Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • Rental Property Investor
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Boring Buy and Hold Investors

Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Posted Aug 2 2024, 04:09

Where are all my boring investors at? Does anyone else prefer good old buy-and-hold long-term rentals?

20-25% down, duplex, break even on cashflow in a promising area. That's what gets me excited. 

I've done major rehabs, owner financing, private money, partners, out-of-state investing, and Airbnb but still prefer the good ole long-term buy and hold. Even though they make less on paper. 

Am I the only one? 

User Stats

Votes
Rene Hosman
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorReplied Aug 2 2024, 11:14

Yes, this!!! I purchase as primary residence, and then move and rent when I have a new downpayment saved. Not trying to make myself a new job, just want to be able to have the stability and retirement option.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Aug 2 2024, 11:30

@Rene Hosman I almost feel like we need a support group...

"Hi my name is Greg. I've been buying and holding investments for 6 years. Lately I've been tempted to flip but I keep reminding myself that steady cashflow in a strong market will ensure a comfortable retirement and will help put the kids through college" haha

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 2 2024, 11:48
Quote from @Gregory Schwartz:

Where are all my boring investors at? Does anyone else prefer good old buy-and-hold long-term rentals?

20-25% down, duplex, break even on cashflow in a promising area. That's what gets me excited. 

I've done major rehabs, owner financing, private money, partners, out-of-state investing, and Airbnb but still prefer the good ole long-term buy and hold. Even though they make less on paper. 

Am I the only one? 

As I like to say, you all can go on the roller coasters while you will find me in the lazy river. That is how I also like my assets. No roller coasters anymore, give me the lazy river

User Stats

Votes
Rene Hosman
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorReplied Aug 2 2024, 12:04

@Gregory Schwartz I'll bring the stale donuts 🤣

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 2 2024, 16:43

@Gregory Schwartz Me too. Am now working with some creative financing to solidify the reserves for my newest purchase. I’ve got the down payment and closing costs but am needing reserves.

This strategy has served me well for all my purchases.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 4 2024, 10:57

Buy and Hold may be boring, but it beats the endless worries of many of the other strategies for me. Buy and hold works and has successfully built what my wife and I need to live and retire on. Flipping always seemed more risky and STR is riskier as well though it can be more profitable it can lead to serious losses. I will stick with boring.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Aug 4 2024, 11:02

The silent majority. This is all I do. I buy consistently, but not aggressively. One small multi at a time. 

Low leverage, let time and inflation work their long term magic, keep the units occupied as much as possible. 

So simple, so hard to just… sacrifice to accumulate the cash, and sacrifice the ego to not chase the huge portfolios and massive leverage that can leave you at the mercy of the near-term market.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State
Votes |
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State
Replied Aug 4 2024, 11:06

Yes sir. I see the rentals as wealth building and flipping/development as a job (with ordinary tax structure). Love the buy and holds.  It's a "Get Rich Slow Scheme"!

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Aug 5 2024, 03:55

I got sexy with real estate, once.

I put a classic remodeled Airstream in my backyard. In total, we had about $75k in that project. Posted it on Airbnb and started hosting. That was shut down by my neighborhood with in months and I ended up selling for around $50k.

Huge failure that was offset by the appreciation of my fourplex. A fourplex full of long-term renters. 

Tried, tested and reliable. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gerakos
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Aug 5 2024, 06:52

Boring buy and hold has served me well……

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Votes |
Travis Timmons#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Replied Aug 5 2024, 07:01

Slow and steady still wins the race.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Aug 5 2024, 07:05

Nothing wrong with buy and hold. That's what I do.  There are lots of ways to invest in real estate each with pros and cons.  Find what works for you and don't worry about what others think.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 5 2024, 08:30
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Nothing wrong with buy and hold. That's what I do.  There are lots of ways to invest in real estate each with pros and cons.  Find what works for you and don't worry about what others think.

Absolutely agree.  Finding what works for you is the best advice anyone can give.  Every market is different, skills are different, location matters, proper due diligence matters and your individual lifestyle even matters.

