Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Chris Furry
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma
Votes |
What do you do with guests that stay later than your checkout time?

Chris Furry
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma
Posted Jul 10 2024, 10:42

Do you have fees that you charge your guests that stay later than your checkout time without asking or requesting it?  We recently had guests stay and our checkout time is 11:00.  At 10:59 there was no movement outside the property.  I could still see trash and some of their personal property still outside.  I text the booker and reminded him of the checkout time.  Around 12:15 they left.  My cleaner was waiting around the corner till they left.  Without risking a bad review what do you have set in your checkout procedures?  

Thanks for the help.

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Mannix
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Replied Jul 10 2024, 11:29

Hi Chris,

My checkout time is also 11AM. At 11:05AM, I have an auto message through Airbnb send a 'thank you for staying with us, we hope you loved your time and will come back...'. If my cleaners arrive before the guests leave, they have instructions to knock on the door and get the guests moving along. Airbnb won't support a fee to the guest staying longer unless you have it in your listing or rules but if you do, and it was an inconvenience for you or your cleaning team, I would enforce the rules you've created. I always kill with kindness so in my late check-out fee message, I will say something like, I love that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to stay longer! Or, we understand things happen while packing up that may delay a check-out...unfortunately, our cleaning team charged us a fee as they waited to clean the property and we're passing this on. We hope to host you again in the future!"

If they give a retaliatory review, I would call Airbnb to have it removed.

~ Lindsey

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Metros
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 10 2024, 12:04

We clearly outline the early check-in and late check-out policies in the listing house rules and the automated messages we send out before check-in and before check-out.

IF there is a violation we will send them a late check-out fee payment request. If they do not respond, we will take this up with Airbnb support for a resolution claim. As long as it is in your house rules and you have evidence of them staying later, Airbnb will pay you out.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 10 2024, 12:08

I wouldn't worry about getting a bad review. The way I looked at it was this - most guests have just a few reviews, usually less than 5....so your 1 star review will take their average down by a LOT. But you will have/should have dozens or more reviews, so a 1 star from them will barely take your avergae down at all....plus you can reply to it and state the reason.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jul 10 2024, 13:04

Hey @Chris Furry, so most of our guests head out early before actual check out.

We do offer an extended check out time depending on if it is a back to back. Sometimes our cleaner doesn't get to the house until the day after if there isn't a guest coming the same day.

We also allow early check in if the house is empty and ready to go.

We don't charge for either of these options. It is a good way to drive 5 star reviews. Being flexible and accommodating is the way to go if you can.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 10 2024, 13:26

I'd just do as someone mentioned about.having the cleaners knock and say they have to get started.

I have had to call someone that was running late, but it is rare.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jul 10 2024, 19:08

You need to have some strict verbiage in your listing and your RA about this. That will keep most of it at bay. 

I wouldn't do much with this though, I Would just give them a review and on to the next one 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 11 2024, 08:20

We have a charging system for people who properly request, but if they just stay we really do not know until cleaners arrive (usually 30-60 mins post check out).  They alert the office and we call them and kindly nudge them out.  Also the cleaners nudge them out as well.  I can't remember getting a bad review ever for this.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Jul 12 2024, 08:11

We usually don't deal with late check-outs but would just politely nudge guests to get a move on. If it became a problem, we begin charging fees for it.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Shemp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Stewartsville, NJ
Replied Jul 14 2024, 09:45

Our checkout time is 10am and we communicate this to them in the House Rules, check-in message, day before checkout message, rental agreement, and on a list of rules on the back of the front door.

At 10:15am we send them an message asking if they have checked out because our cleaner contacted us and is waiting to get inside.  At 10:30am our cleaner will start knocking on the door.

One time we had a guest not leave until 11:00am and we charged him a $100 late fee that Airbnb paid us and we gave him a bad review.

Hope that helps!

Mike