Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mitchlyn D.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
New or Used Appliances?

Mitchlyn D.
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Feb 2 2018, 10:12
I just closed on a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom single family home which I bought as a rental. It doesn't have a refrigerator or stove. My question: Should I buy a used(habitat for humanity store) or brand new fridge and stove?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garrett
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Replied Feb 2 2018, 10:20

That would depend on the price point and quality of finishes in the house.

What's the ARV? What type of appliances do the comps have? What quality is the rest of the rehab? New Kitchen?

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Feb 2 2018, 10:46

@Mitchlyn D.

You can get nice looking used appliances for a fraction of the price for new. After you have your first tenant your new stuff is then used anyway.

Some appliance place offer a short warranty or you can find some like new appliances on CL where a homeowner has upgraded.

Also get a self cleaning oven. When someone moves out and oven is dirty just start a cleaning cycle (hopefully while utilities are still in their name) :)

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Giannino
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hamilton, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hamilton, NJ
Replied Feb 2 2018, 10:59

@Mitchlyn D.

As the others have stated, check to see what other rentals are offering around you.  Personally, I would definitely look into either new appliances with little scratches and/or dents (assuming they aren't an initial eye sore) or slightly used appliances.  Save yourself some money and chances are your potential tenants coming to see your new rental will probably never notice.  Besides, if a tenant completely destroys one of these appliances, at least you'll feel a little better knowing it wasn't new 

User Stats

Votes
Mitchlyn D.
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Feb 2 2018, 13:52

@Brian Garrett - The area is like a low B-. ARV was around $73K. The kitchen isn't new. It went through a minor rehab which was mainly paint. Thanks!

@John Underwood - I forgot about the self cleaning oven.  Good point!

@Christopher Giannino - I'll check the box stores to see if they have any that are dented which they are willing to offer at a discount.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Mattausch
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 2 2018, 17:53

I USED to buy all appliances on Craigslist. Preach it, Kyle. Love me a deal for sure.

But Seattle is getting so upscale, and I'm getting so short on time, that I try to buy new when I can. Home Depot has Amana (good brand, related to Whirlpool) top load washer/dryers for $300/ea. Call Depot directly to order and can sometimes give you discounts through vendors. Their people handle delivery, install, and haulaway off old. Done!

User Stats

Votes
Brooks Johnson
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Minneapolis (Blaine), MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Minneapolis (Blaine), MN
Replied Feb 2 2018, 17:59

I do some of both, depends on the price point of the rent.  In my area, we have a good used appliance place that is cheap and warranties their appliances for free for 6months and they deliver/take away old ones!  Craigs list is cheaper but a lot more work and I'm trying to do less work myself these days

User Stats

Votes
Justin Marshall
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ankeny IA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ankeny IA
Replied Feb 2 2018, 18:49

I always replace with new appliances however all my units have been remodeled within the past 2 years.  I also try to get the scratch and dent appliances from big boxes but I try to keep a full set on hand at all times.  I do this since I use the new scratched ones but you aren’t guaranteed the appliance you need will be on the floor when you need it.  I also use the big box credit card for the initial purchase because they offer an additional 5-10% off then pay them off the next month.  Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Creswell
  • Xenia, OH
Votes |
  • Xenia, OH
Replied Feb 2 2018, 19:08

We use all new in our rentals for a couple reasons. Warranties on appliances, knowing they are new and that there shouldn’t be any problems, and we can get max rent for supplying new appliances.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Golding
  • Contractor
  • Loganville, WI
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Loganville, WI
Replied Feb 2 2018, 20:11

Most people replace stove and fridges due to looks not function so I buy those used with great luck.  Washers and dryers are sold used because they are on their last bit of life.

User Stats

Votes
Alex P.
  • Investor
  • Longview, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Longview, WA
Replied Feb 2 2018, 20:53
Do your due dilligence before using the "self clean" function, I personally tell my tenants to refrain from using it.

User Stats

Votes
Cody Evans
  • Wholesaler
  • Fairfield, CA
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Fairfield, CA
Replied Feb 2 2018, 21:38

Alex, what could go wrong with a self cleaning oven?

User Stats

Votes
Roger S.
  • Investor
  • TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • TX
Replied Feb 2 2018, 22:20

Used, I get all mine from Craigslist or Facebook.  I never give more than 100 bucks.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Follow a few simple steps to view a practice deal.
Step 1 | Find a market
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
See Practice Deals

User Stats

Votes
Michael Boyer
  • Investor
  • Juneau, AK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Juneau, AK
Replied Feb 2 2018, 22:42

I have put in a gently used coil top range in before a couple of time (because they last forever and fairly easy to move and install) but with a refrigerator or washer or dryer or dishwasher, I just get a new one. 

There can be quite a bit of work to get these into units, especially stacked washer dryers that fit in many apartments. And I get new ones delivered free or low cost (and the old one hauled away). 

