Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Heather Hall
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fallbrook, CA (San Diego area)
Votes |
Converting primary residence to STR due to neighbor noise

Heather Hall
Posted May 16 2024, 16:04

Hi Folks, I scoured the boards but could not find previous posts specific to this issue . . . We live in unincorporated San Diego county and we purchased our primary residence 3 years ago.  One year ago, a business owner purchased the land next to us and now operates firearms weekly, sometimes 15-20 hours per week of shooting.  Because of the location, this is permissible per county regulations, even though the residential neighbors are having a tough time with it.

So, we have to move and convert our home into a STR (we cannot sell the property because it is 2 homes and an elderly family member lives in the other home and cannot move). Has anyone dealt with noise like this near your Airbnb? Or a similar situation ? Any suggestions for how to talk to guests so they know what to expect but the property is still appealing ?

It is a gorgeous, rural property with incredible views . . . Very peaceful . . . When there is no shooting. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Grudzien
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Replied May 16 2024, 17:28

Heather,
New headline for your STR: "Awesome place for hearing impaired individuals"
That said, IMO every guest would complain, give you low ratings, etc.  It seems that this is literally a ticking time bomb with a known nuisance.   Have you considered LTR or maybe MTR (with explanations to the tenants)?
My 2 cents,
Mike

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 16 2024, 17:41

Is it a firing range that the public can use? If so, market the STR to shooting enthusiasts and hunters. Maybe set up a bow and arrow target in the backyard.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 16 2024, 18:07

If you hate living here due to the neighbor, you think you will have a thriving STR with excellent reviews?

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied May 16 2024, 18:38

I have 2 STRs in Pt Loma.  As you may know it is in the regular flight path.  The break in talking due to plane noise the locals refer to as the Pt Loma pause.  

We clearly indicate in our ads on the OTAs (airBnB, Vrbo, etc are OTAs) that there is plane noise.  So far the only bad review we have gotten due to it is from a guest who asked the PM company how bad it was and they indicated not that bad.  Guest considered it horrendous.  If someone asked me how bad it is, I would indicate different people have different levels of tolerance but the plane noise is loud enough to interrupt conversations.  

My fear with a shooting range is that it likely is much more persistent than plane noise and that you may have a low occupancy.  

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Heather Hall
Votes |
Replied May 16 2024, 18:51
Quote from @Dan H.:

I have 2 STRs in Pt Loma.  As you may know it is in the regular flight path.  The break in talking due to plane noise the locals refer to as the Pt Loma pause.  

We clearly indicate in our ads on the OTAs (airBnB, Vrbo, etc are OTAs) that there is plane noise.  So far the only bad review we have gotten due to it is from a guest who asked the PM company how bad it was and they indicated not that bad.  Guest considered it horrendous.  If someone asked me how bad it is, I would indicate different people have different levels of tolerance but the plane noise is loud enough to interrupt conversations.  

My fear with a shooting range is that it likely is much more persistent than plane noise and that you may have a low occupancy.  

Good luck

Thanks Dan- to clarify, it is outdoor horseback shooting and usually 2-3 hours at a time.  I definitely planned on being upfront and maybe even offering discounts.  Thanks for the input about emphasizing this to guests !

User Stats

Votes
Heather Hall
Votes |
Replied May 16 2024, 18:52
Quote from @John Underwood:

If you hate living here due to the neighbor, you think you will have a thriving STR with excellent reviews?

I hear you . . . It seems to bother me much more than other neighbors who say they just got used to it . . . But I just cannot.  

User Stats

Votes
Heather Hall
Votes |
Replied May 16 2024, 18:53
Quote from @Kristine Ann:

Is it a firing range that the public can use? If so, market the STR to shooting enthusiasts and hunters. Maybe set up a bow and arrow target in the backyard.

Look at you! That is super smart.  It is used in the rodeo community so I like that angle !

User Stats

Votes
Heather Hall
Votes |
Replied May 16 2024, 19:01
Quote from @Mike Grudzien:

Heather,
That said, IMO every guest would complain, give you low ratings, etc.  It seems that this is literally a ticking time bomb with a known nuisance.   Have you considered LTR or maybe MTR (with explanations to the tenants)?
My 2 cents,
Mike

Bless you for the sprinkling of humor, Mike. It is much appreciated.  I would love to make this a medium term rental if you have ideas . . . We are not near any hospitals for nurses, etc. 

Does that matter?  

Also, if this were you,as a guest would you feel better if there was a published shooting schedule?

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied May 16 2024, 19:02

Contact the neighbor, see of they are interested in buying with a lifetime rental agreement for the relative. Or if they have clients who would LOVE to rent right next door saving the trip and trailering of horses. You may find them excited about either option. Let me tell you. When the National rodeo comes to Vegas those people have money and their horses are closer to family members a most people’s dogs. 

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 16 2024, 19:07

Thanks @Heather Hall  It's the same painting...you just needed a different frame. I love coming up with brainstorms like that.

If you can make nice with those neighbors and let them know you'll send the STR guests to them to book an experience it's win-win. You could also make contacts with a local horseback riding place that offer lessons to see if you could refer guests for an experience. There might be other experiences you could market and refer your STR guests to, like rustic BBQ joints, a local brewery, and places with live country music.

There is actually an option on airbnb where people can search experiences.  I'm not sure how to use it yet but it might be useful in your situation.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 16 2024, 19:41

I lived in N AZ near a world famous firearms academy. I was full every week with STR Guests using the facilities. Make this negative a positive

I used to live in Lakeside, where are you? Out by Jamul?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 17 2024, 03:06

After 8 years in the Army Infantry Im sure I would sleep just fine, but your guests not so much.  Unfortunately if you cannot stop it I am thinking LTR or sell

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 18 2024, 10:28
Quote from @Mike Grudzien:

Heather,
My 2 cents,
Mike

Absolutely love the headline! ;D

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 18 2024, 10:31

The idea others came up with to market the STR to gun or hunter enthusiasts, is your best option as a STR. And good chance you'll make a pretty good go of it, so long as you tailor and market the property to that specific group of people. All other options especially nurses on weird sleeping schedules due to their shifts, is going to be a nightmare with all the noise complaints!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Grudzien
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Replied May 18 2024, 11:09

Thank you for your vote, Sarah!