Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Votes |
Your Policy on Hiring Friends???

Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Posted

Though my years of hiring trades to work on my rental and friends/ family/ clients properties I have had it good and bad experiences. Property managers that over promise, work not fully completed to satisfaction, things not being installed correctly, etc. Again.... from professionals I haven't met and friends whom I know personally that run their own companies...

I am curious, what is your policy on hiring friends (whom own their own companies) to work on your properties? Do or Don't and why?

User Stats

Votes
Erica Calella
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

My policy is to hire them for small projects, it's an easy and somewhat affordable way to tell if you really have a friend or not! If they are good at what they do, then that friendship can grow into a partnership. 

User Stats

Votes
Christian Padilla
  • Investor
  • Chicago
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago
Replied

!00% agree with Erica Calella. The best advice I've heard is to hire people for small jobs in order to vet them. You increase the size of the work if you like the results or find someone else if they do a poor job. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Perry Hall, MD
Votes |
  • Perry Hall, MD
Replied
Quote from @Brandon Elliott:

Though my years of hiring trades to work on my rental and friends/ family/ clients properties I have had it good and bad experiences. Property managers that over promise, work not fully completed to satisfaction, things not being installed correctly, etc. Again.... from professionals I haven't met and friends whom I know personally that run their own companies...

I am curious, what is your policy on hiring friends (whom own their own companies) to work on your properties? Do or Don't and why?

Never again, apart from friends who are friends because I met them through hiring their company.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
Replied

Hard no.

No friends or family, outside of my older brother. 

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied
Quote from @Erica Calella:

My policy is to hire them for small projects, it's an easy and somewhat affordable way to tell if you really have a friend or not! If they are good at what they do, then that friendship can grow into a partnership. 

I completely agree! 

It's still worth noting as well that just because you're friends with someone doesn't mean you should skip out on any contracts or paperwork either to keep everyone happy and protected 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Replied
Quote from @Jon K.:

Never again, apart from friends who are friends because I met them through hiring their company.

What's the story? Im curious!

And thanks for your input!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Replied
Quote from @Alyssa Wright:

I completely agree! 

It's still worth noting as well that just because you're friends with someone doesn't mean you should skip out on any contracts or paperwork either to keep everyone happy and protected 

Agreed! 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Replied
Quote from @V.G Jason:

Hard no.

No friends or family, outside of my older brother. 

Appreciate your thoughts here! Sounds like you and your brother are close! 

What is the story here? I am curious about how you've come to only trust your brother? 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Replied

This is spoken like a true vet! Thanks for your thoughts Erica! 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Erie
Replied
Quote from @Christian Padilla:

!00% agree with Erica Calella. The best advice I've heard is to hire people for small jobs in order to vet them. You increase the size of the work if you like the results or find someone else if they do a poor job. 

Totally agree! 

User Stats

Votes
Frank Barletta
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied

Are we talking drinking friends or people you trust and have rapport with? All depends on the relationship, though I did hire a cigar / drinking buddy to do some contract work but this was only after I helped him sheetrock some walls and learned what he was capable of.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

@Brandon Elliott I’ve learned the hard way about doing business with friends. Ended up in a lawsuit with one and had to get the bank to have their attorneys forcibly remove another from a mortgage due to total negligence and abandoning a project. (The second was a restaurant and its building that the partner just disappeared and abandoned the whole shebang and left us who were supposed to be silent money partners to run the business. This had a very expensive and poor ending for me).

I’ve become good friends with my primary contractor during our 20 year relationship but we primarily stick to business. I value his opinion and ask it frequently because he has about 35 years of experience in contracting and management.

For all people I’m hiring we start with small projects and even after they’ve established themselves to me I continue to bid out the jobs to ensure best practices and best prices.

I don’t expect any favors or pricing advantage because we pay competitive wages but if someone else is committed to doing a job as good and cheaper then the bottom line is I’m still trying to run my business and make a profit.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

Do not do it. It typically never ends well.