Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ken Virzi
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
Why won't a top agent work with Holton Wise?

Ken Virzi
  • Long Beach, CA
Posted

I have had some really bad interactions with James Wise over the years, but I always have pointed out that he is a reputable agent and he has built a good business. However, there have been enough red flags to make me wonder what is really happening. Recently I reached out to another reputable, well-respected agent in the Cleveland market and when talking about a property that was listed by James Wise, the agent informed me that he "won't deal with the company that has listed". This is another red flag, but I am wondering what would cause one agent to refuse to make an offer on a property based on the listing agent?

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Ken Virzi:

James Wise has posted lies about me, now he is posting screenshots, this last red flag is just a warning to others. When I asked questions and he did not answer, I simply tried to give him feedback on how he could have responded better by actually answering the questions, he called me a troll for pointing out he never answered my questions. The ad hominem attacks have flowed at every turn with him and yet I have not done that to him. It is very unprofessional. He is a big fish and obviously will do what he needs to squash anyone in his way. This is why those who have bad experiences do not post here, this is why the other agent was so vague. My point is if this community was more open less people would get taken advantage of. Fewer people would need to go through the things others have found difficult. I have only shared my experience and it is a sincere question since I have never had an agent refuse to work with another agent. That was the final straw and I decided to let people know that there are some red flags here. I have not said he is a crook, I have not told anyone to stay away, I simply am saying there are some red flags. The fact that this thread shows the lack of care about red flags is part of why some use BP to prey on those they can take advantage of. 

YOu should see how Engelo Rumora runs his business.. :) talk about  Jays rules then there are Engelo's rules.. 

this is much more common in the industry than a civilian may realize.. not all agents get along.. And agents definitely will not work with some other agents..  This is no shock to any one in the industry.

Yup I am familiar with how @Engelo Rumora runs his show. He's actually a Media client of ours. We do lead generation for him. Which reminds me the Dingo has got something big coming out later this year........

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied
Originally posted by @James Wise:

James Wise has posted lies about me, now he is posting screenshots, this last red flag is just a warning to others. When I asked questions and he did not answer, I simply tried to give him feedback on how he could have responded better by actually answering the questions, he called me a troll for pointing out he never answered my questions. The ad hominem attacks have flowed at every turn with him and yet I have not done that to him. It is very unprofessional. He is a big fish and obviously will do what he needs to squash anyone in his way. This is why those who have bad experiences do not post here, this is why the other agent was so vague. My point is if this community was more open less people would get taken advantage of. Fewer people would need to go through the things others have found difficult. I have only shared my experience and it is a sincere question since I have never had an agent refuse to work with another agent. That was the final straw and I decided to let people know that there are some red flags here. I have not said he is a crook, I have not told anyone to stay away, I simply am saying there are some red flags. The fact that this thread shows the lack of care about red flags is part of why some use BP to prey on those they can take advantage of. 

YOu should see how Engelo Rumora runs his business.. :) talk about  Jays rules then there are Engelo's rules.. 

this is much more common in the industry than a civilian may realize.. not all agents get along.. And agents definitely will not work with some other agents..  This is no shock to any one in the industry.

Yup I am familiar with how @Engelo Rumora runs his show. He's actually a Media client of ours. We do lead generation for him. Which reminds me the Dingo has got something big coming out later this year........

Engelo was the one to first introduced me to bigger pockets he wrote the intro for me. LOL

I knew him back in AU .. on the AU  version of BP..  

this is why you have to love America..  here is a young man who comes to the US with nothing but grit and determination .. very little capital and now is a very successful entrepreneur  Albeit his style is his own.. But that's the point.. look at all the folks who grew up with this opportunity in their lap.. ???  

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @James Wise:

Engelo was the one to first introduced me to bigger pockets he wrote the intro for me. LOL

I knew him back in AU .. on the AU  version of BP..  

this is why you have to love America..  here is a young man who comes to the US with nothing but grit and determination .. very little capital and now is a very successful entrepreneur  Albeit his style is his own.. But that's the point.. look at all the folks who grew up with this opportunity in their lap.. ???  

Ohh yea definitely a unique style. We regularly run a commercial that ends with him walking off set without his pants on lol.

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Hanks
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Davenport, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Davenport, FL
Replied

I have used Holton-Wise to sell some properties, rehab, and manage. I have not had one bad experience. I am still not sure what the red flags are that have been discussed in this thread. But, I value actions over words, and his company's actions tell me that they just get sh!t done. In this business time truly is money and they do not waste any time getting the work done.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied

Thanks for the mention @Jay Hinrichs and @James Wise

Jay,

We are overdue for dinner.

Who's buying? haha

Thanks

Oz Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied

3,500+ investor applications over the last 6 years and we only took on 150 investors.

