Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brad Tracy
Votes |
Will adding Mother-in-law suite retain value

Brad Tracy
Posted Jun 16 2024, 08:00

I am in a position where adding a mother-in-law suite to my primary residence in the Pickerington area seems very likely. I have attempted to find comps in the area and have not found any, I am wondering if that's because it's a bad idea. If there is anyone with experience in the area with any input for me on how an ADU will affect the property's value and ability to sell that be appreciated! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jun 16 2024, 10:07
Quote from @Brad Tracy:

I am in a position where adding a mother-in-law suite to my primary residence in the Pickerington area seems very likely. I have attempted to find comps in the area and have not found any, I am wondering if that's because it's a bad idea. If there is anyone with experience in the area with any input for me on how an ADU will affect the property's value and ability to sell that be appreciated! Thanks!

My market is southern Ca which is very different than Columbus but I suspect is similar behavior on adding an ADU.

An ADU addition in a SFH zoned area in my market adds significantly less value than the hands of cost of adding the ADU. There are various reasons. Some include 1) there are many more owner occupied home buyers than investor RE purchasers 2) adding small units in small counts is the most expensive development 3) it detracts something from the primary even if it is just yard.

Assuming your market is similar, I would add an ADU not primarily as an investment. If you have elderly parents and want them close to you but having their own space. Similar for adult children still finding their way. These are great reasons to add an ADU even if it is not a great investment.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 16 2024, 11:50

Like @Dan H. says, there's usually not a great deal of return on an ADU. Add one if you need it, but otherwise, if you are looking for ROI, there are better ways to do it. I'd rather use the money to buy another property(s).....

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Replied Jun 16 2024, 20:10

@Brad Tracy The most recent estimate I got to renovate an existing space to a studio apartment was $120K. The return on the investment made it a foolish option.

I think in most markets adding an ADU simply as an investment is a bad option. There are some markets that it makes since like in California or where there are higher rents.

As others said if you have a personal use for it then do it. Otherwise consider spending your money buying an additional property.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 17 2024, 07:09
Quote from @Brad Tracy:

In general, adding a mother-in-law suite is not going cost more to do than the value it will add to your home in Ohio

User Stats

Votes
Brad Tracy
Votes |
Replied Jun 17 2024, 11:21

Thanks Remington. Your answer seems to counter other comments. Being local to Ohio, I'll assume your more familiar with the market and that maybe the ROI won't be great but I may at least recoup the investment? As this isn't an ROI move but a family benefit that sounds great.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 18 2024, 06:49
Quote from @Brad Tracy:

Thanks Remington. Your answer seems to counter other comments. Being local to Ohio, I'll assume your more familiar with the market and that maybe the ROI won't be great but I may at least recoup the investment? As this isn't an ROI move but a family benefit that sounds great.

My thoughts are in line with the others. I would do it if it is going to make your life more enjoyable. I do not think you are going to recoup the investment from a monetary investment

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Waters
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 24 2024, 07:08

I love the ADU play. It just increase different RE strategies you can take advantage of and it always adds value! But it has to be in line with your market and some demands. For example, I added an ADU and decided to furnish the unit and target traveling nurses. It does amazing because there's good demand in that area with 3 large, very nice hospitals close by. Check out furnished finders to see if there's any active comps and what they are looking to get in your area.

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jun 24 2024, 09:21
Quote from @Bryan Waters:

I love the ADU play. It just increase different RE strategies you can take advantage of and it always adds value! But it has to be in line with your market and some demands. For example, I added an ADU and decided to furnish the unit and target traveling nurses. It does amazing because there's good demand in that area with 3 large, very nice hospitals close by. Check out furnished finders to see if there's any active comps and what they are looking to get in your area.

>it always adds value

Have you received an appraisal that reflects this? In general, in most markets they add many thousands less than the hands off costs to add the ADU. I would be surprised if this is not the case in the low cost Midwest market.

Add in that money goes out many months before any generated income, the worse financing options versus purchase financing, the detraction of something (even if it is just yard space) from the primary unit, the work involved even hands off is at least as high as a BRRRR but a brrrr can provide an infinite return.

In general it is much better to purchase a property with an ADU. The buyer had someone else pay more to build it than the value added, they had someone else do the associated work, they can get home purchase financing, they do not need to wait months for the ADU to be constructed.

Best wishes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Jun 24 2024, 13:26

Generally adding an ADU isn't worth it but the exception would be in high-density areas with housing crises'. These cities are usually anti-landlord but they made this one exception. And given how high demand is there, I think those areas can (sometimes) make sense to build ADUs or mother-in-law units.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 10 2024, 09:32
Quote from @Brad Tracy:

Hi Brad! Did you make sure to reach out to the permit and zoning office to make sure you'll be able to follow all the rules and the mother in law suite will work for your location? I would recommend making sure to ask your realtor about other nearby comps and see if they have ADUs. If not, then probably not the best ROI.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 11 2024, 08:26
Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

Generally adding an ADU isn't worth it but the exception would be in high-density areas with housing crises'. These cities are usually anti-landlord but they made this one exception. And given how high demand is there, I think those areas can (sometimes) make sense to build ADUs or mother-in-law units. 

I agree....but the OP should still bear in mind that these Blue cities will still have very tenant-friendly laws in place, so that should be weighed into the decision as well....IMHO.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Jul 11 2024, 13:27
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

I agree....but the OP should still bear in mind that these Blue cities will still have very tenant-friendly laws in place, so that should be weighed into the decision as well....IMHO.
Definitely true, although I guess I could note there is one other good thing about blue cities and that is that they make it very difficult to build and thereby prices for existing buildings tend to rise as do rents (which ironically makes them less affordable and want to pass more arduous anti-landlord laws). 
Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.