Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Ask About A Real Estate Company
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Lin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Spartan Invest Hidden Fees

Joseph Lin
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Apr 9 2020, 08:34

Hi,

I would like to talk to other people who are investors with Spartan Invest in Alabama to see if they are seeing similar issues.

A little background. I purchased an investment home with them around 12/2018. It took them a while but was finally able to get tenants in around 3/2019 on two year lease. During that three months, I was not charged anything and because it took 3 months to put in tenants, they did not take first months rent as placement fee. Around 2/2020 the tenant broke the lease due to work. Because the tenant broke the lease and owned a pet, I was expecting to receive 2 months rent. Here is where a few things start feeling sketchy to me.

1. They still considered the early-termination fee and pet fee as rent so I was charged the usual management fee.

2. They charged me a lot of fees on move-out, one of which was a double charge for lock change that I had to ask multiple times to remove before they finally did.

3. Even after these move out fees, I'm still getting charged for things such as utility ($139.50), lawn mowing ($45.00), and house cleaning ($50.00). This does not seem right as I did not have to pay for these during the initial three months my property stood empty.

I feel like this is an attempt on their end to recoup losses caused by COVID. Anyone else having these issues with them?

User Stats

Votes
Mario Ingrao
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Apr 9 2020, 09:47

they all seem like reasonable fees as just ask for proof! it’s your property as gains and losses are on you! on all investments there are good and bad times!i was taught to have at least 10 k in reserves for each property owned! have an exit plan as if you feel being a landlord is not for you then sell within the next 3 years! your peace of mind is not worth it !

cheers 

mario

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Apr 9 2020, 09:51
Utls are your expense  lawn care is as well. and if it only cost 50 bucks to clean the house and is ready for a new tenant then that is a major miracle.. Most turnovers cost 500 to 2k each time a tenants unit needs a turnover..
and maybe that bill is yet to come..
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 9 2020, 12:49
Originally posted by @Joseph Lin:

Hi,

I would like to talk to other people who are investors with Spartan Invest in Alabama to see if they are seeing similar issues.

A little background. I purchased an investment home with them around 12/2018. It took them a while but was finally able to get tenants in around 3/2019 on two year lease. During that three months, I was not charged anything and because it took 3 months to put in tenants, they did not take first months rent as placement fee. Around 2/2020 the tenant broke the lease due to work. Because the tenant broke the lease and owned a pet, I was expecting to receive 2 months rent. Here is where a few things start feeling sketchy to me.

1. They still considered the early-termination fee and pet fee as rent so I was charged the usual management fee.

2. They charged me a lot of fees on move-out, one of which was a double charge for lock change that I had to ask multiple times to remove before they finally did.

3. Even after these move out fees, I'm still getting charged for things such as utility ($139.50), lawn mowing ($45.00), and house cleaning ($50.00). This does not seem right as I did not have to pay for these during the initial three months my property stood empty.

I feel like this is an attempt on their end to recoup losses caused by COVID. Anyone else having these issues with them?

Grass doesn't stop growing when a tenant moves out my man. It's actually mind boggling that you'd expect a property manager to cut your grass for free. In addition, Why would you think that the house doesn't need to be cleaned after a tenant moved out? These are the costs of doing business. I think you need to take a deep dive into the realities of what you as a property owner needs to do in order to maintain a product that tenants will pay for.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Lin
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 9 2020, 14:42

@Jay Hinrichs - I've been billed several times during the date the tenant moved out. One bill for $525 was labeled as MOVEOUT, which I assumed was all the repairs/cleaning required to get the place ready for the next tenant. 

@James Wise - My issue isn't with the fee itself. It's a question of discrepancy. Why would these fees have not shown up when the property was initially vacant but is showing up now? In terms of cleaning, as I mentioned to Jay I was already billed $525 for moveout fee which I thought covered cleaning. Also, they take the first months rent once a tenant has been placed (if can be placed within first month vacancy), which I assumed covered all the fees to get the place rented (advertising, lawn mowing, etc).

My question was really directed towards other customers to see if they were seeing similar experiences. I have no issues paying for fees but when the fees don't match what I've seen historically, then there's a problem.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 9 2020, 15:19

@Jay Hinrichs - I've been billed several times during the date the tenant moved out. One bill for $525 was labeled as MOVEOUT, which I assumed was all the repairs/cleaning required to get the place ready for the next tenant. 

@James Wise - My issue isn't with the fee itself. It's a question of discrepancy. Why would these fees have not shown up when the property was initially vacant but is showing up now? In terms of cleaning, as I mentioned to Jay I was already billed $525 for moveout fee which I thought covered cleaning. Also, they take the first months rent once a tenant has been placed (if can be placed within first month vacancy), which I assumed covered all the fees to get the place rented (advertising, lawn mowing, etc).

