Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Yulia Volokhina
Votes |
Cape Coral vs Port Charlotte vs North Port

Yulia Volokhina
Posted Jun 23 2024, 20:05

Hello, 

Question for those with experience investing in these areas. Which area is better for LTR SFH, Cape Coral vs Port Charlotte vs North Port, or Punta Gorda? Which is more rent reliable, best growing, both for cash flow and long term appreciation? And lowest flood/weather risks, insurance, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Stetson Miller
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied Jun 23 2024, 20:53

Hi @Yulia Volokhina,

All of these markets are very close to each other geographically, so you're not going to see massive differences between any of these. One thing that Cape Coral does offer over the others though is that being a much larger market, inventory will be more diverse, so you might have better luck finding a specific property type and price point. Cape Coral also offers a great supply of homes that are not in flood zones and otherwise have low storm risk, particularly with some newer builds

In terms of cash flow, single family in general is not going to be the best bet for optimizing that focus. However, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, and Lehigh Acres all offer multifamily inventory in comparable price ranges of single family homes in the other markets you mentioned, which will allow significantly higher cash flow potential

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Tumbarello
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied Jun 24 2024, 05:31

All three of the markets are the same with little nuances. Check out Lehigh Acres as well. Feel free to reach out

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 24 2024, 18:02
Quote from @Yulia Volokhina:

Hello, 

Question for those with experience investing in these areas. Which area is better for LTR SFH, Cape Coral vs Port Charlotte vs North Port, or Punta Gorda? Which is more rent reliable, best growing, both for cash flow and long term appreciation? And lowest flood/weather risks, insurance, etc?

none of them. get closer to a capital market and major city within 30 miles. all of these are too far. look at homestead or north of palm beach county, closer to tampa, etc not an hour away these are over delivered and new builds from tract builders are selling for less than 200 per sq ft right now in some of these markets rents have softened. there's no jobs or macro city that's driving these areas. these are softer markets for BTR than other ones. get more involved and directly contract with builders. miami dade county, even Orlando has better 

User Stats

Votes
John Oks
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pembroke Pines, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pembroke Pines, FL
Replied Jun 25 2024, 06:10

Hello, 

Hi Yulia,

Best growing and less insurance is definitely North Port, Cape Coral/Port Charlotte more established better cash flow and more rent reliable. Hope this helps!.

User Stats

Votes
Yulia Volokhina
Votes |
Replied Jun 25 2024, 06:26

Thank you for the insight. 

The website Businessobserverfl mentions that rental vacancy rates in Cape Coral is 15.3%. Does it sound right for the LTRs there?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Tumbarello
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied Jun 25 2024, 12:54

Thank you for the insight. 

The website Businessobserverfl mentions that rental vacancy rates in Cape Coral is 15.3%. Does it sound right for the LTRs there?

It is not that high. I have pretty detailed datasets, I rarely can replicate the medias "data"

User Stats

Votes
Carleen Murone
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jun 26 2024, 10:53

I agree with Jeff on the vacancy rates. I was just speaking with a property management company and he isn't having any trouble renting his units. One thing about Cape Coral is most SFH are not in gated communities so HOA's are not an issue. There are also several build-to-rent projects going on with builder financing deals snd some even offering perks like property management (even free for a period) so maintenance costs can be kept lower in the beginning years. North Port is a bit further from the projected growth boom that we will see in Cape Coral, and also Punta Gorda (airport and resort are brining in jobs and industry). Both Cape Coral and Punt Gorda, and possibly parts of Port Charlotte, will have growth of young families due to these jobs. Feel free to contact me to discuss further.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Tumbarello
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied Jun 26 2024, 12:47
Quote from @Carleen Murone:

I agree with Jeff on the vacancy rates. I was just speaking with a property management company and he isn't having any trouble renting his units. One thing about Cape Coral is most SFH are not in gated communities so HOA's are not an issue. There are also several build-to-rent projects going on with builder financing deals snd some even offering perks like property management (even free for a period) so maintenance costs can be kept lower in the beginning years. North Port is a bit further from the projected growth boom that we will see in Cape Coral, and also Punta Gorda (airport and resort are brining in jobs and industry). Both Cape Coral and Punt Gorda, and possibly parts of Port Charlotte, will have growth of young families due to these jobs. Feel free to contact me to discuss further.

If you price it at the market, it rents. Many of these BTR groups are pitching higher rents to get the deals to cash flow on paper.

User Stats

Votes
Carleen Murone
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jun 26 2024, 13:00

True

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 29 2024, 04:28
Quote from @Jeff Tumbarello:
Quote from @Carleen Murone:

If you price it at the market, it rents. Many of these BTR groups are pitching higher rents to get the deals to cash flow on paper.

and they never pencil. I looked at land and on same street there are rentals renting for 200 less than people being advertised higher I'm like wow people are going to be taken advantage of. that was in October I'm sure it's even worse now 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Jun 29 2024, 14:11

Cape Coral is the better of those cities for MANY reasons - age, growth, jobs, size, etc. Vacancies have gone up drastically over the past year but it isn't 15%. We do a much better job than most and we are vacancy rate is 3.3%.