• Denver, CO
Votes |
Hoarder House before and after

Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Posted Feb 16 2015, 08:54

Easily the worst house I've ever been in.... I could only stand inside literally 5 seconds before running out. I couldnt get true before pics because I couldnt handle being inside, throat burned, eyes puffed up and turned red, I nearly burned my shoes after exiting. The mask helped but the real MVPs were the crew who worked on this for 8 weeks to trash out, gut then refinish it. I'm sure they are traumatized. 2 dead cats and 9 dumpsters later, we got it demo'd and then 25 gallons of Kilz Max sprayed on every surface.

Buy $110k
Fix $65k
ARV $220k

To go back in time, I would have postponed the foreclosure instead of rushing to close beforehand, then had some very ample support to get a short sale down to $60k or less. But, the homeowner was mentally distressed from living there for 40 years, and I dont think she could have cooperated with the short sale process. So, we didnt have much of a choice unfortunately. This was a preforeclosure door knocking lead we locked up on the 2nd meeting.

User Stats

Votes
Brent Fleeman
  • Investor
  • Ringgold, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ringgold, GA
Replied Feb 16 2015, 09:03

Very nice, turned out really good.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Lee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Gibsonia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Gibsonia, PA
Replied Feb 16 2015, 09:05

awesome before and after :) great job

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
David P.
  • Wholesaler
  • Westminster, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Westminster, CO
Replied Feb 16 2015, 09:10

Wow @Anson Young great job!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Baker
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Feb 16 2015, 09:10

Nice!  

User Stats

Votes
Steve Osowicz
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Feb 16 2015, 10:11

@Anson Young Nice job on the property, by the way that burning smell in your nostrils was just the smell of money.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Feb 16 2015, 10:17

Beautiful job! The ammonia smell in there must have been horrendous.

@Anson Young 

What happened to the lady and her surviving cats? We have two cats that came from a cat hoarder with 70 cats in Brooklyn. They were the last 2 out of the 70 caught :)

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 16 2015, 10:23

The lady's sister took all of them to the vet and then kept them.  We might have to contact her in 10 years when her house is now destroyed by 10 cats lol...

User Stats

Votes
Chaz Reid
  • Investor
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Feb 16 2015, 10:29

@Anson Young Motivating, inspirational, outstanding video man! Great job! 

User Stats

Votes
David Semer
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lincroft, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lincroft, NJ
Replied Feb 16 2015, 13:25

@Anson Young 

Awesome job.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like it will be the best house on the block.  Hope for a quick sale.  

User Stats

Votes
Brendan Spaar
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 16 2015, 13:51

You are a brave soul ! Too bad you couldn't have gotten a reality show to pick this up & pay for the cleanup. The commentary was great. Glad you have vision because the before is a real nightmare. Great job.

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Feb 16 2015, 13:51

Great work!!!!!

Not to try to get into a hoarder pissing contest, but check THIS baby out in Von Ormy TX. We bought this dump for $17k, cleaned it out, and resold it for over $30k to an investor. He is continuing the renovations and clean up and will resell it owner finance 5k down, for 900 per month. What a mess! But a great deal, 2.5 acres of junk. It filled 2 40 yard containers. 

User Stats

Votes
Marvin Dean
  • Miramar, FL
Votes |
  • Miramar, FL
Replied Feb 16 2015, 13:59

@Anson Young 

That is an awesome before and after. Thanks for the inspiration. All the best to you on this one but I'm sure you will have no problems getting it sold! Excellent!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Manteno, IL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Manteno, IL
Replied Feb 16 2015, 14:31

Hoarder houses must be in play this month. :-)

I just closed on last one. This guy had so much stuff in the rooms for so long that the floors gave way in two bedrooms and are pretty bad in the living room.

But this house is in one of the best subdivisions in town and looks fantastic on the outside. And its going to make for a great rental at 3/2, 2,000 sq ft.

My question for you (@Anson Young) is whether you had any issues with the floors on your hoarder house. And, if so, what kind of costs did you incur to fix them?

As it stands now, I'm guessing 40% of the joists and 60% of the subfloor need to be replaced.  Oh, and I have the added bonus of finding out that the gas meter and line were removed back in 2013 so now I'm going to have to wait for 6 weeks to get the gas meter installed so we can have heat.

Talk about starting off on the wrong foot.

The gas hadn't been paid at the house since 2010!   2010!!!!

And this is a 200k house......

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 16 2015, 14:38

No issues with the flooring other than cosmetic.  There wasnt a metric ton of heavy stuff, just a bunch of trash and gross stuff.  The last hoarder house before this we had that was compulsive stuff collecting was a slab foundation, so no issues with the flooring.  If it was a basement, it would have certainly has joist and subfloor issues.  This one we got lucky on, I thought we would have to tear out all of the hardwoods since they were just horrible looking, but we lucked out on that too.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Irons
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Replied Feb 16 2015, 14:39

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 17 2015, 13:59

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I wish I got better video (I was nearly running through the house the first time, to limit my exposure to whatever the heck was in there), had better during photos, and after.  You live and learn, right?!!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Howe
  • Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Feb 17 2015, 14:13

Great job @Anson Young ! I listened to your podcast and I remember you saying you knock on doors because not many investors do it. Glad to see you got another deal from knocking doors!

Do you simply buy a list of preforeclosures and visit each house one by one? What do you say to the homeowner's when they answer their door?

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 17 2015, 14:18
Originally posted by @Justin Howe:

Great job @Anson Young ! I listened to your podcast and I remember you saying you knock on doors because not many investors do it. Glad to see you got another deal from knocking doors!

Do you simply buy a list of preforeclosures and visit each house one by one? What do you say to the homeowner's when they answer their door?

Thanks Justin! 

I do get a list of pre-foreclosures, there is a local service that provides a bunch of information for each pre-foreclosure.  When I knock I just say:

"I dont know if my information is correct or current, but I see that there is a sale date of xx/xx for this home.  Do you have any current plans with the home?  Are you doing a loan mod?"

And then take it from there.  Its not easy to stand there and take the questions or sometimes abuse, you have to know the process and know their options and convey them to the homeowner in a way that makes sense to them.  After that its about building rapport and trust.  Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Keith Kessler
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OFallon, MO - Missouri
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • OFallon, MO - Missouri
Replied Feb 17 2015, 20:02

Big results are so rewarding, good job.

User Stats

Votes
Manolo D.#3 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 18 2015, 01:02

Jeez! Impressive job! The first thing that crossed my mind after the first few seconds is, oh this is going to be a tear-down project. haha.

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 18 2015, 05:30

Quick update, this went under contract yesterday for $235,000. Crazy market we are in.....

User Stats

Votes
Travis Hamilton
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Destin, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Destin, FL
Replied Feb 18 2015, 05:55

@Anson Young - that is awesome man!  Money in the pocket AND getting a great "new" house back into the Denver market for a new homeowner.  

Congratulations!  Makes me want to run out and find a hoarder house that I can buy :)

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Johnson
  • Project Engineer
  • Littleton, CO
Votes |
  • Project Engineer
  • Littleton, CO
Replied Feb 18 2015, 08:39

@Anson Young Congrats!!  Fantastic work.  The place looks great.  And congratulations on getting it under contract at that price as well.  This market is crazy indeed. 

User Stats

Votes
Lee L.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 18 2015, 09:12

Very impressive. So much so I shared it on my FB. Would love to do something like this sometime down the road. 

User Stats

Votes
Lee L.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 18 2015, 09:36

@Anson Young Did you buy this with no contingencies? I was looking at a hoarder house in L.A. a few months ago. But there was so much trash that it would have been impossible to do inspections.