Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Owens
Pro Member
Votes |
First investment out of market??

Matt Owens
Pro Member
Posted Jul 12 2024, 13:05

Hi All, 

I have been studying markets in real estate investing for some time now. We have gotten our finances in line and currently are looking more in detail to purchase our first real estate property. We are in the north east where it’s very expensive right now and have done some research on other markets.

Also, following some suggestions from forums here, we have narrowed it down to a few.

What are your thoughts about out of market investing in rental properties? Especially with it being our first one. What would be some key recommendations from those who are experienced with it?

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Jul 12 2024, 13:49

Hey Matt, welcome to BP! OOS investing can be a great way to diversify your portfolio but having a solid strategy is key. Figure out what you're aiming for. Are you looking for steady rental income or long-term appreciation? Once you know your goals, you can pick a market that fits the bill. Also, since you'll be managing the properties remotely, building a strong team is important. Find a local agent who's familiar with your target market and a property manager to handle the day-to-day operation. Then, find a mentor doing what you want to do. You could start your search by reaching out to lenders, brokers or other investors you meet at REI meetups. Most will be able to provide one. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 12 2024, 14:45

Hi Matt,

What are your goals and preferences? Asset class, price range, neighborhood type, cash flow/appreciation, whether you want a rental portfolio or get into rehabs...

It's easier to start from the goals and work backwards. Personally, I'd pick a tenant friendly state and choose states that don't have barriers to entry (insurance, financing, weather, etc). AZ, PA, TX, OH, WI, AL, FL...

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 13 2024, 12:56

I would first find a market that is showing signs of market growth. Then I would focus on growing relationships and building your core 4. Having a team in place is essential to long-distance investing. The core 4 consists of a realtor, contractor, property manager, and a lender. Once you have this team in place, you should have the foundation to invest in any market confidently while not being there physically.

There are some great opportunities in the Ohio markets. Many investors from expensive markets are choosing to invest in the Midwest because of the low barrier to entry and yearly cash returns making more sense in these lower priced markets. Ohio markets show up 3 times in Zillow’s 2024 hottest markets, with Columbus and Cincinnati taking the top 2 and 3 spots. I moved from Florida to start investing in Columbus because of the same reason.

https://www.zillow.com/learn/hottest-housing-markets-2024/

User Stats

Votes
Matt Owens
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 14 2024, 06:14
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

Hey Matt, welcome to BP! OOS investing can be a great way to diversify your portfolio but having a solid strategy is key. Figure out what you're aiming for. Are you looking for steady rental income or long-term appreciation? Once you know your goals, you can pick a market that fits the bill. Also, since you'll be managing the properties remotely, building a strong team is important. Find a local agent who's familiar with your target market and a property manager to handle the day-to-day operation. Then, find a mentor doing what you want to do. You could start your search by reaching out to lenders, brokers or other investors you meet at REI meetups. Most will be able to provide one. All the best!

Very helpful! I am looking for steady rental income. I appreciate the tips in finding the correct support.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Owens
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 14 2024, 06:16
Quote from @Ko Kashiwagi:

Hi Matt,

What are your goals and preferences? Asset class, price range, neighborhood type, cash flow/appreciation, whether you want a rental portfolio or get into rehabs...

It's easier to start from the goals and work backwards. Personally, I'd pick a tenant friendly state and choose states that don't have barriers to entry (insurance, financing, weather, etc). AZ, PA, TX, OH, WI, AL, FL...

Hi Ko!

Right now I am placing priority on price range and Cash flow. Great advice on the tenant friendly state, I have studying deals in OH (which seems to be common theme on here lol) along with PA. I appreciate the advice!

User Stats

Votes
Matt Owens
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 14 2024, 06:17
Quote from @Samuel Diouf:

I would first find a market that is showing signs of market growth. Then I would focus on growing relationships and building your core 4. Having a team in place is essential to long-distance investing. The core 4 consists of a realtor, contractor, property manager, and a lender. Once you have this team in place, you should have the foundation to invest in any market confidently while not being there physically.

