Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Out of State Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nakul Patel
Votes |
Looking to buy investment property

Nakul Patel
Posted

Hello All,

Excited to be here. Looking for guidance on buying our first investment property in Southern California or in Ohio (around Columbus)  to start off with . 

Should we buy and market for S8 tenant or without ? Pro and/or Cons to consider ? 

Is it required to put down 15-25% down payment for investment homes ? 

Any other guidance and/tips will be greatly appreciated ! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hello and welcome! Here's some guidance on buying your first investment property in Southern California or Columbus, Ohio:

Down payment:

• For investment properties, lenders typically require 15-30% down payment on your first investment
  • 15% down is possible with excellent credit (700+ score)
  • 20-25% down is more common, especially for multi-unit properties

Section 8 considerations:
Pros:

• Guaranteed portion of rent from government
  • Potential for longer-term tenants
  • May be easier to fill vacancies in some areas

Cons:

• More paperwork and inspections required
  • Rent amounts set by local housing authority
  • Potential property damage concerns

Other tips:

• Research local markets carefully - price trends, rental rates, etc.
  • Factor in all costs - taxes, insurance, maintenance, vacancies
  • Consider starting with a single-family home or small multi-unit
  • Build a team - real estate agent, property manager, contractors
  • Have cash reserves beyond just the down payment
  • Understand landlord-tenant laws in your chosen location

I'd recommend talking to local real estate agents in both areas to get more specific market insights. Starting with a private lender loan and standard tenants may be simpler for your first property. Let me know if you have questions on funding and I will be happy to talk to you.

Best,

Jackson

User Stats

Votes
Evan Hopple
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied

Hi @Nakul Patel, welcome to BP

I can't speak for California, but you don't have to market specifically for Section 8 tenants in Ohio. Individuals with a Section 8 voucher will typically seek the nicest housing that does not exceed their voucher limit. Wherever you invest, I recommend hiring a property manager who is highly knowledgeable about Section 8 and its frequently changing guidelines.

Putting down at least 20% ensures the best rates and avoids any PMI payments.

Good luck!

Reafco Logo
BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Nakul Patel:

Hello All,

Excited to be here. Looking for guidance on buying our first investment property in Southern California or in Ohio (around Columbus)  to start off with . 

Should we buy and market for S8 tenant or without ? Pro and/or Cons to consider ? 

It's beneficial to target both Section 8 tenants and self-pay tenants. This expands your possibilities. You can make a 15% down payment on 1-4 unit investment properties. You just need to know which lenders to approach.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Paolucci
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied
Quote from @Nakul Patel:

Hello All,

Hi @Nakul Patel. I'm originally from San Francisco CA (started off as an out of state investor in 2021) and have no desire to become a landlord in CA. Here's why (coming up on the November ballot for CA)--> "Justice for Renters Act"

I'm a fan of Section 8 and have couple section 8 rentals. 

Pros
- Guaranteed money from the govt that you won't have to chase down your renters for. 
- Tenants are incentivized to not damage the property (can lose their voucher if they are found liable)
- In my experience, tenants tend to stay for longer periods of time rather than non-section 8 tenants

Cons
- The unit is required to meet a certain standard and pass an inspection prior to tenant occupying the unit 
- Tenants tend to have a lower credit score than most landlords were prefer 

Happy to connect and share my experiences as an out of state investor and share some additional tips. 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Replied
For your first investment property, I'd stick with marketing to standard tenants rather than Section 8. As you gain experience, your might change your marketing strategy. Part of that experience might be that you rent to a S8 tenant to learn about it. There are more requirements that makes for more work and more potential liabilities for you.
Down payment will depend on the bank, but generally an investment property will need a commercial loan. In my experience, it'll be 20% down.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hey there! Welcome to the investment world, and congrats on taking the first steps!

When it comes to renting to Section 8 (S8) tenants, there are definitely pros and cons to consider:

Pros of S8 Tenants:

• Guaranteed Rent: The government will pay a portion (sometimes all) of the rent, so you'll have consistent cash flow.
  • High Demand: There's often a waiting list for S8 housing, meaning less vacancy time.

Cons:

• Property Inspections: Your property will need to pass regular inspections, and repairs/maintenance must meet specific standards.
  • Tenant Screening: Just like with non-S8 tenants, tenant quality can vary, so thorough screening is still essential.

As for the down payment, yes, most lenders will require 15-25% down for investment properties. The exact percentage depends on factors like your credit score, the type of loan, and whether you’re buying single-family homes or multi-units.

