Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marc Shin
Votes |
Should I stay away from STRs that only have 1 bathroom?

Marc Shin
Posted Aug 7 2024, 16:11

I see many properties that are 2/1 or 3/1.  Should I stay away from these and only consider purchasing properties with at least 2 baths?   the idea is that if there’s only 1 bathroom then if it clogs it’ll be a huge hassle for the tenants and for me the owner.  Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Aug 7 2024, 16:28

I have a few rentals that only have one bathroom and it isn't a problem.  They are long term rentals, not short term.  I think the bigger thing is the number of bathrooms to bedrooms.  A 2/1 or 3/1 is okay (though ideally 3/2), but any more people staying there, then a second bathroom is needed.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Nelson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Denver Metro, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Denver Metro, CO
Replied Aug 7 2024, 16:32

Definitely depends on where they are and who your desired guest is. A clogged toilet is a hassle no matter what. I have two 1/1s in a high cost mountain resort area, and they have rented out just fine to the right guest profile.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Aug 7 2024, 18:48

I put in the Champion toilet that flushes 8 golf balls.

My.kids used to stop up the upstairs toilet till I put in one of these. They never clogged this bad boy.

Smaller house should be ok with one bathroom, but I would want a bigger house.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 7 2024, 20:28

Not an issue. I have a 1 bath property and it does great, although it is a 2 bedroom. With 3 bedrooms it's more of an issue, but people on vacation are somewhat accustomed to it. 

Although if you need to exit in a down market 1 bath properties can be tougher to sell. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Aug 7 2024, 23:23

Hey @Marc Shin, like others have said, 2/1 OK, 3/1 less OK.

American Standard Cadet III. Flushes everything. Even stuff on the counter....

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 8 2024, 05:04
Quote from @Marc Shin:

I see many properties that are 2/1 or 3/1.  Should I stay away from these and only consider purchasing properties with at least 2 baths?   the idea is that if there’s only 1 bathroom then if it clogs it’ll be a huge hassle for the tenants and for me the owner.  Thoughts?

You can get by with just one, but 2+ is certainly attractive to renters, particularly short-term guests.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Annie Seurer
  • Contractor
  • Nationwide
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Nationwide
Replied Aug 8 2024, 06:12

I'd focus on number of bedrooms and where there is a gap in the market. Market saturated with 3 or 4 bedrooms, a 2 bedroom may be ideal. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Aug 8 2024, 06:34

Unless you are getting a ton of bad guests, I think a 1 bath property is fine. I have 5 rentals with 1 bathroom and there haven't been many issues over the years. Of course, if you can find a property where you can add a 2nd bathroom or maybe a half, you'd be better off in the random case of a toilet clog.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Aug 8 2024, 07:10

STR is a completely different mindset then LTR, so worrying about clogs is just something to deal with in the STR world. Some hosts have found that more bathrooms are more attractive than offering a large living room, but I think it's somewhat market and guest avatar specific. So, I would think about what type of a guest comes to the area and who you're wanting in the property. Once those answers are in mind, find the proper bed/bath number count that fits your guest avatar.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Grudzien
Pro Member
#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Replied Aug 8 2024, 07:54

I've read this entire discussion.
You've got to be sh*tting me...
What's with all the potty talk...?
My 2 cents,
Mike

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 8 2024, 08:00

I wouldn't shy away from them. I would analyze the market, understand the target demographics based on comparables, and decide from there.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Aug 8 2024, 08:23

Depends completely on your target market, location  and demographics. Of course the more bathrooms the better, but if you find a screaming deal on a 1 Bath house, go for it!

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Free eBook: The Ultimate STR Guide Over 100 pages of focused knowledge to help you launch and scale your short-term rental business.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 8 2024, 09:37

IMO it depends on thee market, but a 3/2 is always more desirable. Most of our 3 bedroom 2 baths fit 10-12 people comfortably. I would cap occupancy at 8 if there were only 1 bathroom. That occupancy difference will likely lead to lower ADR and/or lower occupancy rate, affecting ROI potentially.

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Brown
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 8 2024, 12:45

The market and stay are really important. I'll echo everyone's sentiments and say 2/1 ok..3/1 not as much. 3/2 is always desirable for short or long term. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 8 2024, 17:53
Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

Once those answers are in mind, find the proper bed/bath number count that fits your guest avatar. 

I ran the guest count numbers for 2023 and 2024 for each booking at my 2/1. The averages, medians, and % distribution of 1/2/3/4 guest stays were almost dead on between the 2 years. It was uncanny to see, with 2 guest stays being about half and then roughly similar splits between 1, 2, and 4 guest stays. Which makes sense because I can still be in the same ballpark price wise as a hotel to pick up those 2 guest stays (presumably mostly couples, but not always), with the added value of everything a SFR provides.

Part of me wonders if had 2 full baths I would book more 3 or 4 guest stays, and could then maybe add an extra guest fee for 3/4 guest bookings? Would be an interesting experiment but my instinct tells me that it wouldn't change much. Curious if anyone else here has a similar experience. 

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#3 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Investor
Replied Aug 8 2024, 19:15
Quote from @Marc Shin:

Only a 2/1. Avoid 3/1 or deeper bedroom:bathroom ratios. IF you're in a HCOL area or HCOL region in a normal area, definitely add a bathroom it's a huge appraisal add and game changer. 10-15 years from now when you sell, nobody wants a 3/1 now and won't then. 3/1s stay sticky in any market I'm in, I'll buy distressed and add 1-2 bathrooms and get a huge return on just that. 

Don't value the house just for STR purposes, value it as the asset it is. How you market it is how you market it.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Shemp
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Votes |
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Replied Aug 9 2024, 03:42

@Marc Shin

We have a 2BR/1B and a 1BR/1B and are booked year round, even during the off-season.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Sebastian
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 9 2024, 03:52

Anything over two bedrooms needs two bathrooms. Guests are there to do things like hike, visit museums, go out to eat, etc. They don't want to sit & wait around for everyone to get ready. With that said, if there are only one or two bedrooms then they won't have to wait too long. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Aug 9 2024, 07:30
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Don't value the house just for STR purposes, value it as the asset it is. How you market it is how you market it. 

There you go ^^^

And remember, STR speaking, that there is a value for 2/1's or even 1/1's. A lot of couples traveling on their own would much rather have a smaller place, but really nice. If you get a 2/1 for instance, don't worry so much about the single bath, (most hotels/motels ahve 1 bath, right?)...instead spend money on better amenities. This is thinking with your STR hat on.

But as VG Jason says, if you think about the property simply as an Asset, then you will want to add another bath...