Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • Rental Property Investor
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Boring Buy and Hold Investors

Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Posted Aug 2 2024, 04:09

Where are all my boring investors at? Does anyone else prefer good old buy-and-hold long-term rentals?

20-25% down, duplex, break even on cashflow in a promising area. That's what gets me excited. 

I've done major rehabs, owner financing, private money, partners, out-of-state investing, and Airbnb but still prefer the good ole long-term buy and hold. Even though they make less on paper. 

Am I the only one? 

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#3 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Aug 6 2024, 14:11
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Gregory Schwartz:

Where are all my boring investors at? Does anyone else prefer good old buy-and-hold long-term rentals?

20-25% down, duplex, break even on cashflow in a promising area. That's what gets me excited. 

I've done major rehabs, owner financing, private money, partners, out-of-state investing, and Airbnb but still prefer the good ole long-term buy and hold. Even though they make less on paper. 

Am I the only one? 

Well, the smart thing to do is both. Have rentals and also flip. The biggest mistake of my life was not keeping 50 or so more of the 500ish I flipped, MASSIVE mistake. Wealth is built not flipped. 

BTW I would never buy a property that does not cash flow less then 15% . All mine avg 15- 25% NET per year, based on cash purchase. If you are 100% counting on appreciation, well, that does not sit well with me, NOT saying its wrong just not for me. I like a check the following month after I close. 

All the best 

Why was it a massive mistake?

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 6 2024, 15:24
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Am I the only one? 

Well, the smart thing to do is both. Have rentals and also flip. The biggest mistake of my life was not keeping 50 or so more of the 500ish I flipped, MASSIVE mistake. Wealth is built not flipped. 

BTW I would never buy a property that does not cash flow less then 15% . All mine avg 15- 25% NET per year, based on cash purchase. If you are 100% counting on appreciation, well, that does not sit well with me, NOT saying its wrong just not for me. I like a check the following month after I close. 

All the best 

Because they all tripled quadrupled or more in price in the last 7 to 8 years 
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Ivan Terrero
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied Aug 6 2024, 16:26

@Gregory Schwartz

I believe John Schuab wrote a book about the.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Hunton
Pro Member
  • Granbury, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Granbury, TX
Replied Aug 6 2024, 16:27

I got my start in REI a little later than most here but since 2016 I still have all of the rentals (16 LTR) I have bought over the years. I am in the process of selling a portion of the portfolio but just switching from Class C properties to less problematic Class A properties. Long term rental all the way for me.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Aug 6 2024, 17:48
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Am I the only one? 

All the best 

Because they all tripled quadrupled or more in price in the last 7 to 8 years 

Exactly-- that's why appreciation should be the primary focus not sole one. It goes against your bold to a degree as 100% is a bad focus but it should be the primary focus. Each to their own like you say but appreciation is where the money is made in (finite) and (physical) assets. Always will be. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 6 2024, 20:35

@Gregory Schwartz the oldest and best strategy in my opinion. It’s designed to get rich slow, but it does get there.

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Sowell
  • Investor
  • Waianae, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Waianae, HI
Replied Aug 6 2024, 21:26

Back in th 1990's I bought fix an rented out my rehab and 10 years later sold for big bucks

I think these flip guy would be better off holding a few years before selling

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Aug 7 2024, 06:23

SOOOO what do you do to make money in the mean time while the wealth grows?

User Stats

Votes
John Oks
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pembroke Pines, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pembroke Pines, FL
Replied Aug 7 2024, 06:26

Am I the only one? 

Appreciation, cash flow and long term hold. That's why I work with build-to-rent developers.

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 7 2024, 06:53

Location, location, location...

People say the same story over and over: spend more time in market than timing it

• Real Estate Agent New Jersey (#2323863) and Pennsylvania (#RS3399189)

• 267-767-0111
  • [email protected]
Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Bellamy
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Replied Aug 7 2024, 07:01
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

Am I the only one? 

As I like to say, you all can go on the roller coasters while you will find me in the lazy river. That is how I also like my assets. No roller coasters anymore, give me the lazy river

Love the metaphor Chris. Haha!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 7 2024, 07:04

Am I the only one? 

Hey there!

I'm with you on the buy-and-hold long-term rentals! There's something solid and reassuring about investing in properties that can provide steady income over time, even if they don't look like the biggest moneymakers on paper.

