Are condo-hotels good investments?

Are condo-hotels good investments?

New to Real Estate · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello everyone - I am considering investing in a so called "condo-hotel" in the Orlando/ Kissimmee area. What's appealing to me is that the hotel itself can manage the rentals as well as the possibility of visiting Orlando a few times a year (I live in Houston). Does anyone have experience with "condo-hotels" who can advice me on this? What sort of information should I focus on as I approach the different offerings? I'm a newbie by the way. Thanks so much.

0Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

If they manage for you, they usually take a pretty hefty bite of your nightly. $60K/year sounds like a lot until you subtract 45% and pay the mortgage, taxes and HOA with what's left. Also, some that do allow self management do not allow your guests access to all of the amenities.

Basically, run your numbers and read the fine print carefully. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · OK · Member since 2020 · 138 posts · 165 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruno L.:

    Hello everyone - I am considering investing in a so called "condo-hotel" in the Orlando/ Kissimmee area. What's appealing to me is that the hotel itself can manage the rentals as well as the possibility of visiting Orlando a few times a year (I live in Houston). Does anyone have experience with "condo-hotels" who can advice me on this? What sort of information should I focus on as I approach the different offerings? I'm a newbie by the way. Thanks so much.


    I can speak for our area down here in Destin Florida and The Palms of Destin is one of those condotels that are great. They allow for self management and have so many amenities. It's a great STR property that I recommend to many of the first time investors because of how simple it is to manage.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    If they manage for you, they usually take a pretty hefty bite of your nightly. $60K/year sounds like a lot until you subtract 45% and pay the mortgage, taxes and HOA with what's left. Also, some that do allow self management do not allow your guests access to all of the amenities.

    Basically, run your numbers and read the fine print carefully. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruno L.:

    Hello everyone - I am considering investing in a so called "condo-hotel" in the Orlando/ Kissimmee area. What's appealing to me is that the hotel itself can manage the rentals as well as the possibility of visiting Orlando a few times a year (I live in Houston). Does anyone have experience with "condo-hotels" who can advice me on this? What sort of information should I focus on as I approach the different offerings? I'm a newbie by the way. Thanks so much.


     Call it whatever you want. It's a condo that is rented for different lengths of time. There will be management fees, they will not be cheap, and they will increase over time. You should do the math and go in with eyes wide open. I don't think it's a good idea for a new investor because you don't know enough to ask the right questions and protect yourself.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Santa Rosa Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 112 posts · 116 votes
    4y

    Hi @Bruno L.

    Definitely don't us the onsite management. As others have stated, they will take 40-50% of your Gross revenue. That is not an investment. 

    In Myrtle Beach we help people get units in Condotel's all the time. If you self manage or get a good PM it can be a good investment. Just know that the financing requirements for Condotel's is different than regular homes. Most big banks will not lend on Condotel's. I recommend finding a good agent who knows the in's and out's of the area and specializes in Condotel's for investment purposes.

    Good luck! 

  • Shawn McCormickPro Member
    Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
    4y

    @Bruno L. I will echo the sentiments of those who posted before me. I have helped a few clients analyze some of these and the numbers never work. Unless you plan to get a lot of use out of it and really just want it to pay for itself, it will likely not be an investment, but a write off. Most in Orlando that I know of, allow guests access to amenities if you self manage and you will have to charge them a 'daily resort fee', and to me, that is nickel and diming your guests...no matter how many times you tell them that its' extra, you'll get a bad review saying "we couldn't use the pool unless we paid $XX and that will look bad on you. 

    There are several other resort communities with 'regular' condos and have great amenties that I would suggest before going down this road.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    4y

    @Bruno L.

    If you are planning on financing, @Michael Weigum has hit the nail on the head.  Condotels are not a popular item to lend on for most lenders.  Most lenders will want 30% or more down on them.  There are very few I know of who will do 25% down.  Whereas, non-warrantable condos are much better received by lenders.  Be prepared for a condo review requirement from the lender as well.  I know of only one who does not require a review at all. Be aware of the ins and outs of the lending side with these property types.  You may want to speak with a mortgage broker who can advise you on the financing side you don't run into any unexpected surprises later on down the road.

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Bruno Ligutti - it is unlikely to pencil in your favor. I rented a gorgeous Airbnb 3/2.5 townhouse in Orlando / Davensport for $100/night in off season (walking distance to restaurants, grocery, etc. and maybe 15 minutes to the parks). I saw the owner had paid about $200k for it a few years ago and the current zestimate was maybe $250k. I’m positive the owner managed it himself with just hiring a cleaning crew to come check it. I think you may be happier with something like this than a condo-tel.

    I always ask myself - ok- why is the owner selling?

    Also, often condos have higher property taxes (sometimes double) than if you bought an equivalent fraction of an apartment building jointly with other investors.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruno L.:

    Hello everyone - I am considering investing in a so called "condo-hotel" in the Orlando/ Kissimmee area. What's appealing to me is that the hotel itself can manage the rentals as well as the possibility of visiting Orlando a few times a year (I live in Houston). Does anyone have experience with "condo-hotels" who can advice me on this? What sort of information should I focus on as I approach the different offerings? I'm a newbie by the way. Thanks so much.

    Condotels are set up for the sponsor to make the same profit as if they owned the property, without the capital investment.  Guess who is supporting their vastly increased LOI?  
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor · Leominster Ma · Member since 2019 · 305 posts · 162 votes
    4y

    Condotells scare me.  I am actually currently fighting in Orange Beach AL because they want to call the condo there a condotell.  Here is my problems with a Condotel

    1)  The condo is non warrentable.  That means I have to sell to another investor, cash, or some other portfolio loan.  I will not be able to sell to any gov't backed loan, which severly limits  my buyer pool


    2) Its typically 30% down for a condotel and thet really destroys my COC return


    3) If they run it for you that 25% off the top is going to destroy you profits. Its already hard in this market with a DSCR loan at 7% to make a good return

  • Realtor · Orlando · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    Hi

    I'm a Realtor in the Orlando area and vacation homes is my speciality.  I personally own about 8 STRs near Disney World and own my own management company.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.