Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Laura Au
Pro Member
Votes |
Fix N Flip to Fund Business

Laura Au
Pro Member
Posted Jul 22 2024, 23:21

Hello BP Community,

I am first time flipper looking to identify an out of state market to do my first flip to generate cash for investment business rather than the buy n hold strategy. Figure, do a few Fix n Flips, stack some cash, then BRRR.

I am looking into the following markets and would like to get feedback from seasoned investors/realtors/lenders/project managers regarding the market barometer is like. 

Here are the markets: Knoxville-TN, Huntsville/Montgomery/Tuscaloosa-AL, Asheville-NC, Akron-OH, Irving-TX, St. Louis-MO, Richmond-VA & Louisville-KY.

Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 05:34

Hi, yes, Ohio is on the move there are a lot of areas in Ohio that my clients/people/investors from all over the world are investing in real estate. You made a great decision when you chose Ohio. Come and check it out and thanks for reaching out if you have any questions! 

Best wishes! 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Kocent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 23 2024, 06:02

Hi Laura. I have heard many people investing from out of state in several OH markets. These include Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Columbus, Toledo, Dayton, and even more. Those markets in particular have the ability to cash flow and have a generally low barrier of entry. I know it wasn't on your list, but Pittsburgh, PA is also a great location to invest as it has very affordable options. I hope you get more feedback and ultimately find a market that suits your investment needs! 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Allen
Agent
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 07:16

Hi Laura, there are plenty of fix and flip opportunities here in the Columbus, Ohio market.

• Attorney

• 614-598-6589

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:30
Quote from @Laura Au:

Hello BP Community,

I am first time flipper looking to identify an out of state market to do my first flip to generate cash for investment business rather than the buy n hold strategy. Figure, do a few Fix n Flips, stack some cash, then BRRR.

I am looking into the following markets and would like to get feedback from seasoned investors/realtors/lenders/project managers regarding the market barometer is like. 

Here are the markets: Knoxville-TN, Huntsville/Montgomery/Tuscaloosa-AL, Asheville-NC, Akron-OH, Irving-TX, St. Louis-MO, Richmond-VA & Louisville-KY.

Thank you in advance!

Ohio Dawg.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 10:11

You can find some great flips in Dayton, and Columbus, OH. 

User Stats

Votes
Austin Jones
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Richmond VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Richmond VA
Replied Jul 23 2024, 13:31

Richmond has experienced steady growth, drawing people in with job opportunities. Its lower cost of living has generated strong housing demand due to its proximity to northern Virginia/DC. The city has diverse neighborhoods, ranging from historic homes to more affordable areas, catering to various investment strategies. Many investors have achieved excellent returns here, making Richmond a great place to build capital for future investments. If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out!

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 19:28
Quote from @Laura Au:

Hello BP Community,

Thank you in advance!

Hi Laura, a lot of my out-of-state clients are successfully BRRRRing and flipping here in Columbus OH. The macroeconomics here has been amazing - lots of job growth and population growth along with big companies moving and developing here (Intel, Google, FB, Amazon, etc.). I am an investor here myself and have done quite a lot of flips and BRRRRs that hit the 1% rule. You can still find deals here at super cheap price points - around $120k-$180k. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jul 24 2024, 01:01

@Laura Au

Knoxville, Huntsville/Montgomery/Tuscaloosa, Asheville, Akron, Irving, St. Louis, Richmond, and Louisville are markets with high growth potential, strong demand, and moderate entry costs. Huntsville has a growing population, strong job market, and moderate entry costs, while Asheville is popular for quality of life and arts.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 24 2024, 08:57
Quote from @Laura Au:

Hello BP Community,

Thank you in advance!

Hey! Congrats on your first flip!

Quick thoughts on the markets you're considering:

Knoxville, TN: Growing, affordable, and a strong university presence.
Huntsville/Montgomery/Tuscaloosa, AL: Huntsville's got tech, while Montgomery and Tuscaloosa have colleges.
Asheville, NC: Popular tourist spot, but competitive and pricey.
Akron, OH: Affordable, but keep an eye on the local economy.
Irving, TX: Part of DFW, so a big market, but prices are higher.
St. Louis, MO: Affordable, but research neighborhoods carefully.
Richmond, VA: Growing, with a strong job market.
Louisville, KY: Affordable, with gentrification potential.

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 24 2024, 15:36

Currently under contract in Tuscaloosa AL, and I know many doing it in the states you've mentioned. Honestly the easiest would be if you have a family member or a connection that can help you out in one of those spots. Otherwise, I would start off from the goal - since you're looking to BRRRR down the line, what is an area you'd like to hold the most in the long run? Then, look at price range and laws/regulations and that will boil things down a little.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Tusing
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jul 25 2024, 10:51

Richmond, VA continues to be a growing city with affordable homes. Investors are getting a great return on their flips. At the beginning July CNN named Richmond, Virginia as America's #1 city to visit - https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2024/travel/americas-best-to... 

Let me know if you have any further questions about Richmond as an investment location.