Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Do you bother getting a permit to replace the water heater?

Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Mar 2 2011, 00:24

I called the county permitting office and they do require a permit to replace a water heater. Since it's highway robbery to pay a licensed plumber to do anything, I was wondering if most people ignore the permit issue when dealing with the heater, or is it better to go ahead and pay the plumber for liability reasons? thanks

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 29 2018, 08:41

I used a licensed plumber for a gas water heater for liability reasons. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Jardine
  • Investor
  • Hamilton, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hamilton, VA
Replied Dec 24 2018, 07:50

It really depends on your market. IN mine permits are required but never enforced and no ones gonna check it. So I just make sure I have someone I know if reliable to do the install at the best price.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Heath M.
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Feb 20 2019, 15:56

It took me 4 places to find someone willing to sell me a tankless heater.  Everyone wanted to quote me with the install price...  

I had to run new 3/4" pipe from the main trunk line under the house, replacing the 1/2" gas line but it was all easy.  And the exhaust pipe had to be changed to the tankless inlet/exhaust pipe, that was a little more time consuming.   

For tank water heaters, they are super easy once you muscle the old out and the new one in.  I don't hire a plumber for that ever.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Feb 20 2019, 16:10

Here in my county , they want you to pull a permit to replace the wax ring on a toilet , also a water heater . AND it must be a plumber .      

No I dont on my properties

User Stats

Votes
William W.
  • south Alabama
Votes |
  • south Alabama
Replied Feb 20 2019, 17:56

I have never in my life heard of pulling a permit to replace a water heater until I started reading this forum.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Goebel
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Apr 13 2019, 05:05

@Steve Babiak

Hi Steve, I think you are incorrect about the cause for the types of explosions referenced.  The occasional explosion that damages surrounding houses I believe must be due to NG.  There's simply not enough energy or mass stored in a high pressure situation within the tank (with steam/water) to do that much damage.

While the T&P relief valve and pipe going straight down is enforced in the jurisdiction here, and I honestly don't know the extent to which a worst case related to this failure might go - I can with confidence say that the explosions we see on the news that affect/level an entire house and affect surrounding houses are due to NG leaks.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 13 2019, 05:13
Originally posted by @Jim Goebel:

@Steve Babiak

Hi Steve, I think you are incorrect about the cause for the types of explosions referenced.  The occasional explosion that damages surrounding houses I believe must be due to NG.  There's simply not enough energy or mass stored in a high pressure situation within the tank (with steam/water) to do that much damage.

While the T&P relief valve and pipe going straight down is enforced in the jurisdiction here, and I honestly don't know the extent to which a worst case related to this failure might go - I can with confidence say that the explosions we see on the news that affect/level an entire house and affect surrounding houses are due to NG leaks.

Time for you to retract part of your statement. Here is video of an electric hot water heater being exploded, via overpressure condition when no T&P is installed.

https://youtu.be/9bU-I2ZiML0

I know my original post from many years ago was, and still is, correct ...

User Stats

Votes
Jim Goebel
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Apr 13 2019, 05:39

@Steve Babiak

@Bill Gulley

Thanks for the video.  Good ol Mythbusters.  Was very cool show especially when it first came out.

That said - I'm not sure what part of my post you're thinking I should retract?  This was the explosion referenced by Bill I was referring to (and I've on various occasions seen these on the local news):

While I certainly cannot say with absolute certainty that a water heater failure as you linked to and was demonstrated in your mythbusters video, could not cause secondary damage, for instance by severing the NG line feeding it (as it would likely do this) - the primary failure and explosion demonstrated in the video due to the T&P relief failure would not possess the energy / mass to produce the damage that Bill was referencing above.   Yes, lots of damage, but not the kind of damage Bill described.

The type of explosion that Bill referenced would have to be due to the levels of energy supplied by an excess amount of flammable gas such as NG being leaked and present, and THEN a spark igniting it.  

