Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Votes |
Want to know the best way to build your real estate network?

Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Posted Mar 14 2016, 08:39

No matter how you’re involved in real estate investing, I’d venture a guess that one of your main goals on BiggerPockets is networking. I know this is true because one of the most common questions we get at BiggerPockets is, “How can I make more connections on BiggerPockets?”

Well lucky for you, there is a simple answer: Post frequently on the forums.

There are dozens of ways to connect with people on BP, but I ran the numbers and the results are clear. People who post on the forums most frequently have the most profile views, and the most colleagues.

That makes sense, right? It doesn’t take a numbers whiz to see the connection: if you post, and build a reputation as a helpful and knowledgeable member of the community, people are going to want to connect with you.

And connections mean more deals seen, partners identified, and clients secured. A.K.A more money.

Still not convinced? Here’s some statistical nerdery to backup my claims:

I grabbed data for the 1,000 most-visited profiles on BiggerPockets. I then looked at correlations between profile views and forum posts, post votes, and number of colleagues. But before we get into that, a quick refresher on correlation in case you haven’t kept up on your stats knowledge since high school.

Here is the dictionary definition of correlation: a relation existing between phenomena or things or between mathematical or statistical variables which tend to vary, be associated, or occur together in a way not expected on the basis of chance alone.

In english? We’re measuring how changes in one variable affect changes in a second variable. So in our case: how does posting on the forums influence the number of profile views, or number of colleagues a member has?

And the reason stats nerds like me love correlation is that it is unit-agnostic. It tests the strength of a relationship between two variables, no matter if you’re measuring inches, pounds, housing prices, or forum votes. It’s a handy little tool.

I won’t bore you with the math to derive correlations, but I will explain a bit on how to interpret them. First, correlations are always a number between -1 and 1.

As you can see in the graphic above, a correlation of 0 means there is no linear relationship between the two variables (a change in variable A has no effect on variable B). A correlation of -1 means there is a very strong correlation, but the relationship is negative (one variables goes up, the other goes down). Lastly, a correlation of 1 means a strong positive relationship (both variables move together in the same direction).

So, back to how to make more connections on BiggerPockets. I ran a correlation matrix for the four variables: posts_count, profile_hits, votes_received, and colleague_count. Here are the results.

For our purposes we really just want to look at the numbers in BOLD right now.

profile_hitsposts_countvotes_receivedcolleague_count
profile_hits1.00
posts_count0.671.00
votes_received0.710.871.00
colleague_count0.700.540.491.00

Now that you’re an expert in correlations, we can see how strong these relationships are. 

As you can see the correlation between posts and profile hits is .67, a really strong positive relationship! This means that the more posts you have the more times people will look at your profile.

The correlation between votes and profile hits is even stronger, at .71. Meaning that if you write such great forum posts that people vote for you, you’re even more likely to get profile hits.

But what good is a profile view without a connection? Well, the correlation between profile hits and colleague count is .70, also really strong. More profile hits means more colleagues.

So in short: more posts = more profile views = more colleagues.

I also did some regression analysis, which I can’t explain in a single forum post, but trust me, it’s really cool. What I discovered is that 50% of your colleague count can be attributed to the number of forum posts you have. That’s crazy! There are tons of variables that contribute to how many colleagues you have, but one variable reigns supreme: forum posts.

Posting on the forums is the single best way to build your network on BiggerPockets.

So you want to make more real estate connections, find partners, and make more deals? POST!

Stay tuned for a follow up post on the monetary value of BP connections! 

If you have any questions about posting, correlations, statistical nerdery, or have some ideas for other data studies we should run, let me know! 

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Bryant
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Apr 6 2016, 18:22

Dave, that's good stuff to follow! Posting should be a to-do thing...for our RE, work. I find it to be therapeutic and a learning experience. 

Thanks for post.

User Stats

Votes
Keashawn Hunter
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Apr 6 2016, 20:40

I absolutely, love this thanks for sharing

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
River Elder
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Apr 7 2016, 11:05

Very well said, Dave Meyer. Your study convinced me to post my first comment! Woohoo!

User Stats

Votes
Lori Werth
  • Investor
  • Navarre, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Navarre, FL
Replied Apr 7 2016, 19:10

Great information!  Thanks for taking the time to do this and show us the value of the numbers.

Account Closed
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Apr 7 2016, 19:50

Great information, thank you @Dave Meyer

User Stats

Votes
Emma Watson
  • Investment Banker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investment Banker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 7 2016, 23:49

Great post!! I also include some tips. Start getting to local professional network events, establish connections with title firm's, attorneys, inspection firms, and top producer realtors. Keep in touch with this circle of contacts regularly, provide your professional help at all times, decision them to refer your clients while functioning on a transaction. This package of real estate services will be available to your clients, in time this smart service will generate repeated business from past clients and referral of new ones. For additional information, go to http://investmentbank.com/mergers-and-acquisitions/

User Stats

Votes
Michael Tucker
  • Investor
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bowie, MD
Replied Apr 8 2016, 05:47

@Dave Meyer SCIENCE!!!! 

Thanks for the post.