My question was really directed towards other customers to see if they were seeing similar experiences. I have no issues paying for fees but when the fees don't match what I've seen historically, then there's a problem.

A leasing fee is going to cover 1 thing....Leasing your property. That's industry standard. Every additional service will of course need to be paid for as well such as cleaning, lawn mowing, fixing repairs etc....Again industry standard.

As for you not being billed for grass when you 1st bought the property, you're right man. Spartan Invest should go back and bill you for the grass cutting you didn't pay for. Good catch.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Kaczmarek
  • Investor
  • Dallas, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, GA
Replied Apr 9 2020, 17:12

@Joseph - I own a couple of house bought from and managed by Spartan. The $525 was the move out repairs after the tenant vacated the house. You should ask for the details on what this covered. The utilities and grass are just carrying cost that owners need to cover when not rented whether Spartan, another PM or you manage the property. The cleaning fee covers cleaning the house each month while prospective tenants tramp through the house on showings. I’d rather have them clean it than have mud, grass clippings or whatever accumulate. I won’t even talk about what can be left in the toilets. A clean house shows better. So why now and not on the initial rent up when you bought? They did that for me too and it turns out they covered those costs as a value add to a new investor. None of these charges are outside the norm and not invented by them. You always need to question your PM and stay on top of things, but you may just need to reset your expectations a bit regarding the costs above. My two cents.

User Stats

Votes
Michael P.
  • Brooke Park Drive
Votes |
  • Brooke Park Drive
Replied Apr 9 2020, 17:24

There are plenty of other property managers if you are not satisfied with spartan. NOT paying for certain fees the initial three months was probably part of some sort of turnkey guarantee.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Lin
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 9 2020, 20:07

@Scott Kaczmarek - Thank you. I think the issue with the double charge and lack of communication (had to find out tenant broke the lease myself) left a bad taste in my mouth and start to question a lot of the things I was seeing. My intent for this posting was to affirm that the charges I'm seeing is the norm, not to make false accusations.

@Michael P. - Thanks, looks like it was.

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
Pro Member
  • Kentucky
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kentucky
Replied Apr 10 2020, 04:35

Did their ownership change relatively recently?  I thought it was Clayton but now appears to be someone else.  Wondering what happened there.  

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Apr 10 2020, 05:20

Hi,

Early termination issue aside, these fees seem more than reasonable.

As someone who chooses to self-manage,  I charge myself more than they are charging you, accidental small doublecharge excepted.  

Do a turnover or two on your own and feel what it's like. Tons of small little punch list items need a whole repair van to address it seems.  Consider yourself lucky!

User Stats

Votes
Cj Powderhorn
  • Investor
  • Utah
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Utah
Replied Aug 2 2020, 17:18

Hi, does anyone else have any recent experience with Spartan?  Or comparision shop them against other TK? Are they actually a TK or more like a Marketplace?  Thanks, Cj

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Nelson
  • Polson, MT
Votes |
  • Polson, MT
Replied Aug 17 2020, 13:34

@Cj Powderhorn

Yes, they are a turnkey company, not a promoter like some companies. I purchased two properties this year from them.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Natalia Sturza
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Replied Aug 17 2020, 14:30

I have 2 properties with them as well. Both are performing as expected, one performs even a little better than planned. 

First one 100k, with 20% down almost $300 in cashflow a month.

Second one 88k, with 20% down, around $200 in cashflow. 

User Stats

Votes
Chase Maglangit
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Votes |
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Replied Dec 6 2020, 16:34

Aloha @Natalia Sturza, what area did you invest in? I was looking to buy from Spartan in the Hartselle

Area

User Stats

Votes
Natalia Sturza
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Replied Dec 7 2020, 09:42

@Chase Maglangit they both are in Birmingham, 35214 and 35215 areas.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Compton
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 7 2020, 20:04

@Chase Maglangit You may want to steer clear of 35215 going forward...and possibly even parts of 35235. Those two zips are quickly making the daily headlines for shootings, car jackings, break-ins and all the fun stuff that goes with it. There's a lot of really good people in those areas, but those good people will leave if they keep reading about shootings in their backyard every other day.

And locally, I've never heard a bad word about Spartan.

User Stats

Votes
Chase Maglangit
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Votes |
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Replied Dec 7 2020, 20:21

@Jay Compton geez!!!! Ok, thank you for the heads up! Yeah I’ve heard a lot of ghee at things about Spartan!

User Stats

Votes
Chase Maglangit
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Votes |
  • Ewa Beach, HI
Replied Dec 7 2020, 20:22

@Jay Compton too be honest, that all sounds a lot like Hawaii now days, sad to say ...

User Stats

Votes
Lane Kawaoka
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Replied Dec 8 2020, 10:54

That is just how it is when going with a TKP. That is why I sold my turnkeys. Its just really hard to keep people honest and not get abused as a OOS. Everyone thinks you are a rich OOS landlord.