So, in my opinion, that T&P failure would be unlikely to cause the explosion referenced by Bill even secondarily.  The more likely culprit would be a sustained leak of NG, followed by the production of ignition source (for instance some period of time passing and then ignition happening).  I will eat crow enough to grant you it'd be possible for that T&P failure to occur first, then some time passing while large amounts of NG entered an environment, then spark/BOOM.  So, I suppose it'd be possible to have a small boom, then a big boom later.

Anyways, to kind of try to veer back onto OP's question (although I know this is an old topic) I think the qualifications of the installer are what are controllable to focus on.  The T&P valve nowadays ships with the new water heater units being installed so that failure point I think we just chalk up to Mother Fortune (as failure of that valve would precipitate behavior in your referenced video).  The possibility of a leak, however, gets into installer qualifications and methods which I think as investors we do have degree of control over.

My opinion on the permit question is to use business considerations to gauge risk of going whatever direction one goes, and to do your best to make sure you have a qualified installer.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 13 2019, 06:05
Originally posted by @Jim Goebel:

@Steve Babiak

@Bill Gulley

Thanks for the video.  Good ol Mythbusters.  Was very cool show especially when it first came out.

That said - I'm not sure what part of my post you're thinking I should retract?  This was the explosion referenced by Bill I was referring to (and I've on various occasions seen these on the local news):

While I certainly cannot say with absolute certainty that a water heater failure as you linked to and was demonstrated in your mythbusters video, could not cause secondary damage, for instance by severing the NG line feeding it (as it would likely do this) - the primary failure and explosion demonstrated in the video due to the T&P relief failure would not possess the energy / mass to produce the damage that Bill was referencing above.   Yes, lots of damage, but not the kind of damage Bill described.

The type of explosion that Bill referenced would have to be due to the levels of energy supplied by an excess amount of flammable gas such as NG being leaked and present, and THEN a spark igniting it.  

So, in my opinion, that T&P failure would be unlikely to cause the explosion referenced by Bill even secondarily.  The more likely culprit would be a sustained leak of NG, followed by the production of ignition source (for instance some period of time passing and then ignition happening).  I will eat crow enough to grant you it'd be possible for that T&P failure to occur first, then some time passing while large amounts of NG entered an environment, then spark/BOOM.  So, I suppose it'd be possible to have a small boom, then a big boom later.

Anyways, to kind of try to veer back onto OP's question (although I know this is an old topic) I think the qualifications of the installer are what are controllable to focus on.  The T&P valve nowadays ships with the new water heater units being installed so that failure point I think we just chalk up to Mother Fortune (as failure of that valve would precipitate behavior in your referenced video).  The possibility of a leak, however, gets into installer qualifications and methods which I think as investors we do have degree of control over.

My opinion on the permit question is to use business considerations to gauge risk of going whatever direction one goes, and to do your best to make sure you have a qualified installer.

My post was made following the post by the OP @Bienes Raices where it was stated the hot water heater in question was electric, implying that it was not vulnerable to explosion of the sort that a gas leak would produce. My post mentioned no fuel source, and did not mention what Bill Gulley had written.

You did state that my original post was incorrect - and you have not provided any evidence to support that - even in light of my evidence refuting that part of your statement.

Some people can't admit they're wrong even when proven so - it's OK, the posts I have made in this thread are not incorrect despite any statements you've made that might say so. I have on several occasions admitted to an incorrect posting when somebody has actually posted information that proved it. Please go back to my original post, read the post immediately preceding it, then quote my post and highlight that which you believe to be incorrect if you want to debate this.

User Stats

Votes
Jason D.
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Votes |
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Replied Apr 13 2019, 07:05

@Bienes Raices if I'm keeping the property, I dont usually bother. If I'm selling the property, I'll get the permit

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Apr 13 2019, 07:50

When you sell and house looks like turn key, the prospects want a list of improvements and will validate the permits go with it.  Most of the lawsuits is crappy quality from unlicensed handyman. They do not know the code. Inspect identify the code violations and you get dinged at offering price. Drainage pan, seismic bracing (here In CA). CO exhaust, maintenance, coupling. That is one example of a unpermitted H2O.  

