Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Scott Williams
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
Moving away from my NYC property, but need a "Managing Agent".

Scott Williams
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Posted

For those of you not familiar with owning property in New York City, if You own a building with 3 or more units it must be registered with the city and you have to provide contact information for someone that actually lives in the city. This person, if not the owner" is call the Managing Agent.

I find myself moving away from NYC, but am not sure what to do about finding a Managing Agent. I'm looking to the forums for advise or ideas. I've found property managers very scarce here, I haven't actually found one yet. I've heard they exist and may charge upwards of 20% (may or may not be true). I don't need anyone to manage the property. I just need someone to satisfy this city requirement of having a Managing Agent.

I know there's alot of snowbirds out there that live in Florida or other places, but own property here. What does one do when they're not big enough to have a Superintendent, but  just big enough to have to register with the city?

I look forward to discussing this with everyone. Thank you in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Elan Kels
  • Flushing, NY
Votes |
  • Flushing, NY
Replied

Hey I have a solution. Please pm me

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied

Hi @Scott Williams how big is the property? I have someone that may work for you.  They manage 8+ properties in the 5 boroughs.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Williams
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied

Hi @Scott Wolf. It's a 3 unit in Brownsville, Brooklyn

User Stats

Votes
Hamish Odiean Jr
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied
Scott, how long have you owned the property and how long have your current tenants been renting from you?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Williams
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied

Hi Hamish. Thank you for your questions, but I think they are irrelevant for my topic. It's great cash flow and I'm not getting rid of the building anytime soon.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied

@Scott Williams Unfortunately, that's too small for my connection.  Best of luck in this and the move!

User Stats

Votes
Laura Moreno
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

Hey Scott, 

Best of luck finding a property manager or managing agent in the area. I am interested in investing in Brownsville. How was your experience? Do you have an agent you could recommend?

I would love to take you out for a coffee. Do you still live in NYC.

All the best and have a great day!

Laura

User Stats

Votes
Michael G.
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

Would the people on this thread mind if I drew your attention to this related thread?

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/721/topics/456718-brooklyn-landlords-want-to-share-a-part-time-roaming-super

We're also seeking to share a part-time as-needed roaming "Super" in the Brooklyn Area so it might be a good fit or a win-win for all!

Thanks!

BR

User Stats

Votes
Michael G.
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

BP moved my thread for some reason. Please now use  THIS URL: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/721/topics/45...

User Stats

Votes
Nishbell McNamee
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

Hi Scott, 

My name is Nishbell and I run a small PM company in Brooklyn mainly for homeowners. Where's your property located?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Williams
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied
Originally posted by @Nishbell McNamee:

Hi Scott, 

My name is Nishbell and I run a small PM company in Brooklyn mainly for homeowners. Where's your property located?

Hi Nishbell. The property is in Brownsville. Im happy to talk with you about it. Please PM me.

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied

Scott Williams I had three managing agents in 10 years. 3 family in bed stuy. My agent was always the tenant on the first floor. Some would shovel, sweep, tend to leaks and even paint. Others would do nothing and I had to outsource all of that. I typically gave a 200 a month rent discount for this service. The tenants that did less i would drop the discount to 100. There were hiccups but it worked and I saved more than 100k over PM.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Rodriguez
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied

@Scott Williams did you find a managing agent for your property?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Williams
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied

Hii @Christopher Rodriguez. I have not yet found a managing agent. I will consider building this function into whomever I rent the first floor unit to. I've received some good examples from others here on BP. Thank you again to all of you. I don't like the idea of having to give a percentage of the rents to someone for doing almost nothing with the property. Please let me know your thoughts if you like. I'm always open to new opinions and info.

Thank you for the question.

Scott

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied

Scott Williams how many units are vacant? I used to lease most of my Apt's to a short term rental company. They would in turn furnish and sublease out the pats on short term rentals. The term was always greater than 30 days to avoid running afoul of the law. They paid market rent or a bit better but the best part was they would manage the property as part of their business. All leaks, complaints, snow, garbage, paint was taken care of.

I'm not sure how far they would go into east NY and they like at least 2 units in a building.