There are millionaires who live very humble lives and you would never know they were wealthy.  Lifestyle matters in any financial decision.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 03:11

I do the standard buy and hold but the property has to be bought at a discount - 85% of ARV is my maximum - including purchase price and rehab. Typically I like to be a little lower, but for an awesome property in an awesome location I can go up that high.

I like it because it's relatively simple and repeatable. Also less risky - the gains may not be as high but the losses also shouldn't be as bad if things go south. 

BRRRR has gotten too hard to do and the money is tied up too long. I essentially try to buy a BRRRR type property and fix it up but never refi. So I'm in 20% down on the purchase price, plus the rehab costs (I only do cosmetic rehabs) - and I just never refi. So I take the equity gain on paper then rent it out.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Aug 6 2024, 04:24

@Jeremy H. This reminded me of my strategy, "The lazy / Slow BRRRR". If I can refinance most of my money out in 5 years or less that's a huge win in my book. My goal is to avoid major rehabs which for me lowers risk.

User Stats

Votes
Mark F.
  • Bergen County, NJ
Votes |
  • Bergen County, NJ
Replied Aug 6 2024, 08:08
Member #259 of the boring buy and hold strategy. Three house hacks and on to the 4th hopefully this year using 20%-25% for the next. I may get crazy in a number of years and buy a second home and airbnb sometimes to help the mortgage but buy and holds have changed my life. No flips or wholesaling for me.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Aug 6 2024, 08:15

Am I the only one? 

I was doing that strategy for quite a while and still do. Lately, I have rehabbed 2 properties to increase the LTRs by a lot. So far so good! I have also got into lending as well. I haven't done a flip yet but I am open to it. LTR buy and hold has served me very well and I think a good basis in RE for most people

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied Aug 6 2024, 08:25

@Ray Hage I'll be honest I do rehab some of my units but the goal is cosmetic upgrades, nothing fancy. Usually, we can get this done in just a few weeks. Reface cabinets, new countertops, glue down flooring and fresh paint. This helps drive rents by 20-30% making it worth the effort. 

I opened the walls up once. Dont plan on doing it again haha 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Aug 6 2024, 08:40

Yep it’s a pain in the butt but well worth it. I had to redo the bathrooms as well and dealing with old crappy plumbing was not fun. Took a bit longer than expected. Frankly I hate plumbing now lol

User Stats

Votes
Karl B.
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Erie, PA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 08:41

Buy-and-hold is the way I do it. I love the way the tax code caters to us (depreciation is so awesome!) and appreciation is simply the cherry on top!

Also, pretty much every time someone moves out I put someone else in at a higher rent! 

User Stats

Votes
Hanh Hoang
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles CA
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles CA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 09:50

I am quietly trying to buy another 4-6 of these in the high desert area of southern california in the next 10 years.  I hope to have 10 properties ( i am currently at 4) and at the age of 41...... by the time I am 50 years old and spend the age 50-60 trying to pay them down aggressively.  Because the cost of repairs is so high I do need to pencil in $300-$500 in positive cash flow for repairs which will come up yearly.  

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 13:09

It's all I do my man! And it's been pretty great for me :)

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 13:10

Patience is KEY!

User Stats

Votes
Rob K.#4 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Encinitas, CA
Votes |
  • Encinitas, CA
Replied Aug 6 2024, 13:46

Yeah, I'm a buy and holder. Some have called me a property hoarder.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 6 2024, 14:04

Am I the only one? 

Well, the smart thing to do is both. Have rentals and also flip. The biggest mistake of my life was not keeping 50 or so more of the 500ish I flipped, MASSIVE mistake. Wealth is built not flipped. 

BTW I would never buy a property that does not cash flow less then 15% . All mine avg 15- 25% NET per year, based on cash purchase. If you are 100% counting on appreciation, well, that does not sit well with me, NOT saying its wrong just not for me. I like a check the following month after I close. 

All the best