Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
Cash Out Refinance

Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Posted

I’m experiencing a slight problem that I didn’t know existed until now and it may just be regional. (Mobile, Al) The two banks I tried to see what the numbers would be regarding a cash-out refinance, they only do 75% of the purchase price + construction cost and not 75% of appraised value that I’m used to.

I did try a DSCR refi, and after several paperwork being submitted, credit score ran, appraisal bought, only to have my numbers change before signing the docs for closing-so that was a dud.

My question, who do you know that’s a reputable Union or bank that’s doing at least 75% of appraised value?

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied

Hi Ahmad - What is the seasoning period? That is going to play a part in leverage. If it is over 6 months you should not have a problem getting 75% LTV.

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

July 2023

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

July 2023

I'd be curious to hear more about the property. Sending you dm. 

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Ok

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

I’m experiencing a slight problem that I didn’t know existed until now and it may just be regional. (Mobile, Al) The two banks I tried to see what the numbers would be regarding a cash-out refinance, they only do 75% of the purchase price + construction cost and not 75% of appraised value that I’m used to.

I did try a DSCR refi, and after several paperwork being submitted, credit score ran, appraisal bought, only to have my numbers change before signing the docs for closing-so that was a dud.

My question, who do you know that’s a reputable Union or bank that’s doing at least 75% of appraised value?

What was the reason behind the term change? Sounds like you have sufficient seasoning. What is your credit score?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

Hey Ahmad,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having. The two things that came to mind when I saw this were seasoning (as previously mentioned) and potentially property value? 

Most conventional lenders run with a required 12 month seasoning, so having purchased in 7/23, likely won't be able to use them until 7/24 or later. 

As for the DSCR lender, if the numbers moved a bit on you, my guess is either the appraisal came in a bit lower which hindered either a DSCR minimum or a minimum loan amount? Shot you a DM as well, would be happy to take a look as well.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Credit score around 780

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Hey!

Thanks for responding. Neither was the issue. I terminated the process. Appraised at 255,500 and my credit score is around 780-when pulled I think it came around 760, but a reverse late payment that was reported (now resolve bc it was incorrect) my score went back to the original score. Seasoning was not a factor.

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

They stated that the “market rent” came lower than expected and tried to tell me that market rents in the area justify $1300, which that’s just what I “accepted” on paper from the tenant. There’s no way, it’s at least $1900 which I’m going up on rent to that amount next year and the tenant knows. For the record, I get $1600/month for the property.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Herndon
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

They stated that the “market rent” came lower than expected and tried to tell me that market rents in the area justify $1300, which that’s just what I “accepted” on paper from the tenant. There’s no way, it’s at least $1900 which I’m going up on rent to that amount next year and the tenant knows. For the record, I get $1600/month for the property.

If your market rents are lower than the actual rents, underwriting will use 110% of the market rent values to give you some "extra credit" for your DSCR. $1430 isn't $1600, but it's better than $1300.

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

What @Nate Herndon said ☝🏼

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

@Ahmad Moore    Do you have current financing on the property or own the property free and clear? 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Alex Bekeza
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

@Ahmad Moore 

Did the lender try to help you dispute the market rent? Rent comp data is not as easy for the appraisers to capture as sales comp data is so they often make errors on this.

When I run into this issue with my clients I ask them to send me 3-4 rent comps in the area to dispute.  This can be a combo of zillow listings, craigslist, etc but the best thing would be a rent roll from a property manager confirming a higher market rent.  I've found that appraisers are much more likely to revise their market rent number than they are the value itself.  

Was this appraisal ordered through a big AMC like appraisal nation who most DSCR lenders would accept a transfer from?

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

No, market rents are higher than what I’m currently charging unless I’m getting confused as to what you’re considering as ‘market rents.’ What I’m assuming market rent to be is what available comps (rental wise) within the area that’s comparable vs what I’m getting rent for currently.

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Financed.

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Yes, eventually he did, although the terms was not favorable and I would’ve just been settling. There isn’t a need but a want, so the numbers has to make sense for me! They ordered their own appraisal.

Just to be honest, I was never keen on prepayment penalties but I almost was willing-but if you (DSCR) loans are ran like I experienced I rather not… I'm almost certain they may though..unfortunately.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

Financed.

The reason you cannot get a conventional loan with cash out up to 75% using the new value is if you currently have financing you have to wait 12 months. This used to be 6 months but changed last April. see link:   https://capitalmarkets.fanniemae.com/mortgage-backed-securit...

So, you would just need to wait to CLOSE 12 months and 1 day from the recording date on your current mortgage. You CAN start the process and even lock your rate and have everything ready to close on day 12 months +1.  We have a 2-step process that gets your around this waiting period for a conventional loan, but not worth doing when you only have to wait a month+ at this point for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Thanks for responding. Maybe I need to update it to say @ Seasoning is not an issue “ 🙂 The problem is me getting a loan 75% of appraised value, and it’s really not a problem it’s just that my go-to banks are doing 75% from PP + cost. I haven’t searched another bank-yet.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Bekeza
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Most lenders are going to be limited to using the lower of appraiser's opinion of market rent or the actual in place lease (or in some cases 110% of market if lease is greater) so it sounds like you just need to roll the dice on a new appraisal but I'd recommend having some rent comps on hand for the appraiser up front just to avoid the same issue. 75% cash out pending positive DSCR is widely available at most DSCR lenders.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

@Ahmad Moore- thanks - if ypu  purchased in July 2023 - you can  apply and get loan approved now - you may need to wait until July  to close ....seasoing  varies  from state to state and program to program

User Stats

Votes
Nate Herndon
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

Thanks for responding. Maybe I need to update it to say @ Seasoning is not an issue “ 🙂 The problem is me getting a loan 75% of appraised value, and it’s really not a problem it’s just that my go-to banks are doing 75% from PP + cost. I haven’t searched another bank-yet.

Ahmad, a DSCR loan will only require 90-day seasoning - which you hit in October 2023. Anytime after 90 days you are eligible to close a cash-out refinance at 75% loan-to-value (or 80%, in Alabama).

As long as the DSCR breaks even at 1.00 or greater, you're all set. Lots of good input from folks here. Sounds like your current lender is just behind the times as far as giving a BRRRR investor what they need.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Ahmad Moore:

Seasoning IS 100% for sure an issue for a full doc loan until 12 months. Your LO does not understand that is the issue but it is in black and white on the link I posted. Your bank is simply offering you a conventional loan.  SEASONING is the reason you can not borrow 75%. 

You can do a DSCR with less then 12 months seasoning but you have seen the negatives with those loans which include higher costs/rates and pre-payment penalties.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied
Quote from @Dave Skow:

@Ahmad Moore- thanks - if ypu  purchased in July 2023 - you can  apply and get loan approved now - you may need to wait until July  to close ....seasoing  varies  from state to state and program to program

Conventional loan is a conventional loan no matter what state therefore the rules are the same on ALL conventional loans. 

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Yes, that’s why I’m saying seasoning is not an issue.. all my loans are conventional. We haven’t gotten to paperwork stage because it’s not what I’m looking for but they’re definitely aware how long I’ve had the property 

User Stats

Votes
Ahmad Moore
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mobile, Al
Replied

Why roll the dice on a new appraisal, not understanding that part since it’s been about 2-3 weeks of getting one?