in appliance resales. Replaced with new front loader from kenmore installed by sears in Jan 18 for $600. Dishwasher with house lasted 2009-2017, replaced with new stainless for $400 installed in nov 17 by Costco. Oven with house fine 2009-now. Fridge bought used fine 2009-now, fridge that came with house (second) is still fine too.

Locally I bought a used washer and dryer (top load) set for $160 and paid my neighbor $60 for delivery. So all in for $220. The cheapest washer and dryer new combo is about $600 plus tax.

I always put used in my rentals and new (latest style) in my flips. If I’m worried I can always add appliance repair warranties by like Dominion Home services.

Used appliances are cheaper and higher quality in white and black because of lower resale demand than stainless.

User Stats

Votes
Ericka G.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 3 2018, 19:20

Mitchlyn Davis I’ve had great luck buying used appliances from small mom/pop refurbishes that deliver,install, and provide some sort of warranty or assurance. Also have had great luck with appliances from Sears Outlet. Literally zero problems.

However, I bought ONE all-in-one washer/dryer from a private owner on Craigslist and it has been a pain from pickup til now - I got sold a lemon. I do not recommend buying appliances private on CL unless you are very handy OR you are buying a very common model, well-known brand that will be inexpensive and easy to repair and find parts for if you do get sold a dud.

User Stats

Votes
James Masotti
Pro Member
  • Washington Township, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Washington Township, NJ
Replied Feb 4 2018, 04:43
Originally posted by @John Woodrich:

I used to be the craigslist shopper but now I am not.  I would rather replace an appliance once every 7-10 years than replace it two or three times and save a couple hundred bucks.  There is a lot of money available in this world but I can't buy anymore time.  Plus it shows the renters that I am not being cheap.

@Mitchlyn D. What John said - plus as some others have mentioned...I don't do my own repairs and installs. So I'd still have to pay someone to go pick up and haul away the old stuff. By the time I factor in the fees at the dump, etc. I'd be pretty much at the same cost. I get low end stainless appliances to put in my rentals. 

Due to most of my rentals being older homes, often regular washer/dryer do not fit into the basement and I have to get the high efficiency models, which are more expensive and harder to find used or at the scratch and dent places. 

Here's the specific appliance list I usually go with from Home Depot and the prices I ballpark paying for my budgeting purposes.

Whirlpool-30 in. W 18.2 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in Monochromatic Stainless Steel-WRT318FZDM-$547
Whirlpool-5.1 cu. ft. Gas Range in Stainless Steel-WFG320M0BS-$419
Whirlpool-1.7 cu. ft. Over the Range Microwave in Stainless Steel-WMH31017FS-$179
GE-4.0 cu. ft. Electric Compact Dryer in White-DCVH480EKWW-$704
GE-2.2 DOE cu. ft. Front Load Washer in White-WCVH4800KWW-$704
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Peter B.
  • Investor
  • Ogdensburg, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ogdensburg, WI
Replied Feb 4 2018, 06:56

I do both. If we are updating a unit I replace with new. This also gives me inventory of used appliances when one fails in a non updated unit. For new, I used to buy from sears outlet. There were some good deals but the outlet store was 45 miles away... I was able to get bulk pricing from my local sears. The price is almost the same as the outlet and they are new in the box.

User Stats

Votes
Chase Gochnauer
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Feb 4 2018, 07:13
Find a scratch and dent place near you. That's what I do. New with warranty but maybe a small imperfection.

User Stats

Votes
Steve B.
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Replied Feb 4 2018, 08:00

As others have said it depends on the class of rental and market expectations. But at $795 rent; definitely used.

However here are some points being missed. Not all appliances are the same. Resistance burner ovens have an extremely long life and good ones can be had cheaply used. Dishwashers, washers, and dryers are a tougher call, used ones break down faster. With Refrigerators you have to be even more careful, they resale higher and by the time people sell them they often are at end of life with noisy compressors/condensers.

