Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike Calvey
Pro Member
  • Head of Sales at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
What is the one thing you hate doing within your REI business?

Mike Calvey
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Posted Apr 26 2024, 13:11

I'm curious, within your own real estate investing biz, what is the one thing you hate doing but needs to be done to run your business?

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Apr 26 2024, 13:19

Turnovers. 

User Stats

Votes
James De Stefano
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 26 2024, 13:25

I'm early on along the journey, but so far it's been the "walking on eggshells" while screening / accepting / declining prospective tenants. 

Maybe it's because it's beaten into our heads as RE agents, but I'm particularly careful when emailing, texting or calling applicants.   There's just 100 ways people can scream discrimination, when 90% of the time it's simply " You don't meet the income to rent"  

There's crazier things for sure, but this has been consistent! ha

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Apr 26 2024, 14:33

Can't really say, I don't focus on things I hate. Ask me what I love; easy-it is the money.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Calvey
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Replied Apr 26 2024, 15:10
Quote from @James De Stefano:

I'm early on along the journey, but so far it's been the "walking on eggshells" while screening / accepting / declining prospective tenants. 

Maybe it's because it's beaten into our heads as RE agents, but I'm particularly careful when emailing, texting or calling applicants.   There's just 100 ways people can scream discrimination, when 90% of the time it's simply " You don't meet the income to rent"  

Screening tenants can be tricky—like tiptoeing through a minefield because you need to be careful about laws and the risk of discrimination claims. It's great that you're already being careful. Here are some simpler tips to make your process smoother and less stressful:

1. Make a Rule Book: Make sure you screen everyone the same way. Think of it like following a recipe—same steps, same ingredients, every time. This keeps things fair and covers your back if someone says you were unfair. Writing down what you do and why can also help you remember later.
  2. Be Clear When You Say No: If you have to turn someone down, tell them exactly why. Like if their income isn't enough, explain how you figure out if someone can afford the rent. This helps them see it’s nothing personal, just math.
  3. Keep Learning: Laws about renting to people can change. Staying sharp with courses or classes not only helps you stay out of trouble but also shows you’re serious about being fair.
  4. Ask the Experts: When you're not sure what to do, talking to a lawyer who knows about real estate can really help calm your nerves and make sure you're doing everything right.
  5. Use Smart Tools: Think about using a service that checks tenants for you. It's like having a helper that makes sure you’re thorough and following the law, which can make your job a lot easier.

It's cool to see someone who really cares about doing things right. How do you usually handle screening tenants, and have you found any helpful tools or tricks?

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Apr 26 2024, 20:32

bad tenants/turns

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Apr 27 2024, 05:37

Dealing with attorneys…

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Apr 27 2024, 06:43
Due diligence. One of the most important things to do, but if everyone was honest and kept good records, it would be easy.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Apr 27 2024, 10:30
Having multiple qualified applicants is a good problem to have, but I hate telling people that I would love to rent to that I rented a listing to another applicant.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Cruse
  • Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Replied Apr 27 2024, 19:47

Not much. It keeps me busy and sometimes chaotic but I have passion for it. I guess if I have to chose something itś having to encounter utterly dishonest bottom feeders. I also dont care for filing taxes and everything with it. My accountant got on my nears a few times in the past but now Iḿ on a quest for a new one. Trying to figure out which one is good, bad, incompetent or effective is nerve racking. The thought of jumping ship to someone who gets on my nerves more is annoying. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Cruse
  • Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Replied Apr 27 2024, 20:00
Quote from @Mike Calvey:

Screening tenants can be tricky—like tiptoeing through a minefield because you need to be careful about laws and the risk of discrimination claims. It's great that you're already being careful. Here are some simpler tips to make your process smoother and less stressful:

1. Make a Rule Book: Make sure you screen everyone the same way. Think of it like following a recipe—same steps, same ingredients, every time. This keeps things fair and covers your back if someone says you were unfair. Writing down what you do and why can also help you remember later.
  2. Be Clear When You Say No: If you have to turn someone down, tell them exactly why. Like if their income isn't enough, explain how you figure out if someone can afford the rent. This helps them see it’s nothing personal, just math.
  3. Keep Learning: Laws about renting to people can change. Staying sharp with courses or classes not only helps you stay out of trouble but also shows you’re serious about being fair.
  4. Ask the Experts: When you're not sure what to do, talking to a lawyer who knows about real estate can really help calm your nerves and make sure you're doing everything right.
  5. Use Smart Tools: Think about using a service that checks tenants for you. It's like having a helper that makes sure you’re thorough and following the law, which can make your job a lot easier.

