Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nessa Lyn
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
House Hacking and Qualifying for FHA

Nessa Lyn
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Posted Nov 2 2022, 09:29

Hello! I'm a newbie and have yet to buy my first official property. (I inherited my dad's home but the loan is not in my name) 

I found a 5 bdrm home that would be PERFECT as an AIRBNB! I was looking at an FHA loan over conventional as the home is $850k and I don't have $200k as a dp.

My plan would be to live in one room and rent out the other 4 bdrms for one year, and then move out and use it as an STR.

So, my question is, If I was to go the route of FHA, could the Lender take into consideration that I would be renting out the other rooms to help with the monthly debt? Is there another way or loan that you all think would work better?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Miller McSwain
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Nov 2 2022, 10:38

Are you worried that you won't qualify for this $850k home solely based on your household income? So you are wanting to use the potential income of the property to help you qualify?

I've had a situation similar to this. I purchased a house that I am renting-by-the-room. My lender wouldn't consider potential income when qualifying me for this house.

HOWEVER, he will consider the income of this property when I purchase my next property. So when he is calculating my Debt-to-Income ratio while I'm being qualified for the next house, he will see that all or some of my mortgage payment on the first house is covered by tenants.
I'm not sure if he will assume the market long-term rent income, or if he will actually look at the leases I have in place though.

But basically, I don't think your lender will consider un-proven income to help purchase this house. Once you've proven income though, the lender may consider it during the purchase of your next property.

User Stats

Votes
Reid Chauvin
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 11:36

@Nessa Lyn - if this were a multi-unit property (duplex, triplex) then the rental income (as determined by an appraiser) could be factored into your monthly income regardless of whether or not you have a history of receiving this type of income. However, if this is a 1-unit property then you are likely not going to be able to use income from the other bedrooms to help you qualify, unless this is something that you've been doing for the past few years. This is referred to as 'boarder income' and you generally need 2 years tax returns showing proof that you've been receiving boarder income, and you also need to prove that you are currently receiving boarder income. 

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Nessa Lyn
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Replied Nov 2 2022, 12:51
Quote from @Miller McSwain:

Are you worried that you won't qualify for this $850k home solely based on your household income? So you are wanting to use the potential income of the property to help you qualify?

I've had a situation similar to this. I purchased a house that I am renting-by-the-room. My lender wouldn't consider potential income when qualifying me for this house.

HOWEVER, he will consider the income of this property when I purchase my next property. So when he is calculating my Debt-to-Income ratio while I'm being qualified for the next house, he will see that all or some of my mortgage payment on the first house is covered by tenants.
I'm not sure if he will assume the market long-term rent income, or if he will actually look at the leases I have in place though.

But basically, I don't think your lender will consider un-proven income to help purchase this house. Once you've proven income though, the lender may consider it during the purchase of your next property.

Yea, I was thinking that too, and a good point about using it as income for the next property. Correct, we will not qualify for a loan that high. Unless they would accept a larger down payment? 

User Stats

Votes
Nessa Lyn
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Replied Nov 2 2022, 12:54
Quote from @Reid Chauvin:

@Nessa Lyn - if this were a multi-unit property (duplex, triplex) then the rental income (as determined by an appraiser) could be factored into your monthly income regardless of whether or not you have a history of receiving this type of income. However, if this is a 1-unit property then you are likely not going to be able to use income from the other bedrooms to help you qualify, unless this is something that you've been doing for the past few years. This is referred to as 'boarder income' and you generally need 2 years tax returns showing proof that you've been receiving boarder income, and you also need to prove that you are currently receiving boarder income. 

yea I was afraid of that. Thanks, that answers my question.

User Stats

Votes
Dominick Johnson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Nov 2 2022, 12:58

Well first of all an FHA loan only requires 3.5% down payment if you're living in the house, so your down payment on $850k would only be $29,750.

User Stats

Votes
Suzie Remilien
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 2 2022, 17:07

@Nessa LynYes, agreed that down payment would be about $30,000 whether you go Conventional (3%) or FHA (3.5%) on that primary residence. However, don't forget closing costs which could run between 3%-5% of the price. Could you rent out rooms in the home you inherited to help save for that first purchase?

User Stats

Votes
Khari F.
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Nov 2 2022, 18:12

If you were a lender would you factor in non existent rental income from someone with no experience managing rentals based on assumption? What are the rental comps? How much are you prequalified for and what is expect PITI? Show the lender why this is low risk.

User Stats

Votes
Nessa Lyn
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Replied Nov 3 2022, 05:34
Quote from @Suzie Remilien:

@Nessa LynYes, agreed that down payment would be about $30,000 whether you go Conventional (3%) or FHA (3.5%) on that primary residence. However, don't forget closing costs which could run between 3%-5% of the price. Could you rent out rooms in the home you inherited to help save for that first purchase?

oh, I thought a Conventional loan would be 20% down! I'm in the process of getting a HELOC on the home, so I could definitely do 5-10% down.

User Stats

Votes
Nessa Lyn
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albany, OR
Replied Nov 3 2022, 05:36
Quote from @Dominick Johnson:

Well first of all an FHA loan only requires 3.5% down payment if you're living in the house, so your down payment on $850k would only be $29,750.

Yes, I could do the downpayment. It's the qualifying for the monthly mortgage payment that I know I wouldn't qualify for.

User Stats

Votes
Dominick Johnson
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Nov 3 2022, 08:48
Quote from @Nessa Lyn:
Quote from @Dominick Johnson:

Yes, I could do the downpayment. It's the qualifying for the monthly mortgage payment that I know I wouldn't qualify for.

Gotcha. I misunderstood your post and thought you were saying that you needed advice on how to make the deal work because you needed $200k as the downpayment. As far as qualifying for the loan, your best bet is to talk to your lender and see what they need from you to get you approved. 

Have you ran the numbers on this? My humble advice is don't do it. $850k is a huge risk for your first investment. I would strongly suggest starting out smaller. SFH that are under $250k are the quickest real estate to sell, so always consider your exit strategy in the beginning before making a purchase.

User Stats

Votes
Suzie Remilien
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 11 2022, 15:40
Quote from @Nessa Lyn:oh, I thought a Conventional loan would be 20% down! I'm in the process of getting a HELOC on the home, so I could definitely do 5-10% down.
Quote from @Suzie Remilien: You can put as little as 3% down on Conventional if it's a primary residence. With investment properties 20+% down payment is required on Conventional. Have your lender compare the costs of going FHA vs Conventional to see which loan option is best. 

@Nessa Lyn