User Stats

Votes
Louis Simmons Jr.
  • Title Representative
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Title Representative
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 8 2016, 06:14

Landlord via Landlord

Landlord cheater, I  unknown from now i see , rent was 1,000 dollars renter it house not good condition I should check even whole house check up before paid the rent , but Landlord not give the list even room to room , bathroom, wash and dry has wrong wall pause and no dish-wash, house so small size , we know suppose be good for living comfortable, whole house still not condition found and foundation balance . I will be start become Landlord or property so not to tell who am will change and take over these house turnover  to new and rent it for me 1200 rent the or buy !  anyone agreement with me ?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Lipshay
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Apr 8 2016, 10:01

Yes, It's Always in the Math, whatever your into, there is always math involved! & so, with the "Math in Mind" & the "!Topic"!,  "Build that Network", Here it is! My name is Charles Earl Lipshay,   aka  the "Time Machine Builder", I am looking for people who want to Practice the Art of the Win/Win/Win in Real Estate, right now for me "Wholesaling", But not to exclude all other forms of Real Estate investing; for the Sake of  the "Everybody Network", of Real Estate, I mean it's your network too! This also brings me Back to my other Life/Biz Objective Goals, making Movie & Music Films! & from one end to the other Real Estate is almost always involved; I mean, do the Math!? & as for Networks, I'm always trying to build Networks, Lists, & so on So "Whenever Your Ready! "Let's Make Biz"! & oh Yeah, "NETWORKS"! It's in the Math! Have a Fantastic Eternity! Manufacturing a Fantastic Eternity for Everybody! Infinite Blessing & Thank You Very Much, 

User Stats

Votes
Louis Simmonsjr
  • Property Manager
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 8 2016, 17:11

Well can fix it networks looking forward to house or industrial, commercial niche even if it were sell or buy it great done anything anywhere else see networks fixed the process prices are.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Peters
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Apr 8 2016, 23:15

Excellent push forward for me to add my first response to a thread! This was an excellent ice breaker- thank you @Dave Meyer, message received.

User Stats

Votes
Louis Simmonsjr
  • Property Manager
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 9 2016, 08:47

I know take picture of the house able network to sent see if they were going to buy the house or rental the property. 

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Maxwell Lewis
  • Chelsea, MA
Votes |
  • Chelsea, MA
Replied Apr 10 2016, 09:46

Plus it helps you stay active and motivated talking constantly to like minded people with new perspectives

User Stats

Votes
Nick Sabat
  • Investor / Borrower / Contractor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Investor / Borrower / Contractor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Apr 11 2016, 03:26

I've been around the net for a long time - when forums and boards were just mere, IRC (Internet Rely Channel) rooms. I've even been kicked out of a few! :D

But, yes the more you chat or contribute, the more you meet people and ultimately become "friends" or colleagues. No doubt.

Me personally would like to build a team or teams - Attorney, CPA, Investors, Real Estate Broker, Title Search Company, etc., etc. in the Pittsburgh, PA area. My goal by the end of the year - to be quite successful in the Real Estate Market and in my construction business.

One question however, on your stats and awards, there is a place for referrals - how is it that one gets accredited for a referral? Just asking - I may have some friends that would be interested in joining and would like the credit for bringing them on board - this too is to help built my colleague list and references, if possible.

User Stats

Votes
Comfort S.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 11 2016, 10:44

another reason I like nerds lol. great analysis @Dave Meyer thanks for the post!!

User Stats

Votes
Shawnee McGee
  • Investor
  • Citrus Heights, Ca
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Citrus Heights, Ca
Replied Apr 11 2016, 13:10

Great information and so good to know as a newbie to the community. Thanks for sharing!

Account Closed
  • Camano Island, WA
Votes |
  • Camano Island, WA
Replied Apr 11 2016, 18:18

This makes sense. It takes time and effort to manage your career and business. What you put into it allows you to grow and reap the rewards. 

User Stats

Votes
Katie Brewer
  • Driftwood, TX
Votes |
  • Driftwood, TX
Replied Apr 11 2016, 19:59

As a newbie... That sounds great, it might be a good idea to have a few deals under your belt too bc I find no action from the fee posts Ive made. Haha.

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Chisolm
  • Vendor
  • Cayce, SC
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Cayce, SC
Replied Apr 12 2016, 01:02

Dave Meyer nice

User Stats

Votes
Karishma Rama
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 12 2016, 16:55

I agree!  I have been told this time and time again.  It's a proven method!

Karishma

User Stats

Votes
Brian Loper
  • Red Bank, NJ
Votes |
  • Red Bank, NJ
Replied Apr 12 2016, 18:26

Thanks for the wakeup call. I'm a newbie and may be guilty of posting and not responding to posts as much. That changes with the this post. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Conrey
  • Berthoud, CO
Votes |
  • Berthoud, CO
Replied Apr 13 2016, 13:40

This is me posting... I love good, undeniable, statistics. So often they can be messed with in order to favor an opinion. Good stuff here Dave. Thanks.  Is there an 80/20 principle that could be analysed for a profile. From what 20 percent of our efforts do 80 percent of our results come from? I am always interested in being as efficient as possible. Only so much time in our day. You know? Thanks again. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Lang
  • Savage, MN
Votes |
  • Savage, MN
Replied Apr 13 2016, 13:56

Very nice work! Makes total sense to me! Thanks for the research and sharing!

User Stats

Votes
Joy Witter
  • Abington, PA
Votes |
  • Abington, PA
Replied Apr 14 2016, 09:50

I want to locate deals and start making offers?How can i see the local MLS?

User Stats

Votes
Robert Germano
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Apr 14 2016, 10:06

I'm getting into posting and I totally agree that the more often you post and connect to others the more you will learn and grow your business. Thanks for posting and keep it up!