Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Austin Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Elon Musk plans to move to Texas

Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Posted Dec 4 2020, 14:53

CNBC, working off anonymous sources, reported Dec. 4 that the billionaire who also runs SpaceX and The Boring Company has put his California houses on the market this year and he has told close friends and associates that he intends to move to Texas.

Noting that Musk is the world’s second-wealthiest person behind Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, CNBC reports that Musk “spends most of his time between Austin, where Tesla and his tunnel start-up Boring Company have operations, and a coastal village called Boca Chica, home to a SpaceX facility."

SpaceX has been operating in Texas since 2003. Earlier this year, Tesla opted to build a massive car factory just east of Austin. Tesla has said it plans to create at least 5,000 jobs in Austin, although experts suggest the final figure could be significantly higher. And late this year, The Boring Company started posting jobs in Austin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/au...

User Stats

Votes
Lamont Chen
  • Realtor
  • Hudson County, NJ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Hudson County, NJ
Replied Dec 4 2020, 18:15

@Neil Narayan

Joe Rogan now Elon. Nice! Definitely going to help the market there.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 4 2020, 18:50

Did you see the CEO of Dropbox just moved to Austin as well.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sedillo
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 5 2020, 05:47

Tim Ferriss and Ryan Holiday as well. Beyond just the "famous" new Austin residents, we have a considerable amount of California real estate investment money flowing into the city. We already have a hot market, in two years my bet is that we will be looking back at 2020 and wishing we had invested even more.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 5 2020, 07:58

I agree @Paul Sedillo! The famous people make the news but the several thousand others that move are the ones making the market explode!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 5 2020, 08:19

@Paul Sedillo @Jordan Moorhead Agreed. The bigger movers to Austin are all the mid-level employees of all the new employers coming to town. The dam has long broken, but the water flow pouring out may continue for decades to come.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sedillo
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 5 2020, 08:44

Not sure if I mentioned to you @Ryan Kelly and @Jordan Moorhead, my offer for a 6.5 acre land parcel was accepted on Friday. Shame that it's not in Del Valley or Buda!

As for the money flowing in, I think we've only begun to see the massive influx that's going to hit us.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Rozo
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Dec 5 2020, 14:43

@Ryan Kelly

Is it too late for a new investor to get their foot in the door?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 5 2020, 15:29

@Richard Rozo Not at all, so it all depends on your goals to determine if Austin is a good fit for you. Happy to chat about the market and opportunities anytime.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Stricklen
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 06:45

I'm not sure I have anything available for him right now, but I'll look at my current inventory. I knew I was dropping the ball on getting EV chargers installed in all my garages. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Dec 6 2020, 07:12
Originally posted by @Matt Stricklen:

I'm not sure I have anything available for him right now, but I'll look at my current inventory. I knew I was dropping the ball on getting EV chargers installed in all my garages.

I have been putting them in my spec homes this year..  although not all EV's use the same plug  Teslas is only for a TEsla cord.. I have Tesla personally but none of my buyers so far in my new community in Canby have EV's  but I tell the folks within 10 years everyone will have at least one.. and you wont have to tear into your garage wall to install one  !!  does it make  sales nope.. does it feel good sure. !

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Dec 6 2020, 07:15
Originally posted by @Ryan Kelly:

@Richard Rozo Not at all, so it all depends on your goals to determine if Austin is a good fit for you. Happy to chat about the market and opportunities anytime.

this kind of reminds me of growing up in Cupertino when high tech just boomed.. maybe one day a 1500 sq ft 50 year old rancher will be worth 1.5 to 3 million like the bay area..  Although I do think property tax's being what they are in Texas is modulate the values somewhat??

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 07:44

@Jay Hinrichs   Everyone complains about Texas taxes...but the 1500sqft rancher here is probably $150,000-$250,000 depending on where you buy....so the taxes might be $3000-$6000.  Not sure what they would be on $2,000,000 in CA, but I wouldn't think all that different.

Of course if you take the $1.5mil you get for it there and then spend the same here, you get one of the best houses in town, but the taxes are probably triple...or you buy a more modest house and two duplexes and let the cash flow from the duplexes pay the extra taxes.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Dec 6 2020, 07:55
Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn:

@Jay Hinrichs   Everyone complains about Texas taxes...but the 1500sqft rancher here is probably $150,000-$250,000 depending on where you buy....so the taxes might be $3000-$6000.  Not sure what they would be on $2,000,000 in CA, but I wouldn't think all that different.

