Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dan McGrew
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Prospective tenant says 3x income requirement is not legal

Dan McGrew
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Jul 27 2024, 17:06

Had a prospective tenant share the article below. This seems bogus but wanted to see if others had similar thoughts:

https://boundlessestates.com/new-law-starting-july-1st-landl...

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jul 27 2024, 17:19
Quote from @Dan McGrew:

Had a prospective tenant share the article below. This seems bogus but wanted to see if others had similar thoughts:

Well first are you in California? That article references California.

2nd, I believe it's a misinterpretation of the new California security deposit law which limits security deposits to 1 months rent. So previously if someone needed 2 months security deposit, plus the 1st months rent, they would need 3 months rent to move in. This is completely different from needing to make 3x the monthly rent in income to qualify.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 27 2024, 19:22

I can't speak to whether it is legal or not illegal (very different), but as Russell said it refers to California.  The article does say " Alternative Assessment Methods: Consider looking at a potential tenant’s credit score, rental history, and references. These can give you a good idea of whether they will be reliable and responsible."  So you can find out what they were paying for rent previously, if it was paid on time and go from there.  

For some people it comes down to spending-some people can make 3x their rent and still be short money, others could make 2x their rent and always pay on time.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jul 28 2024, 07:10

@Dan McGrew so in Virginia, for example, source of funds protection means that if they have a voucher or funds come from something else besides employment, you can’t say 3x income for whole amount. More states are changing their laws to accommodate assistance programs. We used to just say we no longer participate in Section 8 program but new laws eliminate that option.

User Stats

Votes
Dan McGrew
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 28 2024, 07:19
Quote from @Dan McGrew:

Thanks Russell. Where did you see it only applies to California? The start of the article says it’s coming to rental markets across the country. I read it again and didn’t see it mention California anywhere. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jul 28 2024, 07:40
Quote from @Dan McGrew:
Quote from @Dan McGrew:

Thanks Russell. Where did you see it only applies to California? The start of the article says it’s coming to rental markets across the country. I read it again and didn’t see it mention California anywhere. 
It was legit the first sentence in the article...and the article as been now changed I kid you not. 

Yeah that article is trolling people. There's absolutely not any federal level housing law on this. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan McGrew
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 28 2024, 07:45

Thanks Russell! That’s what I thought. Pretty silly. 

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 28 2024, 07:48

@Dan McGrew

No offense, but I think you're just too gullible for real estate. You should accept it and move on. I have been both formally diagnosed and medicated in the past for paranoia, and I feel I'M BARELY PARANOID ENOUGH for real estate.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Jul 28 2024, 08:50
Quote from @Lynn McGeein:

@Dan McGrew so in Virginia, for example, source of funds protection means that if they have a voucher or funds come from something else besides employment, you can’t say 3x income for whole amount. More states are changing their laws to accommodate assistance programs. We used to just say we no longer participate in Section 8 program but new laws eliminate that option.

what I have done with the few rentals i have ( which are A class new builds) we have a fico score requirement of 720.  that seems to work for us.. very few if any folks on public assistance or other means have those type of credit scores. takes us a month or two to find a suitable tenant.  Can you do that in Virginia ?

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 28 2024, 08:59
Quote from @Russell Brazil:
Quote from @Dan McGrew:
Quote from @Dan McGrew:

It was legit the first sentence in the article...and the article as been now changed I kid you not. 

Yeah that article is trolling people. There's absolutely not any federal level housing law on this. 

I read the same are Russell-so they have changed the article from California to the entire country.  Goes to emphasize, not to believe what you read online-go to the state website and see if changes are coming...I doubt it.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Jul 28 2024, 10:03
There is no federal rule disallowing an income requirement as a multiple of rent and the state of Ohio allows this as does Akron and all surrounding cities where I operate.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jul 28 2024, 10:59
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
Quote from @Lynn McGeein:

what I have done with the few rentals i have ( which are A class new builds) we have a fico score requirement of 720.  that seems to work for us.. very few if any folks on public assistance or other means have those type of credit scores. takes us a month or two to find a suitable tenant.  Can you do that in Virginia ?

Yes, I have other "typical qualifications" that applicants must meet, just the 3x income issue is problematic.  I also have updated my application with a section where they can address variances to my "typical qualifications," where they can explain things like an old criminal background record (still states absolutely no evictions) or a divorce that wrecked their credit score.  Haven't been legally challenged on it yet, so no idea how legit it is, but seems to have worked well. I've approved one with a medical judgment, so far, so good, and I've allowed a co-signer where a divorce wrecked their credit.  Otherwise, haven't had to stray from my requirements.  

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jul 28 2024, 19:02
Quote from @Dan McGrew:

I'd just ignore the tenant and move on to another one.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jul 29 2024, 07:42

I've seen several versions of this article. I haven't found anything on a credible source and I also haven't seen much chatter about it in the real estate world which lead me to believe it's probably not true. 

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling
Agent
#1 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Agent
#1 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jul 29 2024, 07:55

Income requirements in underwriting a lease is NOT a housing item, it's Commerce. 

So, to ban this, is to ban the measure for underwriting. 

Do you see anyone given an auto loan, mortgage, boat, without confirming financial viability to perform on the conveyed financial burden? 

It's funny how nobody demands regulation to make Escalades more affordable....... 

User Stats

Votes
John Clark#5 Wholesaling Contributor
Votes |
Replied Jul 29 2024, 07:56

Some localities have anti 3x laws ( Cook county Illinois? Chicago?) or have considered them. 

Being fiscally sane is not needed to get elected.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 29 2024, 07:56

I am in Chicago and my brokerage manages over 1300 units in area. The only time you can't require a specific 2x or 3x income is if the renter uses subsidized vouchers. Then you need to qualify off their out of pocket portion ratio/their credit, you can also ask for past landlord references, etc. If you don't want a subsidized tenant they can usually be legally denied by credit.

P.S. For ratios in Chicago on my own units I just go off 2.5x+ and have never had to give a late fee or any issues on the north side units. I also require 2 past landlord references which I call and make sure these are easy going trouble free tenants before signing. The calls are huge and if any pushback on giving me the past landlord contacts I deny them. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jul 29 2024, 08:31

@Dan McGrew every now and then when I advertise a unit I get an email similar to this saying a requirement is illegal, and it is not.  Keep track of your local laws and just ignore these people.  If an actual tenant tells you something that impacts them directly you can explain it to them but I haven't had that happen.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 30 2024, 06:50

Hey @Dan McGrew - That article looked spamming the second I opened it up!  

I suggest talking to other landlords in your area or up-to-date on the current landlord tenant ordinances

Here in Chicago (Illinois) there is no limitation on income stipulations for screening and as other said, there’s no federal stipulation either.

Like @James Wise, I would move onto the next tenant without blinking an eye!