Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Akshay Bhaskaran
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Any successful BRRR in OHio?

Akshay Bhaskaran
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jul 16 2024, 15:54

Hello BP Community,

I'd like to connect with you to get your knowledge and experience on any of your BRRRs in Ohio. It can be anywhere in OH -- Cleveland, Columbus, Akron, or anywhere, and here's what I'm specifically looking for:

1. What are some of the cities in OH that you would recommend to invest? Cleveland, Akron, Columbus is all I know.
2. I've always had an assumption that OH is a Ca$h Flow market and not an Appreciation market. I mean, once we get off-market property and do some rehab, we can force appreciate it, but what about the later natural appreciation?
3. When you invest in OH, I've heard some good schools, and some decent employers like Progressive, Cleveland Clinic etc. -- but, which one would you choose and why? Coz Strongsville has good schools, but less employers. 

Looking forward to getting some great guidance from you all on getting my BRRR started in Ohio.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Taken
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 16 2024, 17:33
Quote from @Akshay Bhaskaran:

Hello BP Community,

I'd like to connect with you to get your knowledge and experience on any of your BRRRs in Ohio. It can be anywhere in OH -- Cleveland, Columbus, Akron, or anywhere, and here's what I'm specifically looking for:

1. What are some of the cities in OH that you would recommend to invest? Cleveland, Akron, Columbus is all I know.
2. I've always had an assumption that OH is a Ca$h Flow market and not an Appreciation market. I mean, once we get off-market property and do some rehab, we can force appreciate it, but what about the later natural appreciation?
3. When you invest in OH, I've heard some good schools, and some decent employers like Progressive, Cleveland Clinic etc. -- but, which one would you choose and why? Coz Strongsville has good schools, but less employers. 

Looking forward to getting some great guidance from you all on getting my BRRR started in Ohio.

I'm happy to make the connection with one of our borrower's. They borrow and wholesale deals in ohio. Shoot me a text and I'll make the connection.

User Stats

Votes
Kerlous Tadres
Pro Member
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 17 2024, 06:06

Hello BP Community,

Hey Akshay,

I invest here in the Columbus market and there are some really affordable deals here. I can say that Columbus is more of an appreciation market than the other markets. Let me know if you have any questions for me

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 17 2024, 06:31

UMM YESS, for the last 10 years. Now sure the high cash flow of 30% nets have decreased as pricing has doubled, tripled (all in 35- 40k, now, 100k-140k) and much more so your assumption is incorrect. (Cleveland markets) but sill great ROI. I just closed on a 3 br all in will be 65k ( pp 40k reno 25k) YES all in, Rent will be 1600. value is about 125k. Closing today on a duplex, all in 90k, rents 900/900, value about 130k This is my norm. I can provide 100s of examples.

BTW look how incorrect you were, see this is what happens when people sit on the internet and THINK they are " learning" 

44109 (median home price went from roughly 50k to 125k in 8 years)

https://www.zillow.com/home-values/77009/cleveland-oh-44109/

44102 (median home price went from roughly 30k to 120k in 8 years)

https://www.zillow.com/home-values/77002/cleveland-oh-44102/

44106 (median home price went from roughly 100k to 200k in 8 years)

https://www.zillow.com/home-values/77006/cleveland-oh-44106/

All the best

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#5 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#5 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 17 2024, 06:52

Hello BP Community,

A lot of Ohio has appreciated a lot. Columbus, Ohio, and the rest of Central Ohio, has seen a lot of appreciation due to the jobs and population coming to the area

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 17 2024, 06:58

Hello BP Community,

Hey you can look into Cleveland, OH. I renovate 50+ houses/year through the BRRRR / Flip methods and also help dozens of agents do the same. Just make sure you have a great contracting crew in place before you take on any value add type investing.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 17 2024, 10:01

Hey Akshay,

I'd say OH has both appreciation and cashflow, markets. A lot of cities in Ohio are appreciating, but some are growing faster than others.

