Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Greg G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southwest Michigan
Votes |
A Urinal

Greg G.
  • Southwest Michigan
Posted Aug 20 2010, 13:29

I always thought it would be cool to install a urinal in my house. Quite the status symbol, I know. I've also thought that a urinal would be a pretty cool signature piece to put in rentals or flips, (though likely targeting the wrong sex). It's the ladies that like the bathrooms and kitchen's, right?

Anyone ever installed one? About how much does it cost?

PS - What's the most unique feature you've seen in house? That you've wanted to put in a house or actually did put in a house?

Please share!

User Stats

Votes
Andy J.
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Aug 20 2010, 13:40

Don't do it. That's an extremely taste specific feature, you're going to offend 99% of your potential buyers/renters and the 1% that do like it won't have any money, credit, rental history, or job to support what you're offering.

If you're going to spend extra money make it appeal to everyone. Perhaps granite counters instead of formica, stainless appliances instead of white, upgraded carpet and pad, upgraded fixtures, patio/deck/awning, landscaping, the list goes on and on.

Do your absolute best to please the girlfriends and wives, they make the decisions. They also typically have a better eye for cleanliness, make it shine!

The most unique feature I've seen in a house was a bidet in one of the bathrooms, not even in the master bathroom if I remember correctly. Not a nice house, in fact it was a pretty bad neigborhood too.

User Stats

Votes
Mark B
  • Investor
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Aug 20 2010, 13:52

I dig 'em, but I am an architect and very open minded. I once had a high-end client that we designed a two toilet bathroom for... with a urinal too.

But for low or middle income, the urinal may be a turn-off. There can be a stigma attached. However they are much cleaner than toilets if being used by boys (and grown boys).

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Point. Click. Approved. Investor Focused Lender. Instant PreQual letters, Rapid Refinances, 13k+ 4.85 Star Reviews & $550 lender credit available now

User Stats

Votes
Greg G.
  • Southwest Michigan
Votes |
  • Southwest Michigan
Replied Aug 20 2010, 13:58

I should have added a smiley face to let you know I'm mostly joking about the idea of adding a urinal to a rental.

Andy, I'm sure it brought a smile to your face to be in the slums and walk in on a bidet. What were they thinking?!

Mark, you've actually put a urinal in for for someone! That's great. About how much would you guess it would cost for a DIY urinal?

User Stats

Votes
Vikram C.#5 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 20 2010, 15:20

Not sure about putting one in a middle-class home, but if you have a home designed for entertaining with a nice bar and if you have frequent parties, a urinal is a great idea for the bar's bathroom.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Kronowit
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Aug 20 2010, 15:26

They sell urinals at our local Lowes. I thought it would be a great addition for our LIVING ROOM!!! That way I wouldn't miss any TV while taking a break! ;-)

But the stone cold look on my wife's face scuttled that idea in a hurry. :-)

Account Closed
  • Landlord
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Landlord
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 20 2010, 15:46

A urinal might be a real conversation starter especially when you had your wife's friends and family over. Not sure I would ant to be around for the conversation though.

User Stats

Votes
Justin S.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Aug 20 2010, 15:57
I always thought it would be cool to install a urinal in my house.

It is good to know I'm not the only who thought about this idea.

Perhaps install in the garage next to the laser guided double compound mitre saw. I actually bought one of these for my buddy as a wedding gift. Then he moved to NY and he had me store it in my garage. That was five years ago. Best gift/re-gift ever!

User Stats

Votes
Greg G.
  • Southwest Michigan
Votes |
  • Southwest Michigan
Replied Aug 21 2010, 04:28

Mitch, that one got me. Too funny!

wheelhouse - It's kind of reassuring for me as well. After years of using public restrooms with urinals, the lightbulb comes on, I've never seen one in a home before. No issues about the seat being left up, it's all good.