There are some great opportunities in the Ohio markets. Many investors from expensive markets are choosing to invest in the Midwest because of the low barrier to entry and yearly cash returns making more sense in these lower priced markets. Ohio markets show up 3 times in Zillow’s 2024 hottest markets, with Columbus and Cincinnati taking the top 2 and 3 spots. I moved from Florida to start investing in Columbus because of the same reason.

https://www.zillow.com/learn/hottest-housing-markets-2024/

Hi Samuel,

Really helpful advice with the core 4 concentration. I have been looking in OH and seem like there are some good deals to be found. I do think I need to iron out having the right team in place as that is the advice I most often hear. 

Thank you for your feedback!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jul 14 2024, 07:37

You need to find team members you can trust.

Not so simple though;(

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 14 2024, 09:30
Quote from @Matt Owens:

Hi All, 

I have been studying markets in real estate investing for some time now. We have gotten our finances in line and currently are looking more in detail to purchase our first real estate property. We are in the north east where it’s very expensive right now and have done some research on other markets.

Also, following some suggestions from forums here, we have narrowed it down to a few.

What are your thoughts about out of market investing in rental properties? Especially with it being our first one. What would be some key recommendations from those who are experienced with it?

You can definitely do out of state investing as long as you have a solid investor agent and real estate team in place - this means being connected with a good lender, general contractor, property manager, etc. I would suggest investing in Columbus Ohio for so many reasons - population growth, job growth, and companies moving here. You will still find positive cash flow and the 1% rule here and you get amazing appreciation! I personally moved from Portland Oregon to Columbus Ohio to start my full time real estate investing career here. So much opportunity and it's been one of the best decisions of my life. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jul 15 2024, 05:10

@Matt Owens

Out-of-market investment provides affordability, diversity, and greater returns, but it also involves managerial issues, a lack of local expertise, and travel expenses. To be successful, research the market, undertake neighborhood analysis, form a local team, connect with investors, budget, acquire finance, use technology, manage risk, start small, and take a hands-off attitude.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Jul 15 2024, 06:29
Quote from @Matt Owens:
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

Very helpful! I am looking for steady rental income. I appreciate the tips in finding the correct support.

You're welcome! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 15 2024, 08:11
Quote from @Matt Owens:

Hi All, 

The market I am in has its' advantageous I think you will like. Lower entry level because of (generally speaking), lower prices, landlord friendly, strong rental market, growing market (especially in Northern Ky), etc.. Let me know how I can help you best! I am an agent in both Cincinnati and Northern Ky

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 15 2024, 11:55

@Matt Owens

I invest in CT and PA.  There really isn't cash flow anywhere right now without some kind of niche or angle.

If you buy a miscellaneous, "lower cost" house around the median in PA or OH, and put conventional or DSCR debt on it... it's not going to cash flow.

And you really need to be hands-on somehow, whether that's literally your own or a trusted team.  There are so many threads on BP of investors in the northeast or CA who bought a random midwest property because it looked great on paper and got crushed by deferred maintenance.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jul 16 2024, 05:42

Hey Matt, first things first, you need to figure out your strategy. Are you looking to buy turnkey properties or do flips? If you're new to investing in a specific location, I'd suggest starting with a turnkey. It’s a great way to get a feel for the market, build connections, and set up your team. Once you’re comfortable and have a solid team, you can start exploring value-add opportunities. Market wise, Columbus is great for value-adds because of its appreciation potential, while Cleveland is awesome for cash flow.
Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance!

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Kocent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 16 2024, 08:00

Hi Matt!

I'm an agent here in Pittsburgh and I work strictly with investors. It is way more common that people realize that out of state/out of market investors buy properties in hot markets. I don't want to over-simplify it because it is definitely not easy, but can be done. In my opinion, the most important thing is to get in touch with several agents, contractors, (property managers if necessary), etc. Build a team of real estate professionals that you have personally vetted and that have proven success. Building a strong foundation with your first property will help in the long run and will build relationships for your future deals.

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or interest in the Pittsburgh market!

User Stats

Votes
Tim Casey
  • Real Estate Consultant / MBA
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant / MBA
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jul 16 2024, 08:20

I think you are smart to consider out-of-market investing.  Key to your approach, as you seem to already understand, is that it requires elevated levels of planning and due diligence, but with this approach, it can be a profitable strategy.