And yet we still somehow miss things and sell to wankers who's properties I need to buy back just get them out of my life...

I feel sorry for all of the business owners that just sell to anyone with a heart beat.

IMO there needs to be a strict criteria in place for who would be your ideal "partner".

Success in real estate is not a one night stand but rather a marriage.

Oz Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Russ B.
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

The fun thing about the internet is that you never know for sure who it is that you're talking to... at least not without further verification. 

For example, based on what I've seen in this thread, I have to wonder if this person is actually an evicted tenant or something along those lines? 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied
Originally posted by @Engelo Rumora:

3,500+ investor applications over the last 6 years and we only took on 150 investors.

And yet we still somehow miss things and sell to wankers who's properties I need to buy back just get them out of my life...

I feel sorry for all of the business owners that just sell to anyone with a heart beat.

IMO there needs to be a strict criteria in place for who would be your ideal "partner".

AGreed when you choose to retail those asset class's the success is over the years not the day you make the sale.  

And dinner is on you big guy !!!  

come to Vegas 

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied

AGreed when you choose to retail those asset class's the success is over the years not the day you make the sale.  

come to Vegas 

I'll be in Vegas in early January for the CES

Are you around?

Oz Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied

come to Vegas 

Are you around?

YUP    consumer electronics show  ???    look forward to catching up then.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Rosa
  • New York City
Votes |
  • New York City
Replied

@James Wise

I like James Wise because he and his Holton Wise videos tell it like it is.  I appreciate it when people don't sugar coat the truth. It may not be everyone's style but its the truth and in the end that's what counts.  If an area is an "F" grade ghetto dump, then its a ghetto dump! & its nothing personal. 

He will let you know about the good and bad in various Cleveland locations, tenant quality and the greater risks involved with certain areas. He is very clear when going over property locations, the grade of the neighborhood, breaking down costs, purchasing methods and estimated projections. He also tells people that this business isn't for everyone, it comes with risks and there is no such thing as get rich quick in this business. I have never seen anyone do that and that's Golden!!

User Stats

Votes
Tim Healey
  • Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied

By my reckoning @James Wise has probably done several thousand deals (James.... care to throw a number out there?). Yet there is really very little negative press on him (I looked when I engaged in a deal with him). If he was dodgy, he wouldn't be on a platform like this. The negative feedback would warn anyone off in a heart beat. That's the beauty of this platform. 

And the @Engelo Rumora pants-off ending is nothing less than Champagne Comedy. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
James Galla
  • Attorney
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Akron, OH
Replied

@Ken Virzi he was a moderator but voluntarily stepped down. You ought to just apologize and move on. There's absolutely no reason to keep pushing this issue and burning the bridge even further.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied

come to Vegas 

Are you around?

YUP    consumer electronics show  ???    look forward to catching up then.

Yep,  that's the one.

I'll hit you up then

Oz Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tom Ott
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Man, this whole thing sounds off. I get sometimes you may not like working with an agent, but straight-up refusing to work with someone? Maybe others do it, but I have never heard of that. There are good and bad agents. Some make for an easy deal and others make for a challenging close, but in the end, a deal is a deal. Why not pursue it??? If the property is that great, why not find a better agent? I find it odd that a top-rated agent is refusing deals based on agents. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @Tim Healey:

By my reckoning @James Wise has probably done several thousand deals (James.... care to throw a number out there?). Yet there is really very little negative press on him (I looked when I engaged in a deal with him). If he was dodgy, he wouldn't be on a platform like this. The negative feedback would warn anyone off in a heart beat. That's the beauty of this platform. 

And the @Engelo Rumora pants-off ending is nothing less than Champagne Comedy. 

You really can't beat pants off Engelo.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Originally posted by @Anthony Rosa:

@James Wise

I like James Wise because he and his Holton Wise videos tell it like it is.  I appreciate it when people don't sugar coat the truth. It may not be everyone's style but its the truth and in the end that's what counts.  If an area is an "F" grade ghetto dump, then its a ghetto dump! & its nothing personal. 

He will let you know about the good and bad in various Cleveland locations, tenant quality and the greater risks involved with certain areas. He is very clear when going over property locations, the grade of the neighborhood, breaking down costs, purchasing methods and estimated projections. He also tells people that this business isn't for everyone, it comes with risks and there is no such thing as get rich quick in this business. I have never seen anyone do that and that's Golden!!

Thanks Anthony, you're the real MVP.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied

@James Wise

Stop pissing people off and turning down business...

That's my job mate haha

I had a few investors mention you mate :)

I prefer being the notorious A$$hole so please stop trying to take my spot

Speak soon   

Oz Realty Logo