Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Wholesaling
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Haussmann
  • Whitehall, PA
Votes |
Average wholesaling markup

Matthew Haussmann
  • Whitehall, PA
Posted Jan 24 2014, 20:00

I am looking at a property being sold through a wholesaler. Technology being what it is, I was able to find the owner of the house and the actual contract that was signed between the owner and the wholesaler. Here is where I need some feedback. This contract is for $40,000. The wholesaler is marking it up to $65,000 (roughly a 62% markup). Is this normal? Ethical? Anywhere near decent? Any input would be appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jan 24 2014, 20:07

Normal? Not entirely...

Ethical? Yes, they're entitled to price it wherever they'd like.

I would say an average markup that I've seen in my market is ~$5,000, but I do get deals from some that try to milk the profits and squeeze $15k+. Unfortunately in doing so, these guys are pricing me out and we don't ever end up doing business.

For me as a rehabber, I reallly don't care how much they are making on the deal, as long as the numbers make sense for me. In fact, I'd like them to make as much as possible! If they can make $25k, and there is still room for me to make another $25k, that's fantastic! That just means that they have more money to put towards marketing and working on bringing me more deals.

When a deal comes to me as a rehabber, I'm just looking at one thing number wise: Does the offered price = 70% ARV - Repairs? If yes, I'm taking a closer look.

User Stats

Votes
Shanequa J.
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 24 2014, 20:15

It would depend on what the house is worth and the repair costs.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Gerald Harris
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 24 2014, 20:22

As a wholesaler you have to be very careful and price your deals correctly. Me personally, I like to stay at 65% of ARV and below. If I price these deals like this The buyers will come. so to simplify. I have a property that has an ARV of 100k. I would sell to my investor for no more than 65k after repairs. If my cash investor has a property that is fixed up for 65k and he can resell for 100k, he/she is happy.

User Stats

Votes
Derek T.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Prince Geroge's County, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Prince Geroge's County, MD
Replied Jan 24 2014, 20:23

That is a large mark up especially for that price point. I probably wouldn't do it unless it was a really good deal. Anywhere from 5-10% of the ARV is the typical fee although many try to squeeze out more. The standard is for the wholesaler to buy the property at 50-65% ARV minus repairs with the rehabber buying it at 65-70% ARV minus repairs. The difference in the % would be the wholesaler's fee if that makes sense.

User Stats

Votes
Elio L.
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jan 24 2014, 20:51

Well what's the property worth? His markup shouldn't matter as long as he's pricing it fairly and leaves enough room for your profit to be made after repairs costs are factored in

User Stats

Votes
Tim G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 24 2014, 22:30

There is no standard markup. Does it matter what a car was traded in to the car dealer before they resell it at auction? Nope, the market determines what that item is worth.

This is simple economics, the market will tell you what it is worth. If the deal doesn't sell, they will lower their price and push it again until it sells. Do you make your purchases of investments based on an adequate or ethical markup or based on actual numbers that determine if it meets your criteria?

Do the numbers, if you like it buy it. If you don't then move on.

User Stats

Votes
Fred Huber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 24 2014, 23:10

Knowing that the fee is so large, ask him for a discount! I am buying two wholesales this month and got discounts on both!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jan 25 2014, 06:42

As others have stated what's it worth? Is 60k still a good deal? If it is then that's a guy you want to keep in contact with. If he can put houses under contract for that low of a price he is a true "wholeseller" Out Where I live most of the wholesellers are a joke. Bunch of guys who do not even own their own home. They email me and try to pitch me 50k properties that I can buy on the MLS all day for 25k-30k

User Stats

Votes
Shaun Reilly
  • Landlord and Rehabber
  • Newton, MA
Votes |
  • Landlord and Rehabber
  • Newton, MA
Replied Jan 25 2014, 08:49

Like everyone else is asking: Is it a good deal at $65K?

If so then it doesn't really matter if it is a high markup or not. If you want to try to ask for a lower price you can try. If it is actually a good deal at that price they might just say no and sell it to someone else.

If it isn't a good deal at that price but is north of the $40K then I'd ask for a discount to where I'd want to buy, since I won't buy at his price.

I will say that if you don't like the markup the alternative is do your own marketing for deals. If you don't feel the spread is worth the service then do it yourself. If you don't have time then don't worry about what others are making providing a service you can't or don't want to do, as long as the final numbers work for you.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Spine
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Holly Springs, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Holly Springs, NC
Replied Jan 25 2014, 09:43

If the numbers work for you, it's a deal. Try to negotiate, if the numbers work for you it should not matter what he is making. If you can't get this deal to match your buying criteria, then move on.

Spine Properties, LLC Logo