Columbus, Ohio is a great market to consider if you're leaning towards appreciation. Multiple, billion dollar companies are investing heavy in our area, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon. Which will bring plenty of other investors and general business to the area. I moved here from Florida after seeing the projected growth.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#5 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#5 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 17 2024, 10:12

Hello BP Community,

Hi Akshay, Columbus Ohio is a great real estate market for finding BRRRR opportunities. One of my clients recently purchased a 4/2 single family house that was positive cash flowing, hit the 1% rule, and was able to execute a full cash out refinance so it was a clean BRRRR! It's definitely still possible to find great BRRRR opportunities! Anything that you buy in Columbus Ohio will appreciate like crazy due to how much population growth, job growth, and companies are moving/developing here (for example Intel, Honda, Amazon, FB, Google, Nationwide, etc) - the macroeconomics look amazing here. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied Jul 17 2024, 12:08

You’re late to the party, but its still possible, you will just be getting the deals all of the establish investors have passed over. 

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 17 2024, 13:05
They're definitely still out there, they're just a bit harder to find but it's just really about having a good contractor that can get you accurate quotes for how much the rehab will be and an experience realtor / broker who can give you accurate ARVS for what the property will be worth once the work is finished and helping you find these deals as soon as they hit the market, or has a good source for off the market properties that might be viable.
New Forest Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 17 2024, 13:25
Quote from @Michael P.:

You’re late to the party, but its still possible, you will just be getting the deals all of the establish investors have passed over. 

Not true, I get deals weekly, off market. I just closed on a 3 br in Lee Harvard, nobody even knew about it. Closing tomorrow on a duplex e 128th, nobody knows about. Its ALL about your network. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied Jul 17 2024, 13:29
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Michael P.:

Not true, I get deals weekly, off market. I just closed on a 3 br in Lee Harvard, nobody even knew about it. Closing tomorrow on a duplex e 128th, nobody knows about. Its ALL about your network. 

You are the established investor I mentioned 😘

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 17 2024, 19:30

Hello BP Community,

Hi Akshay,

I'm a property manager and agent in Cleveland as well as from the area and it depends on the type of investor you are. Great areas for cash flow and full to little rehab are suburbs like Cleveland Heights, Euclid and Shaker Hts. Euclid has a brand new school and Shaker is decent. Another great option would be Lakewood and they have a great school system. If you're looking for more long term and want a trendy neighborhood, look at Tremont and Gordon Square area. Strongsville is a more high end suburb so although you are able to invest there, its not generally done

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 18 2024, 05:44

1. If you’re looking for cash flow, check out the west side of Cleveland and Akron. For appreciation, Columbus is your best bet. Also, take a look at multifamilies in Dayton—they're great for cash flow too.

2. I’d go with Columbus if you want appreciation. Homes here don’t usually hit the 1% rule, unless you’re in a C-class neighborhood. But with Intel's $20 billion plant, Google's three data centers, and land buys by Amazon and Meta, Columbus is worth it!

3. For the Cleveland market, try finding properties near the Cleveland Clinic—it's ranked as the top clinic in the U.S. and can be a solid investment spot.

If there's anything I can do, please let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 18 2024, 23:14

Hi Akshay,

Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus are cities I often come across my investor clients. The truth is, if you can execute, BRRRR can work in all of those cities so it's a matter of preference - whether you prioritize cash flow or appreciation, price range, if you know anyone, school zones, etc. If you want an in-depth view I would:

- Research government statistics (population growth, median prices, appreciation, etc)

- Qualitative research

- Go to meetups, talk to investors (you won't find it hard to find someone investing out of state in OH)

- Use softwares like rentometer, Vestmap, etc

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 19 2024, 10:35

Hello BP Community,

BRRRR is possible in Greater Cincinnati, but just like everywhere else, at least properties on market, don't expect to pull all your money out. If you need to pull all of it out to make it work, it is your preference of course, but expect to do more digging than the public MLS, even wholesalers

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 20 2024, 01:31
Quote from @Ko Kashiwagi:

Hi Akshay,

Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus are cities I often come across my investor clients. The truth is, if you can execute, BRRRR can work in all of those cities so it's a matter of preference - whether you prioritize cash flow or appreciation, price range, if you know anyone, school zones, etc. If you want an in-depth view I would:

- Research government statistics (population growth, median prices, appreciation, etc)

- Qualitative research

- Go to meetups, talk to investors (you won't find it hard to find someone investing out of state in OH)

- Use softwares like rentometer, Vestmap, etc

that's what I always say. Who is building, developing, flipping, etc in your area. someone has to be doing it and making money. look at their business plan, see how they are doing, try to do better. 

User Stats

Votes
Samantha Fedor
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 25 2024, 06:07

I work for a property management company here in Cincinnati. Still lots of folks looking to buy and sell here. Are you planning to visit Ohio to look around at areas you think you might be interested any time soon?