I don’t recommend outlets or scratch and dent. Usually the 25% you save is matched by attendant issues besides cosmetic. I would endorse craigslist as your best used appliance option , being particularly picky with refrigerators

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 4 2018, 09:17

My brother swears by Sears outlet but he has had 3 appliances in the last couple years which arrived dead on arrival.  Because you are buying a used appliance from them you have to wait for someone to come and fix it, etc.  Don't think you even have the option to return it.

When looking at the costs, the scratch and dent places aren't that much cheaper (and sometimes more expensive) than just purchasing drop ship or "special buy" through your big box store.  Sure, the outlet store may have a $1800 fridge for $1200 with a couple dings on the side but why not just get a new $1400 comparable fridge with a warranty and free delivery???  You already know the scratch and dent model has been banged around, can't imagine that is good on the components either.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied Feb 4 2018, 10:01

Locally here in CT we have a Sears Scratch and Dent store which is filled with new appliances with a couple dings here or there. They are often a good way to get appliances for cheaper than buying brand new. See if there are any in your area, but make sure to be clear on delivery charges if you need to get them delivered.

User Stats

Votes
Cara Lonsdale
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Feb 4 2018, 10:02

If you trust the source of the used appliances, then this would be a great way to save some money on your cost of entry.

HOWEVER, we started out this way, and it cost us more in the long run because CL people can be scammers and sell you junk!  We have found that dishwashers often leak or don't clean well, fridges have bad motors and don't cool for very long before they break (and then you have to reimburse the Tenant for their spoiled food), and washing machines work, but don't spin.  These are all the bad experiences we have had with used appliances from CL and local used shops.

Not to bash them entirely.  We did get a complete black set from a family who was upgrading to SS.  These were in good shape.  We also bought a brand new SS set from a guy who had just lost his job after making the purchase, and needed the money.  So, IF you want to buy used appliances, do it on a CASE BY CASE basis.

However, now we only consider used appliances for the stove (because the stove is easily verifyable to be working).  Everything else we buy new.

User Stats

Votes
Cody Evans
  • Wholesaler
  • Fairfield, CA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Fairfield, CA
Replied Feb 4 2018, 11:35

@Sam Shueh

Do these refurbished appliances come with varying warranties? What is a good place to buy these from?

User Stats

Votes
Animesh Das
  • Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Replied Feb 4 2018, 12:45

I buy new appliances.

Reasons

1) I am not an handyman. So even one problem can wipe out the savings made by buying used.

2) Helps to retain high quality tenants. High quality tenants expect high quality landlord. If you buy new appliances, they will appreciate you as landlord.

But how much you should spend on new appliances depends on quality of property, type of area and type of tenant. So if your property is B- with average quality tenants, then I won't buy high end stainless steel appliances. I would get white/blank appliances from mid-quality manufacturer.

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Feb 4 2018, 15:01

@Mitchlyn D. It all depends on your market and class of property. If it's a higher end A class property with high rents then you're probably going to have to go with new appliances. If it's a C class property, you can most likely get by with nice used ones.

User Stats

Votes
Jim S.
  • Sterman, MI
Votes |
  • Sterman, MI
Replied Feb 4 2018, 15:28

Cody Evans, some appliance repair guys will take their customers broken app. and repair them and then sell them but I wouldn't call them refurbished. I know a few that do that. A lot of times they are 10-15 years old, same as CL. Everyone claims they are only 4-5, but check the model #. And they want $150. I recently bought a new washer from Menards, on sale with their 11% rebate, $246.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Lewis Kerwin
  • Investor
  • Seattle
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Seattle
Replied Feb 24 2022, 22:34

Hi, my property management team offered to get a used range for 550 or new for 800. Does the 550 seem unduly expensive or has it gone up this much recently fro the 150-200 cited above?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 25 2022, 04:59

Definitely used appliances for that class of property. New appliances are becoming throw-away items and ridiculously expensive. Buy something that looks good, has all the parts, and functions for 1/3 the cost of new.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 25 2022, 05:07

Just be sure to get any warranty in writing!