Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Wholesaling
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Green
  • Contractor
  • Niagara Falls/Buffalo, NY
Votes |
What is the best way to build a buyers list before you actually have a property?

Matthew Green
  • Contractor
Posted Mar 25 2009, 16:09

i may have a home under contract soon and i'd to know how to effectively get buyers for this property. I.e build a buyers list!

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Mar 25 2009, 12:22

search here on BP. This has got the be the #1 question ever asked and there is an immense amount of coverage of this topic

top right of the page is the search field

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Green
  • Contractor
Votes |
  • Contractor
Replied Mar 25 2009, 16:24

okay thanks. nice avatar haha

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Clothier
Pro Member
#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • memphis, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • memphis, TN
Replied Mar 11 2010, 01:46

Matthew -

The good thing about your question is that you are looking to build your business the right way. We always grow our business by finding the buyers first and developing our inventory based on what the buyers tell us they want. That's our key to consistently closing 20-25 deals per month.

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Mar 11 2010, 02:03

Matthew -
You can start by making a post on our New "Promote Your Buyer's List Forum"

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Karbon
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 8 2010, 00:08

Hi Matthew,

Try the old fashioned Sunday Newspaper. Look for Rental ads by landlords within a close radius of your subject property. Call and ask if they're looking to buy property in the same area. The trick is to quickly tell them that you may have a property available for "X" $'s in the same area.
ex "Hello Mr. Landlord- I saw your ad in the sunday paper and wanted to know if you'd be interested in a 3 bed near there for *price*. This usually cut's the conversation down to whether or not their interested pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Patrick Karbon

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Massaro
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 23 2010, 05:52

Put out 50 yellow bandit signs advertising a fake property. And when you return their call, explain that it's been sold. Then, take 10 min's to find out about him and his business. Here's an ex:

Cash Buyers Only!
$.30 on the dollar!
3/2 1250 sq ft block
(XXX) XXX-XXXX

Who is not going to call when there's a deal at $.30 on the dollar available? And who is not going to believe it's already been sold...

User Stats

Votes
Greg G.
  • Southwest Michigan
Votes |
  • Southwest Michigan
Replied Jun 23 2010, 06:14

If you start by lying to build your buyers list, where's it end? Not a great way to build a business that'll last, imo.

Greg

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Massaro
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 23 2010, 06:17

OMG.

We're not trying to scam anyone out of cash. We're just trying to locate some cash buyers. Really, G?

User Stats

Votes
Greg G.
  • Southwest Michigan
Votes |
  • Southwest Michigan
Replied Jun 23 2010, 06:31

A, the end definately doesn't justify the means. I've heard it said that how you do anything is how you do everything. I tend to agree It's a slippery slope.

To get the thread back on topic;

Attend local meetings put on by self-directed IRA companies like Entrust, etc... There's generally an opportunity to give a 30 second commercial about your deal and many are there to put funds to work. Be sure to bring a flyer.

Greg

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Massaro
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 23 2010, 06:53

I see absolutely nothing morally or ethically wrong with my strategy... and I advise all of my students to do it.

Cuz it works...

User Stats

Votes
Terry Royce
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jun 24 2010, 00:13

I frequently put out signs that say
"Cheap Shell
555-5555

This gets the phone ringing, and I usually try to keep one or two "junker" properties around so I have something 5k.

User Stats

Votes
Delondon Dear
  • Real Estate Investor
  • 30906, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • 30906, GA
Replied Jun 24 2010, 20:30

There are a few ways that you can do this. You can post ads on all of the major free online classifieds and watch the calls start to flow in. Just make sure you gather the information needed so that when you do get a property under contract you can call them and you will have all of their contact details.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason O.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 13 2010, 03:43

When I advertise on a free site like Craigslist to build my buyer's list, what legal regulations do I look out for?
I'm in NJ.

User Stats

Votes
Mike D.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • NY, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • NY, NY
Replied Oct 23 2010, 03:45

Great question J O. Im in NYC and Im also building up my buyers list just want to know what the legal ramifications maybe if I advertise on sites like craigslist or backpage?

User Stats

Votes
John Newland
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Oct 23 2010, 04:53

How about driving the surrounding area in a reasonable radius and look for "for rent" signs as well as houses that look like they are under going rehab (ask the crew how to get in touch with the owner.) If you have a good relationship with a real estate agent/broker, you can have them search the area for listings that have sold with cash terms. Sure, you may have to flip him or the buyer's agent a commission, but you've sold the property and should have made a tidy wholesale profit.

User Stats

Votes
Kim Hawkinson
  • Real Estate Investor
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
Replied Nov 26 2010, 11:22

OK, so when I call the ads that are listing homes for sale, it normally says downing the bottom that "this person can not be contacted for other soliciting purposes" or something along those lines. Isn't that what I'm doing when I call them asking if they want to buy other cheap properties?

I totally agree this is a GREAT way to find buyers. I Just want to keep everything within the legal lines. Thanks for all the wonderful advice everybody.

Kim

User Stats

Votes
Tim Stevens
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Nov 27 2010, 02:29

I actually prefer to find the local Wholesalers, find out what they have available, get a non-exclusive option on their best deal and then market that to my buyers list.
You can find the local Wholesalers through Craigslist, bandit signs, newspapers, etc.
No sense in marketing something that won't provide instant gratification :D

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Nov 27 2010, 10:27
Originally posted by Andrew Massaro:

Who is not going to call when there's a deal at $.30 on the dollar available? And who is not going to believe it's already been sold...

