Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Votes |
Want to know the best way to build your real estate network?

Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Posted Mar 14 2016, 08:39

No matter how you’re involved in real estate investing, I’d venture a guess that one of your main goals on BiggerPockets is networking. I know this is true because one of the most common questions we get at BiggerPockets is, “How can I make more connections on BiggerPockets?”

Well lucky for you, there is a simple answer: Post frequently on the forums.

There are dozens of ways to connect with people on BP, but I ran the numbers and the results are clear. People who post on the forums most frequently have the most profile views, and the most colleagues.

That makes sense, right? It doesn’t take a numbers whiz to see the connection: if you post, and build a reputation as a helpful and knowledgeable member of the community, people are going to want to connect with you.

And connections mean more deals seen, partners identified, and clients secured. A.K.A more money.

Still not convinced? Here’s some statistical nerdery to backup my claims:

I grabbed data for the 1,000 most-visited profiles on BiggerPockets. I then looked at correlations between profile views and forum posts, post votes, and number of colleagues. But before we get into that, a quick refresher on correlation in case you haven’t kept up on your stats knowledge since high school.

Here is the dictionary definition of correlation: a relation existing between phenomena or things or between mathematical or statistical variables which tend to vary, be associated, or occur together in a way not expected on the basis of chance alone.

In english? We’re measuring how changes in one variable affect changes in a second variable. So in our case: how does posting on the forums influence the number of profile views, or number of colleagues a member has?

And the reason stats nerds like me love correlation is that it is unit-agnostic. It tests the strength of a relationship between two variables, no matter if you’re measuring inches, pounds, housing prices, or forum votes. It’s a handy little tool.

I won’t bore you with the math to derive correlations, but I will explain a bit on how to interpret them. First, correlations are always a number between -1 and 1.

As you can see in the graphic above, a correlation of 0 means there is no linear relationship between the two variables (a change in variable A has no effect on variable B). A correlation of -1 means there is a very strong correlation, but the relationship is negative (one variables goes up, the other goes down). Lastly, a correlation of 1 means a strong positive relationship (both variables move together in the same direction).

So, back to how to make more connections on BiggerPockets. I ran a correlation matrix for the four variables: posts_count, profile_hits, votes_received, and colleague_count. Here are the results.

For our purposes we really just want to look at the numbers in BOLD right now.

profile_hitsposts_countvotes_receivedcolleague_count
profile_hits1.00
posts_count0.671.00
votes_received0.710.871.00
colleague_count0.700.540.491.00

Now that you’re an expert in correlations, we can see how strong these relationships are. 

As you can see the correlation between posts and profile hits is .67, a really strong positive relationship! This means that the more posts you have the more times people will look at your profile.

The correlation between votes and profile hits is even stronger, at .71. Meaning that if you write such great forum posts that people vote for you, you’re even more likely to get profile hits.

But what good is a profile view without a connection? Well, the correlation between profile hits and colleague count is .70, also really strong. More profile hits means more colleagues.

So in short: more posts = more profile views = more colleagues.

I also did some regression analysis, which I can’t explain in a single forum post, but trust me, it’s really cool. What I discovered is that 50% of your colleague count can be attributed to the number of forum posts you have. That’s crazy! There are tons of variables that contribute to how many colleagues you have, but one variable reigns supreme: forum posts.

Posting on the forums is the single best way to build your network on BiggerPockets.

So you want to make more real estate connections, find partners, and make more deals? POST!

Stay tuned for a follow up post on the monetary value of BP connections! 

If you have any questions about posting, correlations, statistical nerdery, or have some ideas for other data studies we should run, let me know! 

User Stats

Votes
Princeton Washington
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
  • Anchorage, AK
Replied Mar 31 2016, 04:02

I think sometimes as a newbie investor in the real estate realm you don't want to put your foot in your mouth or appear foolish. Its hard to interject into a conversation when you're in the beginning stages of your career. So for me I try to pick my spots on what I talk about with the forum. I think the more time you have under your belt the more value you can give. Like anything though patience is the key. So many of us want the mentor, the colleagues, the large network right now, but Rome wasn't built in a day. So for me I have to constantly remind myself that this is a process. I love the data and info presented because it gives me a good goal to shoot for. 

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Boeckman
  • Accountant, Entrepreneur, & Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Accountant, Entrepreneur, & Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Mar 31 2016, 10:44

Makes sense! Thanks Dave.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Keida Mars
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 31 2016, 12:47

This immediately made me think of my sister's boyfriend, who is studying actuarial sciences. Am I right in believing that what you've done falls into the same realm?

