Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jessica DiPonziano
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Small bedroom furniture layout recommendation

Jessica DiPonziano
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted

I have that awkward middle bedroom in a Philadelphia townhome I don't know what to do with. 

I have 2 bedrooms already with queen beds, the middle room I can fit a queen bed and 2 night stands but not much else, or I can put twins or bunkbeds and have room for dressers and stuff. In the 3.7 feet wall in the square nook is a window that goes pretty close to the floor and an air vent so I can't put anything there. There is just 1 closet with lots of shelves. What should I do?

My audience I was shooting for traveling nurses & displaced families

User Stats

Votes
Catherine McElwain
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • West Chester PA, USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • West Chester PA, USA
Replied

My opinion is bunk beds.  Either twin over twin, or twin over full.  That would be a good option for the "family" rental if you go that route.  

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

How about an office work from home space

• Real Estate Agent New Jersey (#2323863) and Pennsylvania (#RS3399189)

• 267-767-0111
  • [email protected]
Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate  Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jessica DiPonziano
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Alan Asriants:

I considered that, just wasn't sure if giving up a bedroom was a good idea. 

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied

@Jessica DiPonziano - What about making it flex space? You have a couch that pulls out and a desk (office)? Or a couch that pulls out and a tv (den)? We have this sleeper sofa and we absolutely love it. It's comfortable, and it also has storage. This is what we do with our slightly tighter space. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/friheten-sleeper-sectional-3-se...

Erin Spradlin Real Estate Consulting Logo

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied
Quote from @Alan Asriants:

@Alan Asriants - Agree. You could make it a flex space that has the option for a pull out v. making it a full-time bedroom. 

User Stats

Votes
Jessica DiPonziano
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Erin Spradlin:

@Jessica DiPonziano - What about making it flex space? You have a couch that pulls out and a desk (office)? Or a couch that pulls out and a tv (den)? We have this sleeper sofa and we absolutely love it. It's comfortable, and it also has storage. This is what we do with our slightly tighter space. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/friheten-sleeper-sectional-3-se...

Would it be ok to not have dressers and all in the flex space? Just trying to imagine how to compensate for an office, but also when the person uses it full time as a bedroom

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied

@Jessica DiPonziano - You do not need a dresser. You could put shelves with cloth bins on the wall to substitute. Also, if you have a closet, you could put the dresser in there. For smaller spaces, I also remove closet doors so that you have easier access to what's in the closet. (Also, as a real estate agent, I'm seeing this more and more in homes.) Bottom line: I don't think not having a dresser will keep anyone from renting from you. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Jessica DiPonziano  a murphy bed if you can do one. The  middle space would be open when the bed is up and you can put a desk in there too. They can use it for excercising when the bed is closed or with a small child they could add a crib. If you are going to use if for a family rental then bunks or a trundle. However no family is going to rent and put someone on a pullout sofa that isn't a temporary guest. Murphy is just a regular matress bed that folds up.  You likely won't find 3 travelers renting together most of the time.  I actually think you need to commit to a type of renter or the murphy gives you flexibility for a smaller family. just a jumble of thoughts on the topic.   It isn't as small as you think, just maybe awkward.

User Stats

Votes
Jessica DiPonziano
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Jessica DiPonziano  a murphy bed if you can do one. The  middle space would be open when the bed is up and you can put a desk in there too. They can use it for excercising when the bed is closed or with a small child they could add a crib. If you are going to use if for a family rental then bunks or a trundle. However no family is going to rent and put someone on a pullout sofa that isn't a temporary guest. Murphy is just a regular matress bed that folds up.  You likely won't find 3 travelers renting together most of the time.  I actually think you need to commit to a type of renter or the murphy gives you flexibility for a smaller family. just a jumble of thoughts on the topic.   It isn't as small as you think, just maybe awkward.

Yea the awkwardness of the shape is what is killing me. I figured it wouldn't be 3 travelers renting together. I have seen traveling nurses with a partner and a child on some requests, or generally 2 parents and 2 children. It's a 3 bedroom 2 floor house so I figured individual renters is not what to go for. What kind of renter would you look for with a 3bed/1.5ba house?