Vikram/Charles - I agree, it actually could work when selling into the right market and it definately would be memorable. Maybe not for all the right reasons.... For instance, 10+ yrs ago while my wife and I were shopping for our first home together, we visited a house that had 3 very memorable traits:

1) The attached garage had been converted to a gigantic living room/man cave with the biggest TV I'd seen at the time, several couches, a pool table, dart board, foosball table, and a huge wood burning fireplace. The owner was laying on one of the couches watching a football game during our showing! :)

2) On the walls going up the stair way to the 2nd floor they had taken broken glass and embedded them into a layer of mortar in the walls. Bizarre and dangerous!

3) The owner had left a big ole #2 in upstairs bathroom.

Like I said, it definately left an impression!

User Stats

Votes
Sam M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Replied Aug 21 2010, 04:30

I'm not convinced they are any cleaner than a toilet. Have you been in a public bathroom lately......Yuk.....but then you are dealing with the general public who doesn't give a s......(pun intended)

Account Closed
  • OR
Votes |
  • OR
Replied Aug 21 2010, 06:50

Unique feature I'd like to put in a house: a nice fireplace in the master bath.

I've got a master bath big enough to add a wood stove to, but it has a walk in shower and no bath tub. No reason to have a fire in the fire place without a bathtub.

User Stats

Votes
Michael S.
  • Camden, NJ
Votes |
  • Camden, NJ
Replied Aug 21 2010, 08:24

a guy i know has a urinal in his home, when he asked me to sell it for him i suggested to him to remove it....he was dead set against it. he is one of those guy that starts a project and never finishes...fifty percent of the studs in the house are showing, he's late on his mortg etc...at one time he had a hot tub in his living room, one of those type of guys

User Stats

Votes
Uwe K.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Aug 21 2010, 13:04
Originally posted by Mitch Kronowit:
They sell urinals at our local Lowes. I thought it would be a great addition for our LIVING ROOM!!! That way I wouldn't miss any TV while taking a break! ;-)

But the stone cold look on my wife's face scuttled that idea in a hurry. :-)

Awesome idea :lol:
For the wife, just make sure you have plenty of those pinkish urinal stones n there, that should satisfy here. Maybe some colorful decals in the upper half or so...
Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Don Hines
  • Investor
  • Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Little Rock, AR
Replied Aug 23 2010, 02:11

About 25 years ago, I frequented a reasturant in Houston Tx that was already unique because it was one of the first Asian places that cooked at your table and made a show out of it. But, when the guys flushed the urinal in the reastroom, a video of a scantly clad young lady would pop up on a screen over it and tell you how nice it was that you would flush; along with some suggestions. I bet their water bill was sky high!!
Don

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy H.
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Aug 23 2010, 02:57

Installing a urinal in a lower / middle income home may result in what happened to that urinal in South Park.

Good luck plunging that!

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Treacy
  • Contractor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 26 2010, 11:41

Great idea for the pool house, keeps the water in the pool from turning yellow.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Sep 26 2010, 11:45
Originally posted by Dennis Treacy:
Great idea for the pool house, keeps the water in the pool from turning yellow.

How long has your top been down?

It's a month old

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 27 2010, 03:58
Unique feature I'd like to put in a house:a nice fireplace in the master bath.

My parents have one, and they live in the desert where you definitely don't need it- but they use it all the time. awesome feature.

Doesn't work with my current investments but I always thought that if I were to rehab and flip a nice house, I'd put in a built-in cappucino machine. Maybe its just me, but that would definitely get my attention.

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Sep 27 2010, 10:26
Originally posted by Misia Snyder:
Unique feature I'd like to put in a house:a nice fireplace in the master bath.

My parents have one, and they live in the desert where you definitely don't need it- but they use it all the time. awesome feature.

Doesn't work with my current investments but I always thought that if I were to rehab and flip a nice house, I'd put in a built-in cappucino machine. Maybe its just me, but that would definitely get my attention.

Hmmm? do your parents have a urinal and both of them use it, or did you switch to a fireplace that they both use and a built in cappucino machine, is that next to the urinal? What is cool is having a pool table in your master bathroom!

Anyway, going with all this, who is going to clean it and would you put an ash try next to it with a sign about your butts?

Getting later now, seems things are going down the drain now.