Andrew, and what serious buyer isn't going to inquire about the deal? Personally I think to lie is an awful strategy. I only had this happen once to me, and I knew very quickly the wholesaler's deal was a joke. If your only goal is to get a call at any cost, then at least tell a lie the buyer can't verify (or question) in 10 seconds.

Tim, I guess if you can get buyers to (over) pay your fee, more power to you. Better to be at the top of the daisy chain. As a buyer not a wholesaler, how are you going to know when your buyer is on both lists? This happened to me about 6 months ago... same property, different prices by about $4K. Hmm? Guess who I am going to deal with?

The goal of building a buyers list is ideally to get repeat buyers moving your properties. I don't see lies/deception and daisy chaining as ideal strategies.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 29 2010, 01:28

I do not understand the dilema. My signs stay up for along time after my target property has sold. Should I go collect all my signs because of an ethical dilema that someone may call me on a previously sold house?
If I am buying I want to know if someone has other proerties. It saves me much time and effort and I have to look at alot of props to find a good one.
Put signs out, ads online and print to gather your list. Who knows what the situation is for the person on the other line.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Nov 30 2010, 07:53

Lee, a big difference is that you had a property to sell. Your case is different than advertising a phantom property with the only intent to build a list. As a cash buyer I am not going to spend (invest? waste?) 10 minutes of my time describing myself and my business to someone who just lied to me about a phantom deal. Does the wholesaler then exaggerate about ARV to pique my interest? Is that how they get to .30 on the dollar? When/where is it now Ok for a wholesaler to exaggerate and/or lie? Everywhere? I contend that serious buyers will eventually find out the real story and not appreciate chasing phantom deals.

I prefer to work with individuals who don't have to deceive to build their business. To each his own.

Back on topic: John Newland had a good idea: "If you have a good relationship with a real estate agent/broker, you can have them search the area for listings that have sold with cash terms." Not bad, but this will identify only MLS listed property sales, not private sales (e.g. wholesale deals) and not FSBO quick sales.

I'll add that I can find dozens of cash buyers each week at the courthouse. We are serious buyers who close quick and with cash. Look at the paperwork at the clerk of court desk and write down the bid winners as well as all other bidders. In most state/counties, their contact information is right there on the form. Some bidders use proxies (e.g. an attorney) but the bottom line is you will have a list of closers not posers building lists. Keep track of what they bid on so you know what they are looking for. My 2 cents.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Nov 30 2010, 09:21

Many methods for building a list of buyers, collected for your convenience, is right here:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/54108-buyer-s-list-how-to-

User Stats

Votes
Jack Coquerel
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Replied Nov 30 2010, 11:24

You really don't need to advertise a fake property. You can advertise a fellow investor's property. One effective way we've used (and still using) is our "Columbo Technique" that I named after the detective inspector Columbo.
We follow properties we've made offers on but didn't get and end up talking to the investor buyer.
By networking with that investor you can open many doors. He can even help you sell your first property. Time consumming but very effective.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scotty Hamill
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Nov 30 2010, 17:30

Hey Chris, I will be going to the courthouse alot and getting my leads. I was wondering how you find buyers there and how you know they are buyers? You said look at the paperwork at the clerk of court desk and write down the bid winners as well as all other bidders, their contact information is right there on the form. I'm a new wholesaler looking for buyers. Can you explain it more or message me? I just dont feel right sending out phantom ads on properties I dont have. I'm new and I want people to know I'm here to help them sell, not mislead them. As far as Lee goes, I dont see anything wrong in leaving the signs up because you actually had the house and sold it. So you get more advertising.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Tropf
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 30 2010, 20:32

Hi Mathew,
I used to be a wholesaler and I started out by placing ghost ads for buyers and mailing letters for sellers. You'll get calls by the dozens by all the currently active retail buyers as well as the investors immediately. Depending on the ad, you will know who the players in your area are immediately and what real families are looking for a new home, what rehabbers are shopping for new rentals and shortly afterward, who's full of it. This tactic is truly all about the follow up. You can't stay non-existent to them. Regular hot deals should be presented. Once you have them.
Your ads can be by the dozens, use bandit signs, craigslist, postlets.com, and sell actual listings that are great deals, a no-brainer, must-see price and beautiful home. A true 'ghost ad' will be advertising a property that is "no longer available" you tell them, they go fast as this price, but if you would like to be on our email list, I will email you when the next hot deal comes along. If you would like to be on our VIP list to get the property notice 48 hours before everyone else, just send me a pre-approval letter or proof of funds and you will be the first to receive the notice of our next must-sell opportunity. If you're like me, I like to stay honest, I actually hate lying I can't keep it up so I just go out and pick the hottest deals that really exist and send buyers there, 95% chance they will not make an offer but you have the buyer now in your database and they feel that you are tried and true, you came through, you weren't just a sales pitch. That works for me. I made a good living for 5 years doing it.
My list was several thousand deep and I eventually had a group, our combined lists were several hundred thousand deep and we shared lists for shared profits at closings, it's a great living.
Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Nov 30 2010, 21:23

Scotty, I do not know OK state laws, but it appears OK is a trustee state and appears the process may be similar to NC. Look for the equivalent files in your courthouse. For "current" sales, look for:

"Report Of Foreclosure Sale/Resale" http://www.nccourts.org/forms/Documents/671.pdf
"Notice Of Upset Bid Notice To Trustee Or Mortagee" http://www.nccourts.org/forms/Documents/452.pdf

Some courthouses have these filings in a 3-ring binder for public convenience. They generally have 1 month's worth of documents. If you can't find things, ask the clerk for help... that's what they are there for.

For historic sales, you need the foreclosure proceeding file number. Then pull (or in some counties ask the clerk to pull) the file. The forms, along with the "Final Report" accounting are in the file.