Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Pradeep Roy
Votes |
General Contractor advice needed!!!!!

Pradeep Roy
Posted May 11 2024, 20:39

Hello,

I am an out of state investor interested in memphis. I buy properties from turnkey companies and also from the MLS and give it to PM folks.

Lately I am noticing that in the houses that I have purchased there are issues that have surfaced which could have been handled in a better way when the property was bought itself. So I am seeking a general contractor contact who I could use as a guide to tell me the state of the pending fixes which are must DO before I buy the property. I would like to compensate the general contractor for the advice. Please let me know of any contacts that you might have at your disposal. I get an excellent hosue inspection report and I would like the GC to tell me the ones which are an aboslute must fix before I buy. This will save me some money in the longer run.

User Stats

Votes
Shervin Golgiri
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Replied May 11 2024, 21:30

Might not be a bad idea to get a home inspection done. first you need to know the exact condition of house, then you run it with someone who has the  knowledge and eye to give you the right advices.

User Stats

Votes
Pradeep Roy
Votes |
Replied May 11 2024, 22:03
Quote from @Shervin Golgiri:

Might not be a bad idea to get a home inspection done. first you need to know the exact condition of house, then you run it with someone who has the  knowledge and eye to give you the right advices.

Hey thank you for the reply. I have an excellent inspection agent who finds every issue in all nook and corners. I  need a GC to educate me as to which issues are a must fix to rent a property. This is where i need help!
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Shervin Golgiri
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Union city
Replied May 11 2024, 22:08
Quote from @Pradeep Roy:
Quote from @Shervin Golgiri:

Hey thank you for the reply. I have an excellent inspection agent who finds every issue in all nook and corners. I  need a GC to educate me as to which issues are a must fix to rent a property. This is where i need help!

Thats great, If you share inspection report and mls number, I be happy to help you with the suggestion and recommendation.   

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied May 12 2024, 03:27

I hear what your saying but I would avoid any contractor that accepts payment for advice. I have been working with contractors for almost 40 years. An honest and ethical contractor will give you advice for free in hopes that they will build a relationship and get work. At some point early on you will have to pull the trigger and have them do the work so they see that there is a symbiotic relationship.

User Stats

Votes
Pradeep Roy
Votes |
Replied May 12 2024, 08:14
Quote from @Adam Bartomeo:

I hear what your saying but I would avoid any contractor that accepts payment for advice. I have been working with contractors for almost 40 years. An honest and ethical contractor will give you advice for free in hopes that they will build a relationship and get work. At some point early on you will have to pull the trigger and have them do the work so they see that there is a symbiotic relationship.

True that.That would be an ideal situation and want to do that. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 12 2024, 08:24

This used to be true, but nowadays you will just lose out on a lot of really good and talented GCs who are tired of being told - "hey take a look at this house for free and I'll give you a lot of work in the future....as long as you work for cheap". Better to have a paid working relationship with a GC who doesn't care if you use him for the work or not. No conflict of interest either.

And are you sure you've been working with Contractors for 40 years? You would have to be in your late 50s at least. From your picture, you only look like you're 40 :-)

User Stats

Votes
Pradeep Roy
Votes |
Replied May 12 2024, 08:51
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

This used to be true, but nowadays you will just lose out on a lot of really good and talented GCs who are tired of being told - "hey take a look at this house for free and I'll give you a lot of work in the future....as long as you work for cheap". Better to have a paid working relationship with a GC who doesn't care if you use him for the work or not. No conflict of interest either.

And are you sure you've been working with Contractors for 40 years? You would have to be in your late 50s at least. From your picture, you only look like you're 40 :-)

Please let me know if you have any contacts in memphis

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied May 12 2024, 11:56

@Bruce Woodruff

I don't disagree with you. If I went to a GC and said "Hey, take a look at this job and I will pay you" and they took the money, that is the red flag. They should say, no, I will do it for you in hopes to get business.

Technically, I have been working with contractors since I was born. My Dad, uncles, cousins, you name it and my family did it. I have been on jobsites since I was 5 yrs old and I began working at 12. You are 100% correct! I am 40... in that picture. LOL! I have new head shots coming this July! Today, my facial hair is all white and more then half of my hair is white.

User Stats

Votes
Pradeep Roy
Votes |
Replied May 12 2024, 12:50

@Bruce Woodruff

I don't disagree with you. If I went to a GC and said "Hey, take a look at this job and I will pay you" and they took the money, that is the red flag. They should say, no, I will do it for you in hopes to get business.

Technically, I have been working with contractors since I was born. My Dad, uncles, cousins, you name it and my family did it. I have been on jobsites since I was 5 yrs old and I began working at 12. You are 100% correct! I am 40... in that picture. LOL! I have new head shots coming this July! Today, my facial hair is all white and more then half of my hair is white.

Incase of any GC contacts in memphis let me know

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 12 2024, 15:57

@Bruce Woodruff

I think that a good GC with decades of experience should charge, say $200-$300 for 1) a review of the Inspector's report, 2) a jobsite visit, plus 3) a budget with prices that are pretty close. I think there is a market for that. Hmmmm, maybe that's a new project for me.....

User Stats

Votes
AJ Singh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied May 12 2024, 22:07

@Pradeep Roy

Your home inspector should be able to tell you the critical stuff. Also your PM company is another source to review the inspection report. They should have GC leads for you in case you want to go that route.

In our strategy, we usually rehab the house to rental ready stage at the acquisition itself. 

Reach out via DM if you have any other questions on memphis . i have invested there since 2016

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Akindona
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Replied May 13 2024, 12:58

Hey @Pradeep Roy I own a fully licensed and insured construction company. We could absolutely do this for you and much, much, much more. Shoot me a DM. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.