Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Mayuresh Kshirsagar
Pro Member
Votes |
Starting out as out of state investor trying to find a good deal

Mayuresh Kshirsagar
Pro Member
Posted Jul 13 2024, 13:58

Hi,

I am a newbie starting out as an out of state investor. Have started out in Austin getting 2 duplexes. But ended up being a lot of negative cashflow on both.

I got started! But now trying am struggling to find a good deal.

Primarily thinking of Cleveland, Austin and Peoria.

Any recommendations if this looks like a good place to start?

User Stats

Votes
Kerlous Tadres
Pro Member
#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 13 2024, 16:50
Quote from @Mayuresh Kshirsagar:

Hi,

I am a newbie starting out as an out of state investor. Have started out in Austin getting 2 duplexes. But ended up being a lot of negative cashflow on both.

Hey Mayuresh, I really like Cleveland, Ohio for cash-flow. I worked out there for a couple months and know the area decently well. Let me know how I can help you out

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 13 2024, 18:39

Hi Mayuresh,

What are you priorities (cash flow, appreciation, competition, etc)? Cleveland is a very popular place for cash flow and some cities in Austin has done well in appreciation

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mayuresh Kshirsagar
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 13 2024, 18:52

I’m looking to buy and hold with mainly appreciation in mind. But would also prefer a not so negative cash flow.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 14 2024, 09:25

Hi,

Hi Mayuresh, personally not a huge fan of the Cleveland market because it's losing population year to year and companies aren't moving there. If you're looking into your next market, I would recommend Columbus Ohio. You can find positive cash flowing properties here that hit the 1% rule and there's tons of huge appreciation potential. A lot of my out of state real estate clients really like this market because the macroeconomics look so good for this market - population is growing, job growth is growing, and so many companies moving and developing here. Lastly, price point is still super cheap - you can find deals for under $200k! Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 14 2024, 11:26

Hey Mayuresh, Cleveland is a great market to invest in if you're looking for cash-flow. Because of that low barrier to entry, plenty of investors from all over are looking at this city. I highly suggest working with an investor friendly agent so you don't buy in the wrong location.

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 15 2024, 02:57

Hi, my clients as well as myself would definitely agree that Ohio is a great state to invest in real estate. It is a hot spot for real estate come check it out and reach out if you have questions. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
  • Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio
Replied Jul 15 2024, 07:05

Hi,

Hey Mayuresh, Cleveland is definitely a great spot for targeting cash flow. Check out areas like Lakewood, Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre, Edgewater, Jefferson and West Boulevard. These are some places that are good to explore.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jul 15 2024, 07:52

@Mayuresh Kshirsagar   
I would recommend being in areas on the West Side of Cleveland like West Blvd, Cudell, Old Brooklyn, Clark Fulton, Edgewater, Jefferson, and Brooklyn Centre. The reason is the rent-to-price ratio is good so you can cash flow, and most of the West side doesn’t have a Point of sale inspection which is really annoying 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Kocent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 15 2024, 08:44

@Mayuresh Kshirsagar

Hi Mayuresh,

I have heard areas like Cleveland and Columbus are great areas to start out as an out of state investor. I would definitely exhaust options there and check every avenue for good deals. In addition, Pittsburgh, PA is a similar market and has a very low barrier of entry.

I work here in Pittsburgh as an agent working directly with investors every day. We often work with out of state, and even out of country investors. I recommend adding it to your list as a possible location to invest in. If you like what you see, I'd be happy to connect further and try to find investment properties for you!

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 15 2024, 09:45

I'm seeing a lot more properties in Cleveland coming on the market lately that are looking good for cash flow! It just really depends on whether you're looking to invest in single or multifamily properties, how much you're looking to spend, and what type of neighborhoods you feel comfortable investing in. 

Obviously the C and D neighborhoods will offer higher cash flow at a lower price point, but there's also some good opportunities in A- to B neighborhoods depending on what your strategy is.  

But like Patrick points out, each city has their own processes and some have point of sale violations, and Cleveland is supposed to start doing this in the fall, so the best thing you can do is to find an experienced agent / broker who can help navigate these issues with precision and ease!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Bui
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Midwest
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Midwest
Replied Jul 15 2024, 10:06

Hi, I think the midwest is a great place to start. I'm based in Seatle but have 9 doors across Memphis and Detroit. I've also looked extensively into Cleveland. Happy to connect and knowledge share if you are interested.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 15 2024, 13:28

@Mayuresh Kshirsagar Detroit is one of the best markets in the Midwest right now!

Just Google Detroit and read what's going on here:)

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Your Nationwide Lending Partner in 47 States! Unbeatable rates & expedited loan programs for busy investors. Save more with a $550 credit today.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 15 2024, 16:19

I recommend spending some time educating yourself on how to analyze properties to prevent you from making the same mistake again. Read "Long-Distance Real Estate Investing" by David Greene and watch videos from Dave Meyer to learn about the hottest markets in 2024.

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 15 2024, 22:59

Out of state investing is not for everyone. More people on BP post about successes than the lessons they learned. Sometimes it's better to start in your own back yard to mitigate rookie mistakes. If you do invest out of state make sure you have a solid team lined up that gives brutally honest feedback on the numbers from day one- BUT ALSO THE EXIT STRATEGY. Often people fail to inquire deeply about because no one can see into the future. If you have to sell quickly or hold for 10 years what do those locations do for you in the property you pick? Very important to ask your team about that. 

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 16 2024, 05:11

Hi Maryuresh, welcome to Bigger Pockets! While I can't speak to investing in Austin and Peoria due to my lack of experience in those areas, I can definitely vouch for Cleveland as a fantastic option, especially if you're seeking cash flow properties. I suggest thoroughly exploring the neighborhoods in Cleveland, with a particular focus on the west side. There, you can typically expect cash flow ranging from 10-18%. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH & Columbus OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH & Columbus OH
Replied Jul 17 2024, 06:47

Hi,

Cleveland has a lot of duplexes available in rental heavy areas that cash flow with purchase prices under 200,000. You can stack those up and pay the debt down 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jul 17 2024, 06:50

I recommend Kansas City too :)

User Stats

Votes
Najma Osman
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 18 2024, 14:59

Hi @Mayuresh Kshirsagar

Welcome to the world of real estate investing! It's good to hear that you've jumped in with your two duplexes in Austin, even though they haven't worked out as planned. Starting out is the hardest part for most. 
While Cleveland, Austin, and Peoria are all good markets, I'd recommend considering Columbus, Ohio, as well. Cleveland is a better market for cashflow but Columbus offers a stable and growing market with a strong rental demand, and diverse economy. I'd be happy to help you explore opportunities here and provide more detailed insights. Feel free to reach out!

Reafco - Najma Osman Logo