Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Ask About A Real Estate Company
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aimee Schaef
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oshkosh
Votes |
Lending Co. - First Choice Lending Group - Scam or Real

Aimee Schaef
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oshkosh
Posted Apr 7 2009, 13:56

Hi guys

I just wanna ask something about this lending company because it bothers me that I haven't got an answer to my question yet. First of all, I applied online a month ago already. I never received a
welcome email nor confirmation. But then all of the sudden they emailed me a week ago saying i got approved. I called the tollfree number she provided in the email. During our conversation, there were 3 choices she gave me so I can acquire the loan. First; co-signer, Second; property or asset that cost more than 50k as collateral, Third; insurance blanket (cost $680). So i choose choice 3. Then, I faxed a photo copy of may recent pay stubs, drivers license and SSN. Then I called her again to let her know that I sent everything and she said she is going to email me the contract. In short, I received the contract and take a look at it. Everything was so convincing and looks legitimate. But what worries me is sending $680 through western union before they give me the funds. The address of the insurance company is in canada and that made me aware because of scams specially in canada. I cant afford to loose $680, thats a lot of money. Also, I was wondering why because I can't really trace the business name on the address she provided. Fax, tollfree and phone are all same tollfree numbers. The address of the website says they are in california, but when I check the domain name online, it says they are in canada. Their site also said they started since 1990 but I cant trace any marks of comments or anything from my searches.

I'm confused, please help. I'm a newbie. I don't wanna be scammed nor I dont wanna let go the opportunity if this is real. I'm not sure though if I can expose the the website here. It is called First Choice Lending Group and the website is www.firstchoicelendinggrp.com

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Apr 7 2009, 10:19

if you feel it is a scam, it usually is

User Stats

Votes
Zainab Ariyibi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Replied Apr 8 2009, 04:17

I agree with Nick. I wouldnt send the $680 Aimee. Oftentimes, when our gut feeling tells us something isnt right, it usually is.

Just be patient and seek other legitimate lenders. Just continue to do your due diligence and you'll be fine.

Good luck with your investing...

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Nick J.
  • Payson, AZ
Votes |
  • Payson, AZ
Replied Apr 8 2009, 04:19
Originally posted by Zainab Ariyibi:
Oftentimes, when our gut feeling tells us something isnt right, it usually is.

the problem is we never listen to our stupid gut................and then we regret it later. :roll:

User Stats

Votes
Kevin M
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York
Replied Apr 11 2009, 08:36

If you think its a scam you might want to put an alert on your credit file since you faxed them all the info they need to scam you(copy of drivers lic,ss #).they may try to open up accounts in your name.good luck

User Stats

Votes
Claude Hodge
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Castle Rock / Ft. Carson, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Castle Rock / Ft. Carson, CO
Replied Apr 11 2009, 23:53

Hey Aimee. This absolutely a scam! I have never heard of them, but I know that I have seen many, many warnings about any company that asks you to send money ahead of time. Any company that has a legitimate product or service to offer should not need to collect first. They should be confident that once their services have been rendered, you will be pleased and pay the appropriate fees. I also know from personal experience. Years ago, I was desperate to get my debt under control. I answered an ad about a consolidation company. They said they could roll al my debt into one manageable loan, and subsequently, pay off all my existing debt. Everything they say is very convincing, and when you are in a bind, you hear what you want to hear, and sometimes, you will believe anything that sounds even close to something that will benefit you! We sent them over 800.00 to "get the process started", and never heard from them again. This company was also from Canada......red flag. Basically , these people set up shop in New York, or somewhere close to the border for a couple of weeks. The put out ads, collect on a bunch of suckers like me, and then it's back North for them! We opened up an investigation on them through the postal service, because it is wire fraud, but we were told the chances were slim that we would see a resolution.......and they were right! A hard lesson learned for me, but you live and learn right?

Bottom line is that these companies are fake, their people enjoy kicking someone while they are down, and they have absolutely no heart if they are willing to take advantage of people who are in real need. Anyway, I really hope you didn't already send the money, because I know what you are about to go through (the realization that you have just been a victim of long-distance mugging).