In my real estate career, I've explored various avenues, from fix-and-flips to working with multi-family units and even considering out-of-state investments. Currently, I'm focused on selling new construction duplexes in downtown Indianapolis, which offer great potential for long-term investment.

While I'm still relatively new to the industry, I've found that consistency and reliability often trump the allure of high-risk, high-reward strategies. Long-term holds may seem "boring" to some, but they provide a dependable way to build equity and generate passive income over time. Plus, you get the added benefit of appreciating property values in promising areas.

It's always great to connect with fellow investors who appreciate the value of tried-and-true methods. Looking forward to exchanging more ideas and strategies here!

Best,
Ryan

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Aristotle Kumpis
  • Investor
  • Lake Forest, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lake Forest, CA
Replied Aug 7 2024, 08:08

Slow and steady wins the race. I'm a buy and hold investor. It's not too exciting so that's why people gloss over it. You don't get that high risk flipping return. But I tell you what, I'd rather have 10 small free and clear homes that are giving me cash flow each month, compared to a riskier investment.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Dureiko
  • Lender
  • Bolton, CT
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bolton, CT
Replied Aug 7 2024, 08:41

Am I the only one? 

Considering I only do boring DSCR loans. I'm right there with you! Tried and true.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 7 2024, 08:55

SOOOO what do you do to make money in the mean time while the wealth grows?

Flip props, and collect the rent 

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Tsitouridis
  • Investor
  • Astoria, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Astoria, NY
Replied Aug 7 2024, 10:01

I started with 3 2-family properties, then STR, almost bought a boutique motel, now back to good ol long term holds. Long term play, this is likely your best bet. I am a NYC contractor and partner is a RE broker. We invest in Albany NY now and the returns are great. Looking to get into larger, 20+ units now. Just need to get our private lenders on board!!

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Stephens
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 7 2024, 15:37

I do prefer buy and hold in Albany NY as well. I am from Brooklyn, NY and "discovered" Albany in 2021. It has good rent to price ratios but taxes are on the high side and I have found that I need to be diligent with oversight of property managers who run operations; especially with lower income tenants. I am just getting a handle on things.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Tinning
Pro Member
  • Mukilteo, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Mukilteo, WA
Replied Aug 7 2024, 19:06

@Gregory Schwartz 🙋🏻‍♂️

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 7 2024, 19:14
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Am I the only one? 

All the best 

Wow these numbers are nuts. I buy all cash most of the time and 25% is outstanding. I've never been close to that.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 8 2024, 04:53
Quote from @Stetson Oates:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Am I the only one? 

All the best 

Wow these numbers are nuts. I buy all cash most of the time and 25% is outstanding. I've never been close to that.

It used to be the norm 7-10 years ago in my market, now 15- 20% 

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Tsitouridis
  • Investor
  • Astoria, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Astoria, NY
Replied Aug 8 2024, 05:29
Quote from @Anthony Stephens:

I do prefer buy and hold in Albany NY as well. I am from Brooklyn, NY and "discovered" Albany in 2021. It has good rent to price ratios but taxes are on the high side and I have found that I need to be diligent with oversight of property managers who run operations; especially with lower income tenants. I am just getting a handle on things.

Let's link up sometime. I am in Queens NY. Always looking to connect with investors

User Stats

Votes
Ian Ippolito
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Aug 8 2024, 05:32

Am I the only one? 

Yes, I prefer long-term buy and hold.  Flipping is not a passive investment…it’s  actively running a business (and often with many unexpected headaches). And it comes with increased risk of loss in a severe downturn.

In my opinion, it can make sense when someone has more time than money. And at some point, the equation reverses and putting in the sweat equity is no longer worth it.
CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
#2 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Aug 8 2024, 05:35

This has been my strategy. Just base hits buying a few turn key SFR every year in C to C+ class hoods. I have almost zero turnovers because these people can't afford to buy a house or qualify. I've for 28 SFR and enjoying the passive income.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Aug 8 2024, 06:44

@John Morgan Grand Prairie isnt far from us in College Station! Where are your SFRs? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 8 2024, 07:11

It definitely has its place. It provides stability in an overall portfolio and sometimes gradual, more predictable returns. And the real estate itself isn't going anywhere.