Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Watson Hilaire
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Separating Common Water

Watson Hilaire
  • Melbourne, FL
Posted

Hey BP,

I keep passing on multi properties that have common water because I don't want to pay for any utilities. Now I am wondering if these are missed opportunities. Can anyone tell me ways to separate common water and what costs are involved?

Thanks,

Watson

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • RVA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • RVA
Replied

Yes, it could be an opportunity. The common way is RUBS, Ratio Utility Billing System. May or may not be legal or generally work in your market. Billing back water doesn't work everywhere, but it can be a huge NOI impact.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Weaner
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
  • Yardley, PA
Replied

I have 4 duplexes that are like this. I divide the water bill per capita and bill the tenant myself. It is annoying but not a deal breaker. I have not had any pushback.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

Take the average cost of water, divide that by the number of units, increase the rent by that amount. The only potential problem is that tenants may over-use the water and cause the bill to go up or they could ignore a toilet that constantly runs or some other issue that jacks up the bill. You just have to monitor it each month and keep an eye on things but it's very little effort.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Beth Matherne
  • Houma, LA
Votes |
  • Houma, LA
Replied

@Watson Hilaire

You can buy things online that will hook up to the water in the apartments and you can read them yourself then bill. You can divide the water bill per tenant. You can pay to have meters installed from the water department. You can raise the rent to be sure you are covering the cost. So many ways to cover paying the water.

We also state things in our lease like, No washing the car, no pools, things of that nature.

User Stats

Votes
Watson Hilaire
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied

Thanks everyone for the info!

User Stats

Votes
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Votes |
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Replied

@Watson Hilaire

The problem with jacking up the rent is that you price yourself out against the competitors in the area

User Stats

Votes
Manmath D.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Replied

I’m having this problem right now. I just bought a duplex. Live in one unit and rent out other unit. Previous landlord payed for water/sewer/garbage. I took over just like that. My monthly WSG bill is $250. I get a text from my tenant saying they just bought above ground pool and she will pay for extra water bill for the month. I really don’t like this. I’ve been thinking about this situation for some time now and thinking of options going forward. $250 is a huge bill for me to cover and have to split this with tenant. Since it’s going to be more than $100 jump for them per month, how do I smoothly get it done without causing any concern for us. 🤔

User Stats

Votes
Watson Hilaire
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied

@Manmath D. I wouldn't allow tenant to install above or below ground pool. Not only will this destroy your lawn but it will open you up to liability. You will need to make sure you let your Landlord/homeowner insurance aware so it gets covered. If the tenants are on month to month I would inform them in two months I am installing meters (via RUBS) to have them pay for all utilities. This should give them plenty of time to adjust their budget for the added expense or seek other housing. If they leave great because new tenants will not have a problem with paying utilities since it is from the start. 

User Stats

Votes
Johann Jells
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied
Originally posted by @Dennis M.:

@Watson Hilaire

The problem with jacking up the rent is that you price yourself out against the competitors in the area

Not if you make clear that water is included.  Around here rentals runs the whole gamut from nothing included to everything, even electric. I have a 4U property where I pay the heat as well as the water/sewer and the hot water. I realized that my cost wasn't the bills, it was the difference between what I built into the rent and what I paid.