If the difference in cost is small, do it legally. 

User Stats

Votes
Jim Goebel
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Apr 13 2019, 09:33

@Steve Babiak

You're right about the order of posts.  If you were referring to 'water heaters' as THE water heater that the OP posted about, then I think what you were trying to communicate, I'd admit, was correct.  However, you said 'water heaters' without providing any specifics of which water heaters you are referring to.  I read your post to be saying what it was, which was water heater catastrophic failures being caused (across the board) by that T&P issue you linked the video.  I think without the nuance of this discussion, people miss out on what risks exist in terms of installation, based on the application.  Part of the point in us responding is to help the OP and part of it is to provide useful perspective to others on here.  

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Louis W.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Apr 20 2019, 00:27

Wow, this thread is 7 years old. He might need to replace that water heater second time by now. Whether you need a permit or not depend on your local regulation. Just ask your trusted professional contractors. If they all said that you should get a permit, then get one. If not, I would skip it. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2019, 17:10

No need to get a permit for installing a water heater. City ordinances only require permits for more elaborate items- ie., changing fire sprinkler piping, moderate electrical items, extending exterior block walls higher. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Slocum
  • Banning Ca.
Votes |
  • Banning Ca.
Replied May 26 2019, 17:59

I personally probably wouldn't pull a permit unless there were some other plumbing issues that needed to be taken care of to properly install it.  Some jurisdiction are requiring expansion tanks to be installed as extra precautions. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Slocum
  • Banning Ca.
Votes |
  • Banning Ca.
Replied May 26 2019, 18:02

Haha didn't even pay attention to how old this post was.

User Stats

Votes
Scott P.
  • Indiana...mostly
Votes |
  • Indiana...mostly
Replied May 26 2019, 18:46

If a permit is required, I would get the permit.  In my opinion, it's not worth the risk of not pulling a permit.  Permits for repair or replacement hot water heaters are not required in every jurisdiction.  

I would always hire a licensed person for work like plumbing, electrical, etc.

Where I live, I can do this that sort of work in my own house but I can't do it for others if I'm not licensed.  I wouldn't have anybody who is unlicensed work in my rentals for any kind of work that requires a license.

User Stats

Votes
Martin Morales
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied May 27 2019, 18:10

Allentown PA now requires permits on water heaters. never was a concern before; now it's required. 

User Stats

Votes
Cassandra Sifford
  • New Castle, DE
Votes |
  • New Castle, DE
Replied May 27 2019, 21:41

I recently got one installed by my GC after a home warranty company told me my warranty didnt cover it smh They sent me a check for almost the cost a new one and I paid my contractor to install it. No permit pulled.

User Stats

Votes
Isaac S.
Votes |

I don't need no stinkin permit!!! 

And let me set the record straight..... I didn't blow up 4 houses with that NG explosion, I only blew up 3 houses, 1 was just badly damaged, but not "blown up"

User Stats

Votes
Gina Stern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jun 13 2019, 11:15

Better safe than sorry for what my opinions worth.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 18 2019, 08:29

Yes. Always get a permit. Better to be safe than sorry.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Follow a few simple steps to view a practice deal.
Step 1 | Find a market
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
See Practice Deals

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 30 2019, 06:51

I've never replaced a water heater with a permit and have yet to encounter any problems with doing so. But then again, i guess it depends on where you live and if that's strictly enforced.

User Stats

Votes
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Votes |
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Replied Sep 30 2019, 17:02

heck no !

User Stats

Votes
Jay M.
  • Contractor
  • Fairhaven, MA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Fairhaven, MA
Replied Sep 30 2019, 17:32
Dirty little secret.........most insurance policies are voided if non licensed / non permitted work is performed AND it is determined that was the cause of the damage / claim....... If you have an unlicensed sparky swapping out a panel and there's a fire guess what happens.........