Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Out of State Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Julie Philpott
Pro Member
Votes |
Observation and Wondering of Columbus Market

Julie Philpott
Pro Member
Posted

Hi everyone, 

As a first time out-of-state investor, I've heard buzz about promising neighborhoods in Columbus, like North Linden, Olde Towne East, and Franklin Park, known for their potential cash flow and appreciation. However, a quick glance at Zillow reveals some new or decent condition rental listings lingering for over 30 days. This raises a critical question: Is there a genuine rental demand in these areas, despite the city's ongoing efforts to enhance infrastructure? Understanding this dynamic could be key to making informed investment decisions

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf
Agent
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

There's huge demand here. Typically, when rentals have been on the market for that long here in Columbus, it's because they're asking too much for rent. 

A recent study showed that 80 people are moving to this city every week. 80 homes aren't being built here every week, so the demand continues to increase. 

User Stats

Votes
Kerlous Tadres
Pro Member
#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Julie Philpott:

Hi everyone, 

As a first time out-of-state investor, I've heard buzz about promising neighborhoods in Columbus, like North Linden, Olde Towne East, and Franklin Park, known for their potential cash flow and appreciation. However, a quick glance at Zillow reveals some new or decent condition rental listings lingering for over 30 days. This raises a critical question: Is there a genuine rental demand in these areas, despite the city's ongoing efforts to enhance infrastructure? Understanding this dynamic could be key to making informed investment decisions

Hey Julie, 

There is still a huge rental demand here. The biggest thing that you might not see is that some of these rental listings could be overpriced compared to rental comps. If you price it right and have the necessary qualifications to get the right tenants in place, you should have no issues!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Hi everyone, 

I own rental properties in three very different areas in Columbus, Ohio, which I would classify as ranging from A to C areas. There is a strong demand for rentals in these neighborhoods as long as you have a quality product, a good leasing agent, and price your rentals correctly.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Philpott
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

It seems that pricing is a major concern based on the feedback. If there are over 10 rental listings on the market for more than 30 days, could it be inferred that at least 10 landlords have mispriced their rentals for the entire neighborhood/area? For instance, a three-bedroom, one-bathroom property listed at $1,450 has been available for 37 days (zip code 43205) or a two-bed, two-bathroom property listed at $1,900. Another question is whether these properties are being repriced to their fair market value and how long it might take to find qualified tenants in this area.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied

@Julie Philpott
If rentals are not priced adequately for the location and condition they will take longer to rent. In terms of the condition maybe the landlord didn't add AC or went with LVP and carpet over hardwoods in an A location. Whereas all the rentals in the area have hardwoods and AC to get the same amount of rent. It could also be that you are looking at rent comps over a major street like Parsons and are using them to compare different locations. 

User Stats

Votes
Austin Steed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Hi everyone, 

I've owned rentals in columbus for about 6 years now and have always self managed. All these areas are renting fine. It depends on the product and sometimes the street your on. I personally don't like busy streets.  

After having some poor tenants over the years I'm much more picky with who I rent too. Vacancies are bad but having an eviction and an expensive turn is much worse! 

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Hi everyone, 

Hi Julie! As an investor here in Columbus OH myself, I would say there is genuine rental demand in these areas. As mentioned by the others, rent is one of the reasons why a rental can be on the market for too long. Another big reason is location. I generally advise my clients to skip properties that are near main street traffic or commercial buildings/stores. Happy to connect and answer any other questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Hi everyone, 

If you have a good product, good management, and priced accordingly, you should not have issues finding tenants. There are a lot of dynamics you cannot see from Zillow, such as what type of systems does those owners have in place, how strict are their qualifications, how the property shows in person, etc. The population is increasing in Columbus and a lot of people are sitting on the sidelines renting before buying, so there is demand.