Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bruno L.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Are condo-hotels good investments?

Bruno L.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Houston, TX
Posted

Hello everyone - I am considering investing in a so called "condo-hotel" in the Orlando/ Kissimmee area. What's appealing to me is that the hotel itself can manage the rentals as well as the possibility of visiting Orlando a few times a year (I live in Houston). Does anyone have experience with "condo-hotels" who can advice me on this? What sort of information should I focus on as I approach the different offerings? I'm a newbie by the way. Thanks so much.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Pillow
  • Realtor
  • Destin, Fl
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Destin, Fl
Replied
Quote from @Bruno L.:

Hello everyone - I am considering investing in a so called "condo-hotel" in the Orlando/ Kissimmee area. What's appealing to me is that the hotel itself can manage the rentals as well as the possibility of visiting Orlando a few times a year (I live in Houston). Does anyone have experience with "condo-hotels" who can advice me on this? What sort of information should I focus on as I approach the different offerings? I'm a newbie by the way. Thanks so much.

I can speak for our area down here in Destin Florida and The Palms of Destin is one of those condotels that are great. They allow for self management and have so many amenities. It's a great STR property that I recommend to many of the first time investors because of how simple it is to manage.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

If they manage for you, they usually take a pretty hefty bite of your nightly. $60K/year sounds like a lot until you subtract 45% and pay the mortgage, taxes and HOA with what's left. Also, some that do allow self management do not allow your guests access to all of the amenities.

Basically, run your numbers and read the fine print carefully. 

Hospitable logo
Hospitable
|
Sponsored
Free eBook: The Ultimate STR Guide Over 100 pages of focused knowledge to help you launch and scale your short-term rental business.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Bruno L.:

Call it whatever you want. It's a condo that is rented for different lengths of time. There will be management fees, they will not be cheap, and they will increase over time. You should do the math and go in with eyes wide open. I don't think it's a good idea for a new investor because you don't know enough to ask the right questions and protect yourself.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Weigum
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surfside Beach, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Surfside Beach, SC
Replied

Hi @Bruno L.

Definitely don't us the onsite management. As others have stated, they will take 40-50% of your Gross revenue. That is not an investment. 

In Myrtle Beach we help people get units in Condotel's all the time. If you self manage or get a good PM it can be a good investment. Just know that the financing requirements for Condotel's is different than regular homes. Most big banks will not lend on Condotel's. I recommend finding a good agent who knows the in's and out's of the area and specializes in Condotel's for investment purposes.

Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied

@Bruno L. I will echo the sentiments of those who posted before me. I have helped a few clients analyze some of these and the numbers never work. Unless you plan to get a lot of use out of it and really just want it to pay for itself, it will likely not be an investment, but a write off. Most in Orlando that I know of, allow guests access to amenities if you self manage and you will have to charge them a 'daily resort fee', and to me, that is nickel and diming your guests...no matter how many times you tell them that its' extra, you'll get a bad review saying "we couldn't use the pool unless we paid $XX and that will look bad on you. 

There are several other resort communities with 'regular' condos and have great amenties that I would suggest before going down this road.

Best of luck to you!

Shawn McCormick Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nick Belsky
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Votes |
  • Residential and Commercial Broker
Replied

@Bruno L.

If you are planning on financing, @Michael Weigum has hit the nail on the head.  Condotels are not a popular item to lend on for most lenders.  Most lenders will want 30% or more down on them.  There are very few I know of who will do 25% down.  Whereas, non-warrantable condos are much better received by lenders.  Be prepared for a condo review requirement from the lender as well.  I know of only one who does not require a review at all. Be aware of the ins and outs of the lending side with these property types.  You may want to speak with a mortgage broker who can advise you on the financing side you don't run into any unexpected surprises later on down the road.

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Schanne
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Princeton, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Princeton, NJ
Replied

@Bruno Ligutti - it is unlikely to pencil in your favor. I rented a gorgeous Airbnb 3/2.5 townhouse in Orlando / Davensport for $100/night in off season (walking distance to restaurants, grocery, etc. and maybe 15 minutes to the parks). I saw the owner had paid about $200k for it a few years ago and the current zestimate was maybe $250k. I’m positive the owner managed it himself with just hiring a cleaning crew to come check it. I think you may be happier with something like this than a condo-tel.

I always ask myself - ok- why is the owner selling?

Also, often condos have higher property taxes (sometimes double) than if you bought an equivalent fraction of an apartment building jointly with other investors.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Lender
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied
Quote from @Bruno L.:

Condotels are set up for the sponsor to make the same profit as if they owned the property, without the capital investment.  Guess who is supporting their vastly increased LOI?  

User Stats

Votes
Jason Regan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leominster Ma
Replied

Condotells scare me.  I am actually currently fighting in Orange Beach AL because they want to call the condo there a condotell.  Here is my problems with a Condotel

1)  The condo is non warrentable.  That means I have to sell to another investor, cash, or some other portfolio loan.  I will not be able to sell to any gov't backed loan, which severly limits  my buyer pool

2) Its typically 30% down for a condotel and thet really destroys my COC return

3) If they run it for you that 25% off the top is going to destroy you profits. Its already hard in this market with a DSCR loan at 7% to make a good return

User Stats

Votes
Mike Chen
  • Realtor
  • Orlando
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Orlando
Replied

Hi

I'm a Realtor in the Orlando area and vacation homes is my speciality.  I personally own about 8 STRs near Disney World and own my own management company.