Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Gopar
Votes |
Creating a lease agreement for Airbnb and short-term rental hosts

Daniel Gopar
Posted

TLDR: I'm a buy and hold investor. I have a unit I'm interested in renting out specifically to people looking to do rental arbitrage. What should I included in my lease to make it fair on both ends?

Long Version:

I have a 2bd/1bth on a desirable part of town that I think would do good as a short term rental. Unfortunately, I have no desire/interest in doing this myself since I am focusing all my efforts in getting my new business off the ground and running. (Business is in creating software and am confident I can make more than a W2 would). I would like to know if any landlords here rent out to people who do rental arbitrage, and if so, what do you include in your lease?

I haven't heard much around this topic from the Landlords point of view, only from the people who are doing it. I have heard things like:

- Tenant will be responsible of repairs up to a certain amount per month, and if it exceeds that, then landlord will step in.

- Higher security deposit amount

- Include in lease that noise monitor is required and should be enforced

- Include that tenant must have additional insurance/protection.

What else should I include? I want to be fair for both parties. Thank You!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hi! Im a PM in Tampa, FL with 80 or so units.  I have also arbitraged (before I think that word existed in conjunction with the word rental).  I am curious why you do not pay a designer to furnish and and then find a full service PM to manage? Most of our clients are out of state and we do everything so their lift is minimal.

If you still opt for arbitrage, I think the terms you laid out are standard and should be agreeable.  The amounts will be negotiable of course but I think you are on the right track there.

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied

Why not just STR it yourself?

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied

What is the additional tenant insurance/protection?  I would think that would limit a majority of potential renters and make it less desirable to an arbitrager.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied

Higher rent, higher deposit, profit sharing above a certain amount.  After all its your property.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

Hey @Daniel Gopar, I echo what @John Underwood said.

I would charge a premium above market rate. What that would be is up to you.

One thing I would add would be that the arbitrager would have to adhere to any and all city ordinances. One of those is a maximum 8 guests.

I would also be ready to move stuff out if the person fails at this job. STRs can be challenging and many new arbitrage people don't have any money so if things get dicey, the are apt to walk away from the lease.

I would verify what kind of funds that possible person has. Are they nearly broke?