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Jessica DiPonziano  3/1.5 is definitely families but I would inclined to have that room as a flex room, office, child bedroom, excercise room, so the more you can do to make that happen the better.  I think you are looking at insurance placements or relocation, possibly military if you are in that kind of area.  

User Stats

Votes
Erin Spradlin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied
Quote from @Jessica DiPonziano:
Quote from @Colleen F.:

Yea the awkwardness of the shape is what is killing me. I figured it wouldn't be 3 travelers renting together. I have seen traveling nurses with a partner and a child on some requests, or generally 2 parents and 2 children. It's a 3 bedroom 2 floor house so I figured individual renters is not what to go for. What kind of renter would you look for with a 3bed/1.5ba house?

Yeah, the shape restrictions are why I've moved away from murphy beds. It is hard to plan a room when you will always be pulling down or putting up a bed. That said, some friends of mine bought a murphy bed on Wayfair that becomes a desk when it is tucked away. I stayed at their place for a week and loved it. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Harden
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied

Why not a futon? Create like a multi purpose use of the space so somebody can use that room as their living room and also their bedroom. This will create a space that feels larger because there are many possibilities that come with having a shape shifting bed... haha 

Futon is a multifunctional tool that isn't utilized as much as it should be.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Erin Spradlin the biggest issue with a murphy is the wall space and height, you have it or you don't. And sometimes you are blocked because the wall you need to put it on has a window.    If you are using one all the time you leave it down but most people if they put one in it is because you want to use the room for something else. They are not heavy. Looking at your room that 3 foot 7 bump out would fit a desk or dresser unless it is a closet. You just have to think smaller furniture.  I have seen the desk murphy and it is nice but my husband just made us two regular murphy's from a kit. Or another idea is put a single over queen bunk.  Don't like them but they are versatile. @Nathan Harden

@Nathan Harden  I just know you are one of those hard mattress people. Futons are just too uncomfortable. However they could win out over some pull outs. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Greenberg
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

I would only do a queen bed if you are renting by the room to traveling professionals. What percentage of the time  are you renting to families now? Most of our guests are looking for an office for WFH

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Adding a day bed could allow it to be more of a flex space with a bed as those above have previously mentioned. 

I wouldn't worry too much about a dresser if there is a closet already

User Stats

Votes
Jessica DiPonziano
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Harden:

Why not a futon? Create like a multi purpose use of the space so somebody can use that room as their living room and also their bedroom. This will create a space that feels larger because there are many possibilities that come with having a shape shifting bed... haha 

Futon is a multifunctional tool that isn't utilized as much as it should be.

I've used futons before but despite getting thick mattresses I haven't found them all that comfortable. Is there a particular one you recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Jessica DiPonziano
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Eric Greenberg:

I would only do a queen bed if you are renting by the room to traveling professionals. What percentage of the time  are you renting to families now? Most of our guests are looking for an office for WFH

I haven't started renting yet. I am getting my house ready. I do not plan to rent by the room

Yea as someone who works from home I am a fan of there at least being a desk to work out which i plan to have. Looks like leaning towards a trundle bed with a desk in this room might be the best option?

User Stats

Votes
Braeden Cobb
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied

Hey Jessica, if you are still looking for options we had a room in our vacation rental that has an awkward layout and we wanted to provide another bed to boost occupancy. We went with an electric murphy bed that actually rolls in and out of cabinetry. We have had the beds installed for about 4 years now and the reviews are great. PM if you'd like more details!

User Stats

Votes
Sara Plaisted
  • Interior Decorator
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Interior Decorator
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

@Braeden Cobb I'm curious about the mattresses... do they retreat back into the space on the other side of the wall (laying flat?), or do they roll/fold up behind the cabinetry on the wall (vertical)?  I just heard someone trying to explain this last month.  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Braeden Cobb
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Sara Plaisted:

@Braeden Cobb I'm curious about the mattresses... do they retreat back into the space on the other side of the wall (laying flat?), or do they roll/fold up behind the cabinetry on the wall (vertical)?  I just heard someone trying to explain this last month.  Thank you!

Hi! They roll up behind the cabinetry! They only need about 24 inches of depth to fit. If you would like more information feel free to pm me :)

User Stats

Votes
Sara Plaisted
  • Interior Decorator
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Interior Decorator
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

@Braeden Cobb Very cool!  Thank you!