By the way, since the time this happened to me, I have been in contact with a couple of other companies for various types of services who also asked for an upfront fee. As soon as I started to question them on this point, they would damn near hang up on me, because they know that I am not a good mark for them.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but I hope it helped! Good luck!

Claude

User Stats

Votes
Michael Culler
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa Bay, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa Bay, FL
Replied Apr 12 2009, 10:51

I hope you didn't send the money. Dont pay any up front fees to lenders.

Unless you are looking for more than 2 million dollars on a Commercial Hard Money project you shouldn't have to pay anyone up front.

User Stats

Votes
Aimee Schaef
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oshkosh
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oshkosh
Replied Apr 13 2009, 00:55

Hi Guys

Until now, she still sending me emails
to get back to her. I didn't send the money though...but I almost did. I am glad I seek advises here first and did numerous research online. Your inputs helped me alot in deciding what to do. Thank you all.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Culler
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa Bay, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tampa Bay, FL
Replied Apr 13 2009, 21:09

You're welcome, happy to help.

I wanted to clarify that the only up front fee you should pay would be to an appraiser for the appraisal that would be necessary.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 17 2009, 10:06

PLEASE DON"T SEND THEM MONEY they got busted about 3 years ago and now they are back, go to rip off report.com read about them plus as seen on good morning america YOU NEVER SEND MONEY WESTERN UNION ECSPECIALLY TO CANADA if you do then the attorney general can't help you OUTSIDE OF USA that is why they are targeting americans also when you apply for a loan a loan company never asks for money up front. that defeats the whole purpose! they almost got me about 3 years aggo they said they were based in georgia there home office ic alled that number they guy said no mam you send them 600.00 then they never give your loan they say it's your banks fault. please report your situatuion as i had to, or call cnn OR 48 HOURS SOMEONE I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE BACK [/url] PLEASE GO TO THAT WEB SITE AND READ MY STORY! THEY CLAIMN THEY DON'T LOOK IN TOCREDIT THEY GOVE EVERYONE A CHANCE, IT'S A SCAM I'M TELLING YOU I PROMISE YOU THAT IF YOU SEND THAT MONEY THEY MIGHT SEND A CHECK NOW FED EX BUT IT BOUNCES THAT IS THE NEWEST ONE! RIPOFFREPORT.COM HAS NOW OVER 1000 VICTIMS WITH THEIR STORIES TOLD !http://ripoffreport.com/reports/0/193/RipOff0193971.htm READ MY STORY!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 17 2009, 10:08

hello i replied to your post on bigger pockets please go read i had this happen to me about 3 yrs. ago i promise you this is a scam anyways please give me any information youhave for them so i can go to the FBI THEY ARE NOW BACK AND I DON'T WANT ANYMORE VICTIMS. YOU CAN EMAIL ME @ [email protected] I CAN GIVE YOU MY PHONE # IF U WANT NOT ON HERE I DON'T KNOW WHO ALL SEES THESE! PLEASE READ MY POST I PUT ON RIPOFFREPORT.COM ABOUT THEM
THERE ARE NOW OVER 1000 VICTIMS THAT TOLD THERE STORY JUST ON THAT PAGE CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MANY THERE ARE OUT THERE THAT DIDN'T REPORT IT. ALSO READ MY POST TO YOU, http://ripoffreport.com/reports/0/193/RipOff0193971.htm THE SAD THING IS WHEN I CONFRONTED THEY GUY TOLD HIM I KNEWIT WASA SCAM HE CALLED MED EVERYTHING BUT A LADY. HE TOLD ME HE WAS A MILLION ARE HE WILL NEVER GET CAUSGHT I TRACED THE NUMBERS THEY WERE CALLING FROM THEY WERE PRE PAID CELL PHONES THEN THEY HARRASSED ME AFTER THAT THEN I TOOK ACTION . SO PLEASE HELP ME SO I CAN NOTIFY THAT THEY ARE BACK