Either way, super cool. :)

User Stats

Votes
Ankita Patel
  • Bengaluru, Karnataka
Votes |
  • Bengaluru, Karnataka
Replied Apr 1 2016, 01:40

@Dave Meyer Great work. I am going to try this.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Zingani
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 1 2016, 07:45

what is on adverage is

What is on adverage the amount of the  % of the amount you should pay on a loan,for a flip?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Cardona
  • Antioch, CA
Votes |
  • Antioch, CA
Replied Apr 1 2016, 13:29
Originally posted by @Jasmine Dixon:

@Mike Cardona

Thank you Mike for this advice. I have already started applying these things. I've joined multiple REI clubs in the past few days. Some events coming up and when they do I will attend. I will definitely take your advice to see what others needs are and offer free help, I am currently building my reading collection and will add your recommended books.

Thanks!!

You're welcome! I'm on the same journey myself, please feel free to message me and let me know how it goes :) 

User Stats

Votes
Georgia Baker
  • Santa Fe, NM
Votes |
  • Santa Fe, NM
Replied Apr 1 2016, 15:42

Thanks for the encouragement Dave Meyer I hold back a lot because I am learning, but I see the benefit of posting more often.
G

User Stats

Votes
Jason Smith
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Apr 1 2016, 16:24

I definitely agree with Dan Mackin on this I am not on BP as much as I want and just looking at my past and current post I too would like to beef up my network national...thanks for pointing that out

User Stats

Votes
Cynthia Rogers
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 3 2016, 10:34

@Dave Meyer being new to BP, and to the industry, this information was really insightful. Thanks so much for sharing. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Griemsmann
  • Investor
  • Stuart, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stuart, FL
Replied Apr 3 2016, 12:42

I love this info. everyone is giving. I have been on BP for about 2-3 weeks now and I agree the more Value you put into forums and reach out to people the better your network becomes. I appreciate everything that BP has given to investors in this community network.

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Szponder
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Loveland, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Loveland, CO
Replied Apr 3 2016, 13:20

@Dave Meyer  Very interesting post--my left-brain analyst mind really lit up and loved it. Thank you for crunching the numbers and for the ideas.

User Stats

Votes
SHanshan Weng
  • HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
Votes |
  • HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
Replied Apr 3 2016, 18:25

I'm just the Newbie here but feel very positive about it. Thanks for sharing. Networking is the strength of your business.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Follow a few simple steps to view a practice deal.
Step 1 | Find a market
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
See Practice Deals
Account Closed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Apr 3 2016, 18:26

When I was a kid nerds were mocked. Now as an adult, an aviator, and a real estate investor, I wear my nerd hat with pride! Thank you for your data and a great crash course on correlation and its importance.

I have been off the grid these last few months and now am back with a thirty day deadline to raise enough equity investors for an overseas buy-and-hold condo property.

But now that you have drawn my attention more to posts, I have an additional goal to continue to learn and strive to be in the top 1,000 most supportive folks on BP! Bring on the forum questions!

Account Closed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Apr 3 2016, 18:49

When I was a kid nerds were mocked. Now as an adult, aviator and investor, I fly my nerd flag with pride! Great post and an excellent crash course on correlation. You're correct, it is pretty useful.

I have been out of the net for a few months but I am back now with a goal to find enough investors to fund a long-term buy-and-hold property, an overseas metropolitan condo in a high growth city. But now I have another goal to keep learning and strive to be one of the top 1,000 most supportive folks on BP!

User Stats

Votes
Troy Rocha
  • New Bedford, MA
Votes |
  • New Bedford, MA
Replied Apr 4 2016, 03:30

Awesome great information to have! @davemeyer and everyone's contribution here. I got a lot out of it.

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Ramer
  • Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Apr 4 2016, 10:15

@Dave Meyer  Thank you for the analysis.  As a new member to BP, the networking was one of my main reasons for joining, so I will get to it!  Thank you for your contribution of the article.  

User Stats

Votes
Brian Hosier
  • Investor
  • Port Coquitlam, BC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Port Coquitlam, BC
Replied Apr 4 2016, 22:02

Dave Meyer thanks for this post. I have been a BP member for 2 years but never
posted more than a few posts. What a waste of my membership! I've never been any good at stats but you explained it very clear and the correlation is obvious. Thanks to your post I have set a new goal to become an active poster. I don't think I'll ever be in the top 1000 like James Wise !!

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Guillet
  • Stockbridge, GA
Votes |
  • Stockbridge, GA
Replied Apr 5 2016, 11:42
Originally posted by @Dave Meyer:

No matter how you’re involved in real estate investing, I’d venture a guess that one of your main goals on BiggerPockets is networking. I know this is true because one of the most common questions we get at BiggerPockets is, “How can I make more connections on BiggerPockets?”

Well lucky for you, there is a simple answer: Post frequently on the forums.