So if you can keep a good new appliance in there ten years or more you have less wear and tear on the unit (and you!).

Then the hook ups can be some work to do well (and you will want to replace hoses/lines, clean the dryer vent, maybe test shut offs), so the less you have to do this the better.

Plus, in my area appliance repair can easily be 50% the cost of a new appliance so getting a used one that might not have the same life span or require more repairs can be penny wise and pound foolish. 

For example, it may cost $200 bucks to repair that $50 dollar refrigerator off Craigslist. And if you want to haul it off, that costs even more in my area to decommission and then take to the dump. 

When I add in my time and hassle, I often find the new one is the cheapest in the long term. 

Plus, you have added confidence in a new appliance and less risk (of a leaky washer or frig that dies and spoils all the tenant's food). I am frugal but not foolish...

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Hicks
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Replied Feb 3 2018, 01:29

It’s a rental....are you going to buy brand new appliances EVERY time you have a turnover?

Of course not. Find some good used ones on the Facebook marketplace from homeowners that are upgrading.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Hicks
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Avilla, IN
Replied Feb 3 2018, 01:32

I do occasionally buy new appliances. For example...I have a 16 unit complex that is all two story townhouses with the washer and dryers being located on the 2nd level. I just replaced my first dryer yesterday and opted to go new because it’s not nearly as easy to move one in or out as compared to swapping a stove or fridge on the first level. I also go with new dishwashers. Stoves and fridges I almost always purchase clean used ones.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 3 2018, 07:44

Used all day long. It's a rental, tenants never get new appliances. 

As for warranties on new appliances it is rare you actually would use it and when you do the problem is usually not covered or pro rated to cost more than if you repaired it yourself. When you buy used it will likely last as long as a new unit would assuming you are buying units only a couple of years old.

I buy units in excellent condition for pennies on the dollar when I come across them and always have spares available to do a quick swap out when a tenants appliance fails.  

User Stats

Votes
Alex Huang
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Feb 3 2018, 07:56

You may want to look into the tax benefits of buying new appliances too. You might be able to depreciate a good portion of their cost upfront.

User Stats

Votes
Bart H.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 3 2018, 08:19

We have had good luck with either the big box scratch and dent section or in our area there is a Sears outlet that has really good pricing on scratch and dent appliances

User Stats

Votes
Tanya F.
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
  • Madison, WI
Replied Feb 3 2018, 08:28

Depends on the appliance.

Stoves, dryers - used. Usually craigslist. Most common problems are really pretty easy to fix yourself. Vacuum the lint out of the dryer exhaust. Typical used ranges are $100-150 with nothing wrong with them. Used dryers are often $80-100. 

Washers used (refurbished) from a used appliance dealer. Or new. The moving parts on a washer wear out and are harder to fix than dryers in my opinion.

Fridges, new. Or used only if less than 5 years old and seller says they just wanted a color change. Never used if more than 15 years old. They are much more efficient now.

Dishwashers, used. Usually are being sold for a color change. We try to get higher end used ones because they are quieter than low end new ones. Old or cheap dishwashers are LOUD.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Feb 3 2018, 08:37

I get refurbished appliances with a warranty. No hard feeling when they leave. I get another one.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Votes |
Paul Sandhu#4 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • The worst town to live in, KS
Replied Feb 3 2018, 09:19

Nobody has mentioned estate auctions.  That's where my wife and I buy furniture and appliances to stock our STRs.  They are fully furnished, right down to pots & pans and laundry detergent.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Feb 3 2018, 11:44

@Mitchlyn D.  We almost exclusively purchase used appliances for our rentals.  Even the high end ones.  We have a local used guy who gets appliances looking great at a fraction of the cost.  We get a thirty day warranty.  If something goes wrong we normally just replace it with another used one.  I have not had issues having to replace many appliances so I think the quality of the refurb guy probably matters a lot.  

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Johnson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Replied Feb 3 2018, 11:50

@Mitchlyn D. $73K ARV? Used...used...used...

At best you can go look for the good ol' Sears Outlet (or similar) or floor model sale.  The advantages of those is you can typically pay (or get for free) delivery and installation.  If you have a bad lower back there are worse things that getting a pro to install the stuff.

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 3 2018, 12:35

I used to be the craigslist shopper but now I am not.  I would rather replace an appliance once every 7-10 years than replace it two or three times and save a couple hundred bucks.  There is a lot of money available in this world but I can't buy anymore time.  Plus it shows the renters that I am not being cheap.

User Stats

Votes
Mitchlyn D.
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Feb 3 2018, 12:47

Wow!  I really appreciate all the responses.  Alot of great knowledge and wisdom as it pertains to appliances.  Everyone has a different strategy, some similar, some different, each thoughtful.

Great stuff!!!!