Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alex Peralta
  • Stuart, FL
Votes |
Oceanpointe and Morris Invest

Alex Peralta
  • Stuart, FL
Posted

With all the info coming out about Oceanpointe I thought id give my recent dealings. I purchased a property through Morris Invest about a year and a half ago. I may have gotten lucky because everything went smooth at first. I closed fairly quick, renovations completed and a tenant moved in within a couple months of purchase. I did this as a trial to see how a turn key property deal was like. Last month no rent. rent. We got an invoice for $0. A quick email from OP stated that the tenant had not paid rent. After that no contact or communication at all. Phone calls went unanswered and eventually i got a full voicemail message. At that point we decided to try and quickly change companies. I am not sure of Oceanpointes status now. I sent an email and certified letter terminating our agreement. I also sent a letter to the address. I was trying to get in touch with the tenant and advise them that they should no longer deal with OP and our new PM would be making contact. The tenant called back. They had been living there since the beginning. We never had a tenant change over but OP still charged me a clean up fee and a new tenant fee. We also learned today that a guy named Louis with Oceanpointe kicked the door in thinking it was vacant. OP refused to fix their mistake and told the tenant they had to pay for it. We have now found a new company that seems to be very responsive and will give my reviews once we've had a few months to get a feel for them.

A quick search shows Natalie Bastin as the owner of Oceanpointe Investments. I am curious if she has not started up another company doing the same thing?

User Stats

Votes
Alex Peralta
  • Stuart, FL
Votes |
  • Stuart, FL
Replied

interesting read

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/oceanpointe-property-managementoceanpoint-investments/indianapolis-indiana-46226/oceanpointe-property-managementoceanpoint-investments-oceanpoint-investmentsoceanpoint-1427652#comment_3

User Stats

Votes
Lane Kawaoka
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Replied

As a previous turnkey buyer myself I’ll say this is what happens when people don’t know what they are doing.

A few rules to avoid this:

Stick with b properties or better that rent for at least 900 a month.

Always get an appraisal and inspection.

Never pay cash... have the bank that you are getting a loan with help with due diligence.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Clothier
Professional Services
Pro Member
#4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • memphis, TN
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • memphis, TN
Replied
Originally posted by @Lane Kawaoka:

As a previous turnkey buyer myself I’ll say this is what happens when people don’t know what they are doing.

Never pay cash... have the bank that you are getting a loan with help with due diligence.

These are so basic and yet they are FUNDAMENTAL if you are going to be successful as a passive investor.  Whether you are buying across town or across the country, passive investors raise their risks when they fail to follow even these three basic tips.

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
David Saquing
  • Pacifica, CA
Votes |
  • Pacifica, CA
Replied

Alex,
Who is your new property manager? I want to use them too since nobody’s replying from both Morris Invest and Oceanpointe. Please help. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Shiloh Lundahl
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied

@David Saquing I don’t know which property manager Alex switched to but I was not satisfied with my previous property manager so I switched to @Harvey Levin and I have be happy with the services that I have gotten from him. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Peralta
  • Stuart, FL
Votes |
  • Stuart, FL
Replied

The company I went with is “Harvey Property Managment Group”. They have been very responsive and actually call back even now after we’ve signed on. I can’t post contact info on here but message me and I’ll send you the email and number

User Stats

Votes
David Saquing
  • Pacifica, CA
Votes |
  • Pacifica, CA
Replied

@Shiloh Lundahl Thanks. He is the one that @Alex Peralta recommended. Thanks for the help guys.

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Lane Kawaoka:

Lane, this makes it sound as though it's simply buying in a bad neighborhood. With OceanPoint it starts with a bad neighborhood but the problems go much deeper. This is a case of a bad turn key provider. They would be having this same problem if OP was operating in B class neighborhoods. 

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Portsmouth, NH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Portsmouth, NH
Replied

I’m amazed at how often these creeps are brought up and this Morris Invest malarkey.

I would certainly support Lane Kawaoka turnkey criteria - it is spot on to the properties I have and they have been success stories.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Heimsoth
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied

I think the rental amount varies by area. I try to stay above 750 and I think 800 is good to. 900 or more in a lot of markets will get you an A type area. Which is fine but the cash flow is less. You can have success in lower areas, it just takes more due dilligence.

Never pay cash from a turnkey company. I can almost guarantee you’re paying way above fair market value.

User Stats

Votes
Omar Khan
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

Watching the Morris Invest train wreck is becoming a guilty pleasure. 

Really hope the investor's get their day in court and recover as much of their investment as possible. What an absolute scam!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Martin
  • Investor
  • Springtown, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Springtown, TX
Replied

@Alex Peralta We are discovering the same nonsense and have moved to take action on these turkeys. I am sorry to hear you are having the same issue and hope there is a larger class-action movement against what looks to be very fraudulent activity. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Votes |
Dennis M.#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Erie, pa
Replied

This is so sad to watch . Clayton has such great videos on investing and a calm collected demeanor that I could see how people would want to work with him . Shady business practices and Every property I’ve seen online that he sells looks to be a d class dump in dire need of maintenance .

User Stats

Votes
Steve VanderHill
  • Nekoosa, WI
Votes |
  • Nekoosa, WI
Replied

I've had a bad experience with Oceanpointe and Morris Invest as well. Clayton's failing PM company Blue Sky, is not helping either.  I have heard there may be a class action lawsuit in the works.  Any info, if any, is appreciated.  It seems MI knew that this was a problem yet kept selling homes anyway.  He comes across as a caring and personable salesman, yet kept duping investors knowing about the rip off they were buying into.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied
Originally posted by @Steve VanderHill:

I've had a bad experience with Oceanpointe and Morris Invest as well. Clayton's failing PM company Blue Sky, is not helping either.  I have heard there may be a class action lawsuit in the works.  Any info, if any, is appreciated.  It seems MI knew that this was a problem yet kept selling homes anyway.  He comes across as a caring and personable salesman, yet kept duping investors knowing about the rip off they were buying into.

@Colin Zhu  contact Colin he is helping Morris Victims and yes Victims Morris cant be the 9 year old child ( i did not do it I did not do it)  that is an insult to your intelligence.. this must be stopped

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Heimsoth
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied

For any newbie investors who read this thread or another, if you are buying long distance and you have a PM company who doesn’t respond within 24 hours of all requests during the work week, find a new Pm company.

User Stats

Votes
Jade S.
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Replied

Yet the Morris Invest Facebook page chugs along with nary a hiccup...it’s like a whole parallel universe where newbie investors chime in on their love for the podcasts and desire to hit their “freedom number”.  And on the MI post concerning his new podcast episode 327, he discusses buying...B class properties.  Who woulda thunk it!