A few tips:

1. Research both markets thoroughly (Southern California vs. Columbus, OH) in terms of cash flow vs. appreciation. Columbus might offer better cash flow, while SoCal could appreciate faster.
  2. Consider your property management strategy—if you're not local to the property, having a reliable manager in place is crucial, especially with S8 tenants.
  3. Crunch the numbers: Make sure the deal works in your favor with or without S8 tenants, factoring in all expenses, vacancy rates, and maintenance costs.

Hope this helps! Best of luck on your first investment!

User Stats

Votes
Nakul Patel
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Benjamin Aaker:
For your first investment property, I'd stick with marketing to standard tenants rather than Section 8. As you gain experience, your might change your marketing strategy. Part of that experience might be that you rent to a S8 tenant to learn about it. There are more requirements that makes for more work and more potential liabilities for you.
Down payment will depend on the bank, but generally an investment property will need a commercial loan. In my experience, it'll be 20% down.
Thank you ! 

User Stats

Votes
Nakul Patel
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Cheek:

Hey there! Welcome to the investment world, and congrats on taking the first steps!

When it comes to renting to Section 8 (S8) tenants, there are definitely pros and cons to consider:

Pros of S8 Tenants:

• Guaranteed Rent: The government will pay a portion (sometimes all) of the rent, so you'll have consistent cash flow.
  • High Demand: There's often a waiting list for S8 housing, meaning less vacancy time.

Cons:

• Property Inspections: Your property will need to pass regular inspections, and repairs/maintenance must meet specific standards.
  • Tenant Screening: Just like with non-S8 tenants, tenant quality can vary, so thorough screening is still essential.

As for the down payment, yes, most lenders will require 15-25% down for investment properties. The exact percentage depends on factors like your credit score, the type of loan, and whether you’re buying single-family homes or multi-units.

A few tips:

1. Research both markets thoroughly (Southern California vs. Columbus, OH) in terms of cash flow vs. appreciation. Columbus might offer better cash flow, while SoCal could appreciate faster.
  2. Consider your property management strategy—if you're not local to the property, having a reliable manager in place is crucial, especially with S8 tenants.
  3. Crunch the numbers: Make sure the deal works in your favor with or without S8 tenants, factoring in all expenses, vacancy rates, and maintenance costs.

Hope this helps! Best of luck on your first investment!

Thank you ! 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied
Quote from @Nakul Patel:

Hello All,

Welcome aboard.

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied
Quote from @Nakul Patel:

Hello All,

Hey Nakul! 20% is the absolute minimum I have seen for non owner occupied properties, 25% down is the most common, and what I would say to expect for a lender to require. 

S8 is good because you are "guaranteed" getting your rent every month, they are held to standards that normal tenants aren't, you can get way higher rent, and more. They are generally conceived as bad, with exceptions to people having nightmares, but most of that likely has to do with bad screening. 

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied

@Nakul Patel I know of a property in Southern California that needs some work on it. Send me a DM and I’ll make the connection for you.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#5 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#5 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

S8 is just trading one set of tenant problems, for another set.

It is NOT a cure-all!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied

If you are looking into Section 8, I recommend you check the Columbus market. Any C-class neighborhoods are more geared towards Section 8 and long term renters. Let me know how I can help Nakul!

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied

@Nakul Patel

Welcome to BP! SoCal and Columbus OH are two incredibly different markets. 

People are having success and failure in every market. 

If you have enough money to purchase something in So Cal, I'd recommend exploring the option of purchasing something elsewhere potentially in cash. 

We've seen some pretty amazing deals on market from sellers who just want to offload their property here in Reno, NV. 

Section 8 has pros and cons. A lot of investors in here that specialize in it. Some helpful responses with the positives and negatives above. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied

@Nakul Patel
If you are looking to invest in 2-4 units you'll have to put down 25% if you plan to get a conventional loan. You could get away with 20% down with DSCR the rate will just be a bit higher.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Nakul Patel:

Hello All,

Hi Nakul! If you're looking into Columbus OH, you can make 15% down payment depending on the lender you will use. Pros and cons have been mentioned already and I agree with them - as an investor who owns Section 8 properties. I do personally think that Section 8 can be a great investment if tenants are screened properly. But for your first, I would suggest aiming for a turnkey or minor rehab properties and marketing them to self-pay tenants. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have!