There are dozens of ways to connect with people on BP, but I ran the numbers and the results are clear. People who post on the forums most frequently have the most profile views, and the most colleagues.

That makes sense, right? It doesn’t take a numbers whiz to see the connection: if you post, and build a reputation as a helpful and knowledgeable member of the community, people are going to want to connect with you.

And connections mean more deals seen, partners identified, and clients secured. A.K.A more money.

Still not convinced? Here’s some statistical nerdery to backup my claims:

I grabbed data for the 1,000 most-visited profiles on BiggerPockets. I then looked at correlations between profile views and forum posts, post votes, and number of colleagues. But before we get into that, a quick refresher on correlation in case you haven’t kept up on your stats knowledge since high school.

Here is the dictionary definition of correlation: a relation existing between phenomena or things or between mathematical or statistical variables which tend to vary, be associated, or occur together in a way not expected on the basis of chance alone.

In english? We’re measuring how changes in one variable affect changes in a second variable. So in our case: how does posting on the forums influence the number of profile views, or number of colleagues a member has?

And the reason stats nerds like me love correlation is that it is unit-agnostic. It tests the strength of a relationship between two variables, no matter if you’re measuring inches, pounds, housing prices, or forum votes. It’s a handy little tool.

I won’t bore you with the math to derive correlations, but I will explain a bit on how to interpret them. First, correlations are always a number between -1 and 1.

As you can see in the graphic above, a correlation of 0 means there is no linear relationship between the two variables (a change in variable A has no effect on variable B). A correlation of -1 means there is a very strong correlation, but the relationship is negative (one variables goes up, the other goes down). Lastly, a correlation of 1 means a strong positive relationship (both variables move together in the same direction).

So, back to how to make more connections on BiggerPockets. I ran a correlation matrix for the four variables: posts_count, profile_hits, votes_received, and colleague_count. Here are the results.

For our purposes we really just want to look at the numbers in BOLD right now.

profile_hitsposts_countvotes_receivedcolleague_count
profile_hits1.00
posts_count0.671.00
votes_received0.710.871.00
colleague_count0.700.540.491.00

Now that you’re an expert in correlations, we can see how strong these relationships are. 

As you can see the correlation between posts and profile hits is .67, a really strong positive relationship! This means that the more posts you have the more times people will look at your profile.

The correlation between votes and profile hits is even stronger, at .71. Meaning that if you write such great forum posts that people vote for you, you’re even more likely to get profile hits.

But what good is a profile view without a connection? Well, the correlation between profile hits and colleague count is .70, also really strong. More profile hits means more colleagues.

So in short: more posts = more profile views = more colleagues.

I also did some regression analysis, which I can’t explain in a single forum post, but trust me, it’s really cool. What I discovered is that 50% of your colleague count can be attributed to the number of forum posts you have. That’s crazy! There are tons of variables that contribute to how many colleagues you have, but one variable reigns supreme: forum posts.

Posting on the forums is the single best way to build your network on BiggerPockets.

So you want to make more real estate connections, find partners, and make more deals? POST!

Stay tuned for a follow up post on the monetary value of BP connections! 

If you have any questions about posting, correlations, statistical nerdery, or have some ideas for other data studies we should run, let me know! 

Splendid report, Mr. Meyer

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Gilchriest
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 5 2016, 11:48

@Dave Meyer thanks! Just signed up this week, started posting a few days ago and have already made some great connections

User Stats

Votes
Michael Powell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sugar Land, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sugar Land, TX
Replied Apr 5 2016, 13:23

Thank you for the great advice.  As a newly minted pro member, I'm ready to expand my network here on bigger pockets.  :)

User Stats

Votes
Tek Chai
  • Podunk, WA
Votes |
  • Podunk, WA
Replied Apr 5 2016, 13:57

Thanks @Dave Meyer for sharing this "statistical nerdery" study. That makes logical sense.

User Stats

Votes
Jabbar Thomas
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 6 2016, 04:23

Great information. I have noticed that the more active you are, your exposure is greater. Your network is not going to build itself. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Krystal Grubbs
  • Flipper
  • Hagerstown, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Hagerstown, MD
Replied Apr 6 2016, 10:38

I absolutely agree. I took some time off from from BP because I was working for an investor that consumed all hours even my sleep haha. I plan on jumping back in feet first. Thanks for the info!

User Stats

Votes
Krystal Grubbs
  • Flipper
  • Hagerstown, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Hagerstown, MD
Replied Apr 6 2016, 10:54

I absolutely agree. I took some time off from from BP because I was working for an investor that consumed all hours even my sleep haha. I plan on jumping back in feet first. Thanks for the info!

User Stats

Votes
Tarek Soliman
  • Investor
  • Austin , Texas
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin , Texas
Replied Apr 6 2016, 15:45

numbers never lies, great job