General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Delaney Bantol
Votes |
Columbus OH Apartment Investing

Delaney Bantol
Posted May 23 2024, 17:13

I am looking to invest in apartment units 12 - 26 in OH and I am from out of state? Any recommendations?

User Stats

Votes
Simon W.
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Replied May 23 2024, 22:06

recommendations to what?

User Stats

Votes
Delaney Bantol
Votes |
Replied May 24 2024, 00:17

What area to look at and what to avoid. 

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Zac Mckenzie
  • Contractor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 24 2024, 02:23

HI Delaney, a lot of people will say to be carful in the Hilltop and South Linden areas of Columbus because of crime and other negative variables. On the other hand these are also where you might find your deepest buys so it really just depends on your personal strategy and buy box, many investors are having success in these areas. Your desired unit count might narrow your search enough to evaluate everything coming your way. Best of luck

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied May 24 2024, 05:04

@Delaney Bantol
In Columbus, I recommend areas like Hilltop, Linden, Eastmoor/ Whitehall, and Franklinton. These are areas where you can cash flow in Columbus because the rent-to-price ratio is favorable. Out of these areas, Franklinton and Linden are seeing some of the most developments. With things like the ONE Linden plan in Linden, which is a 50M plan to improve the neighborhood. Of that 50M, 25M was allocated for the construction of a new recreational faculty that has since been completed. Franklinton has been seeing lots of developments like the completion of Gravity Phase 1 and phases 2 and 3 on the way. As well as coffee shops like Bottoms Up Coffee are moving in and small microbreweries like brew dog and Land Grant.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 24 2024, 07:10

I would focus on areas up north like Linden and areas on the west side of Columbus, like Franklinton and Hilltop.

Linden is seeing a large amount of investment activity within residential 1-4 unit properties and newly developed facilities, which were ignited by the ONE Linden Plan. With new construction and renovations going on, on almost every block.

In Franklinton there are plenty of large projects going on that will bring massive growth to the west side of Columbus, such as the Peninsula Development, which is a multiphase project that will erect a 24 story apartment complex featuring a grocery store, a multi use office space building, and a new hotel featuring a two-story Pins Mechanical venue.

User Stats

Votes
Delaney Bantol
Votes |
Replied May 24 2024, 07:26
Quote from @Zac Mckenzie:

HI Delaney, a lot of people will say to be carful in the Hilltop and South Linden areas of Columbus because of crime and other negative variables. On the other hand these are also where you might find your deepest buys so it really just depends on your personal strategy and buy box, many investors are having success in these areas. Your desired unit count might narrow your search enough to evaluate everything coming your way. Best of luck

User Stats

Votes
Delaney Bantol
Votes |
Replied May 24 2024, 07:28

Zac thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it. 

User Stats

Votes
Delaney Bantol
Votes |
Replied May 24 2024, 07:30

@Patrick Drury, thank you. I will be looking more into these area. 

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 24 2024, 11:35
Quote from @Delaney Bantol:

I am looking to invest in apartment units 12 - 26 in OH and I am from out of state? Any recommendations?

I recommend you get with someone that finds deals like this in Ohio. They can be found all over the state.

The biggest hurdle you will face is financing and supply of deals

I own a 24 and 12 unit here in Columbus, Ohio. Happy to chat with you about my experiences

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 25 2024, 18:00

build don't' buy. 43203, 43205, 43206, 43207, 43223, 43222. new construction is selling at a premium by 30% to existing inventory, land is in better locations. infill lots for single family or 3 family is what we do I have a million posts in the marketplace about it. most of those are adjacent downtown zip codes in columbus where there is existing inventory. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 25 2024, 18:02

anyone saying any areas than what we said is doing so because that is where the inventory is that they can sell as an agent. we only look at 7 zip codes out of ohio which has 440 and all are where property values and rents are the highest and new construction sells the highest. 

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 30 2024, 09:43

Lots of great multifamily deals that meet the 1% rule around the Linden and Hilltop area! I can definitely tell you there's still a lot of positive cash flowing and 1% rule deals and you get amazing appreciation. As an investor and agent here in Columbus Ohio, if you have any questions or want to connect, definitely reach out!

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Point. Click. Approved. Investor Focused Lender. Instant PreQual letters, Rapid Refinances, 13k+ 4.85 Star Reviews & $550 lender credit available now

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Waters
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 14 2024, 07:32

Hi @Delaney Bantol. I'd like to connect to learn about your goals and the MF complex you're looking for. We manage a few MF complexes ranging from 8 to 24 units. We are a full service, higher standard PM company for Intentional Investors looking to hold their investment properties long term just in the Columbus area. I sent you a DM.