It's cool to see someone who really cares about doing things right. How do you usually handle screening tenants, and have you found any helpful tools or tricks?

I´ve never had this problem, nor do I know anyone who has ever been hit with discrimination claims. It seems like you cant be in jeopardy of that unless you are discriminating. I have a specific criteria for screening which has nothing to do with any race, creed, color, religion or anything else. Unless they are a nazi or something similar, what they are makes zero difference to me. If I have no bias naturally, naturally it cant come out in my selection. If someone believes that, I can show them the criteria and that will end it. The only way I could even think of this would be if I know I had personal feelings of bias to others. There is a member here that advises newbies to treat section 8 recipients like animals. Those are the types that have to worry about stuff like that. 

Not sure if I have to rent to someone I know is an open racist. I actually inherited a racist who consistently wanted to stay in my unit. Real story. 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Brickman
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 27 2024, 21:47

Trusting others and handing off work. Need to do much better with this! 

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Replied Apr 27 2024, 21:55

@Mike Calvey The only thing I truly don’t like so far is setting up appointments for a showing and then not having people show up.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 28 2024, 06:18
Quote from @Mike Calvey:

I'm curious, within your own real estate investing biz, what is the one thing you hate doing but needs to be done to run your business?

bookkeeping

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Apr 28 2024, 07:51
Quote from @Mike Calvey:

Honestly, I hate posting on social media. I'm just bad at it but I know it's important to drive more direct bookings.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Morrow
Agent
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Apr 28 2024, 09:04
Quote from @Mike Calvey:

Follow up and structure with prospective deals. One of the most important aspects but its always a time consuming aspect that most put off and miss out....

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2024, 10:21
Quote from @Mike Calvey:

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2024, 10:24

Your answer is spot on. Every one should be asked the same questions. And memorialize everything via email. Keep good records so you can retrieve them if needed. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Apr 28 2024, 11:00

@Mike Calvey

Evictions. I take absolutely no pleasure in the process. And the reality of my situation is that they are best handled by me and no one else.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2024, 12:58

Scheduling a showing. Dealing with no shows even after confirming 30 minutes before the appointment.

I love when someone ask me if I'm the owner, that already tells me that they have been turned away from large real estate companies and they're looking for a sucker.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 28 2024, 16:10

Perhaps different states have different requirements for the eviction process.

User Stats

Votes
Simon W.
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Replied Apr 28 2024, 16:53
Quote from @Chris Seveney:
Quote from @Mike Calvey:

bookkeeping

lol i just find it funny. This is the one thing I love doing. Been doing it for almost 20 years now. 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 28 2024, 17:10

This is a real liability, the government originates most of its cases through "testing" which is to say contacts with landlords where they pose as potential tenants. There is an easy solution. Our ads have all our leasing requirements. All they are getting from us is an appointment time. The requirements are in the ad, there are no exceptions to the requirements. We decline to comment on the wild stories of potential applicants who believe their story will overcome their history. The company line is simply: We cannot evaluate you as a tenant until you see the unit, complete the application form (which has a space to furnish explanations of anything you believe needs context) and pay the application fee. All requirements are in the ad. Should I keep you down for 2pm?

That's it. The person at the open house has no authority to make policy changes and wouldn't pretend to do so. Every response, same template. The tests they do involve making contact as different people of different backgrounds to determine if they are treated differently from one another. Sticking to your approval criteria and treating everyone the same thwarts that from happening even unintentionally. 

What I hate most are lawyers, city employees, condo/hoa boards and plumbers. The latter being a necessary evil. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 28 2024, 17:18
Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

@Mike Calvey The only thing I truly don’t like so far is setting up appointments for a showing and then not having people show up.

If we do not have at least 10 for a single appointment day/time we reschedule the few who confirmed. Usually 4-6 show up and one or two apply. 

User Stats

Votes
Becca F.#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Apr 28 2024, 20:27

Due diligence and could have done better research before putting offers in. in second place would be turnover

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Apr 29 2024, 07:25

Taking calls from people wanting to buy our properties when you know they don't know a thing about them.  

Due diligence to me is the fun part.  Where you make your money.  Pitting yourself against the situation.  “The Hunt”.  Could do this all day long.