Of course if you take the $1.5mil you get for it there and then spend the same here, you get one of the best houses in town, but the taxes are probably triple...or you buy a more modest house and two duplexes and let the cash flow from the duplexes pay the extra taxes.

well not everyone wants to be a landlord :).. and I suspect, don't know for sure.. but based on what the CA transplants buy in our market here in Oregon ( and I am a CA transplant) .. they go for nicer houses..  tax rate in CA  is about 1.25%  same as Oregon and that's on assessed value which is less than what yu paid or market value.. Also in CA with prop 13.. tax's don't get reassessed yearly and can stay very very low during your entire ownership.

So you could have someone who paid 500k for the Palo Alto rancher in the late 80s  paying maybe 7 to 8k per year.. and the house next door just sold for 2.5 million and they are paying 30k a year or so.. 

I will bet a high paid CA transplant will buy the nicest home they can get into.. they wont buy 250k ranchers is my guess .. 

really depends on new construction.. if you have unfettered new construction prices will stay lower.. keep in Mind in the Bay area there is literally no land.. the only new construction is basically tear downs.. And in Portland proper kind of the same thing.  New communities are being build around the metro fringe.. anything in the city proper is infill.  As with all things real estate its location location location and then supply demand.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 08:01

@Jay Hinrichs   Yes...a guy at a research company that does work for builders one time told me we have 50,000 lots that either are ready to build on or could be ready within 2 years in DFW area.  He said there were not 50,000 in all of CA due to all the different restrictions.   Some builders here are no long signing contracts since they're so backed up.  Many others are quoting 12months from contract to closing.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Dec 6 2020, 08:07
Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn:

@Jay Hinrichs   Yes...a guy at a research company that does work for builders one time told me we have 50,000 lots that either are ready to build on or could be ready within 2 years in DFW area.  He said there were not 50,000 in all of CA due to all the different restrictions.   Some builders here are no long signing contracts since they're so backed up.  Many others are quoting 12months from contract to closing.

our process is  2 months to get permits from first day of submission.. and 5 months to build.. production builders 4 months.  we are semi custom though .. so takes us a little longer and totally upgraded compared to the big production builders.

that 50,000 number for CA is way off there are literally millions of vacant lots.. But of course most of them are not in or within commute distance to the city centers.. these were created during the land booms of the late 1800 and up till about 1930.. Riverside county

San Bernadino county there are well over 1 million vacant lots there..  But in the Bay Area 7 counties I suspect the number to be much lower.. There are antiquated plats in the bay area that will never be developed.  Same with Los Angeles county.  The sprawl is central valley

And the aforementioned Counties surrounding LA..  

User Stats

Votes
Robert M.
  • Investor
  • Dundee, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dundee, OR
Replied Dec 6 2020, 08:42
Originally posted by @Neil Narayan:

Did you see the CEO of Dropbox just moved to Austin as well.

Hewlett Packard could be added to the growing list of companies leaving California.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 08:47

Rumor is that Mush and a few of his top Exec have already bought houses in Westlake :|

Account Closed
  • Contractor
Votes |
  • Contractor
Replied Dec 6 2020, 09:23

@Neil Narayan this news is about 4 months old it seems. I heard this on places like infowars a few months ago, as well as the Joe Rogan news way back before the mainstream. CNBC might be a little behind the curve if you’re looking to get ahead on trends. It seems the money makers moved from NY to FL and the CA businesses are going from CA to TX. All the money hungry are after Austin area. Austin is the new NYC.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 11:15

@Neil Narayan

Hundreds of people are moving to Texas every month.

Elon Musk movement will not help the Real Estate that much.

The main factor is the jobs he bring.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sedillo
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 12:03

@Wale Lawal you are 176% correct. It's all about job creation, which drives buyers and ultimately deals that matter to those in real estate.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 14:38

@Jay Hinrichs Unlike Cupertino or Palo Alto, we have WAY more land. You can build neighborhoods in all directions. San Antonio and Austin are slowly growing together.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Jeanfreau
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied Dec 6 2020, 16:10

Hopefully for Texas sake they will leave their voting style behind .Also remember why they left Cali in the first place.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Jeffery Callis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Dec 6 2020, 16:49

@Neil Narayan

I wouldn’t put any bets on Tesla helping the surrounding economy in TX. Musk is only moving to Texas to save on taxes, pay the employees less, and last but not least to keep taking advantage of corporate welfare from the state of Texas.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Dec 6 2020, 17:08
Originally posted by @Ryan Kelly:

@Jay Hinrichs Unlike Cupertino or Palo Alto, we have WAY more land. You can build neighborhoods in all directions. San Antonio and Austin are slowly growing together.

yup you can build all the way to new mexico  ,   Oklahoma and LA  only place you cant go is Mexico and the Gulf  !!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine H.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 17:47

@Robert M. Yes i think they're planning on taking their hq to Houston.