As you are in the process of narrowing down locations, start engaging with local experts to best understand market dynamics and compliance requirements with local laws.  Best of luck.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Melloul
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 18 2024, 10:50
Quote from @Matt Owens:

Hi All, 

Hey Matt!

Investing in rental properties outside your local market can be a great move if your area is too pricey. Here are some quick tips you can apply to your out-of-state investing journey.

Do your research:

Check out the local economy, job market, and rental trends in the new area.Look for spots with high rental demand and good growth potential.
  1. Get a Local Team:
    • -Hire a property manager to handle daily tasks and tenant issues.
    • -Find a local real estate agent who knows the area well.
    • -Have go-to contractors for repairs and inspections.
  2. Use Tech:
    • -Use property management apps to keep track of rent and maintenance.
    • -Do virtual tours and video inspections to stay updated on your property.
    • -Keep in touch with your team and tenants online.
  3. Manage Risks:
    • -Do your due diligence, like property inspections and understanding local laws.
    • -Keep a fund for unexpected costs and vacancies (CapEx)
    • Learn from Others:
    • -Join real estate groups and forums to get tips from experienced investors.
    • -Network at local real estate meetups.

Out-of-market investing can be really rewarding and profitable if you plan well and do your homework. I'm personally very bullish on the Columbus, OH market. It has all the key indicators you're looking for, including a low barrier to entry! Good luck with your first rental property and feel free to hit me up if you need any help!

Jeremy

User Stats

Votes
Najma Osman
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 18 2024, 15:38

Hey @Matt Owens,

Congrats on getting your finances in order and narrowing down your market choices! Out-of-market investing can be a smart move if you're looking for more affordable opportunities. I recommend focusing on building a strong local team, including a reliable property manager, lender, contractor, and real estate agent. Start with a property that requires minimal renovations to keep things manageable. Doing thorough market research and leveraging local expertise will be key to your success!!! I invest locally so feel free to reach out if you have any questions about investing in Ohio!

Reafco - Najma Osman Logo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 19 2024, 06:39

@Matt Owens

Recommend you first figure out the property Class you want to invest in, THEN figure out the corresponding location to invest in.

If you apply Class A assumptions to a Class B or C purchase, your expectations won’t be met and it may be a financial disaster.

So, when investing in areas they don’t really know, investors should research the different property Class submarkets.

Here’s our OPINION for the Metro Detroit market (use as a template for your target area!) that we’ve learned in our 24 years, managing almost 700 doors across the Metro Detroit area, including almost 100 S8 leases.:

Class A Properties:
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation.
Vacancy Est: Historically 10%, 5% the more recent norm.
Tenant Pool: Majority will have FICO scores of 680+, zero evictions in last 7 years.

Class B Properties:
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, decent amount of relative rent & value appreciation.
Vacancy Est: Historically 10%, 5% should be applied only if proper research done to support.
Tenant Pool: Majority will have FICO scores of 620-680, some blemishes, but should have no evictions in last 5 years

Class C Properties:
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, high cashflow and at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation. Can try to reposition to Class B, but neighborhood may impede these efforts.
Vacancy Est: Historically 10%, but 15-20% should be used to also cover tenant nonpayment, eviction costs & damages.
Tenant Pool: majority will have FICO scores of 560-620, many blemishes, but should have no evictions in last 2 years. Verifying last 2 years of rental history very important! Also, focus on 2 years of job/income stability.

Class D Properties:
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation
Vacancy Est: 20%+ should be used to cover nonpayment, evictions & damages.
Tenant Pool: majority will have FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, recent evictions. Verifying last 2 years of rental history and income extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.

Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.

PM us if you’d like to discuss this logical approach in greater detail!

User Stats

Votes
Mya Toohey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Replied Jul 19 2024, 13:26

@Matt Owens

Hello!!! We still have opportunities here in the Tampa, Clearwater and St Pete Florida areas.  I would love to help you (and it gives you a reason to take a vacation!!!)