Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Emilio Ramirez
  • Contractor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Cost to Build in Phoenix Area

Emilio Ramirez
  • Contractor
  • Denver, CO
Posted

Hello Phoenix Area BPers!!! Just spent a few days in your lovely town. Was looking for sf numbers on cost to build in phoenix.  3000 sf with 3 baths.  Please let me know if you are including the cost of GCs or if you are managing the subs on your own. Not looking for cost of land, simply cost of construction for a high level estimate.  I realize there are a ton of variables, but just trying to get a general feel for costs of new construction in the Phoenix area. Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael S.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied

Forte Homes and VIP Homes advertise the following (again not including land, landscaping and upgrades).

Forte Homes- 3084 sq. ft. 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage $419,000 = $135 sqft

VIP Homes - 2947 - Bdrms: 4, Bath: 2.5, Garages: 2 $290,000= $98.40 sqft

Completed I would estimate $125-$150 plus the cost of land.

User Stats

Votes
Emilio Ramirez
  • Contractor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Denver, CO
Replied

Thanks Michael... I appreciate it!

Any other Phoenix or Arizona BP'ers have any insight. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Gene Hacker
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Replied

$98/ft is pretty good, I am wondering exactly what they include in that price. 

Permits, hookups, school fee's here in California can add up to huge numbers.  

User Stats

Votes
Ciro Affronti
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied

GC here, for your regular builder grade home and finishings, with no big upgrades or any special builds, you're looking at probably around $100/sq ft. This won't include the cost of land, or any major electrical upgrades from the city, and won't include the cost of an architect. If you're looking for something a little nicer you're probably looking at more of the $125-$150 per sq foot range.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Wells
Pro Member
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied

I have a similar question on the cost of building basic spec home, about 2000sqft in the Phoenix area.  I plan to be the General.  The plan is to build and put up for sale.  Any feedback from individuals that have completed a recent build and willing to share some numbers would be great.  

User Stats

Votes
Matt Morgan
  • Residential Agent And Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Residential Agent And Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied

Aaron R. Can probably add some insight here.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron R.
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

I'm building a little over 2000 sq ft for around $80/ft. Now I'm not done yet but that is where I expect to be. We're installing flooring and cabinets now, so we are close to finishing. This includes all permits and architect fees as well as demo of an existing 1000 sq ft house. We saved some money by keeping some of the existing slab from the old house as well.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Trounday
  • San Bruno, CA
Votes |
  • San Bruno, CA
Replied

I thought I would rekindle this thread rather than post a similar post requesting the same information since we are now in 2019.  I have a multifamily zoned R3 in N Phoenix and wanted to get thoughts from the BP community on roughly the cost/sq ft  to a build a 4-5 plex on .33 acre lot.  There is also the consideration of splitting the lot and building 2 single family residences.  I am not sure that is the highest and best use but thought I would throw it out there.  Thanks in advance,  Ray

User Stats

Votes
Donald Kellogg
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

@Emilio Ramirez 110-130 a foot depending on finishes and location.

User Stats

Votes
Pamela Sandberg
  • Realtor / Attorney
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor / Attorney
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

Re: highest and best use ... small MF (2-5 doors) are hard to come by in Phoenix right now. They tend to command a premium - especially if they are in a decent area and have decent finishes. Of course you'd need to run the numbers to see what a SFR goes for on that particular block, but the small MF numbers might surprise you!

User Stats

Votes
Rylan Lacey
  • Developer
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied
Originally posted by @Ray Trounday:

I thought I would rekindle this thread rather than post a similar post requesting the same information since we are now in 2019.  I have a multifamily zoned R3 in N Phoenix and wanted to get thoughts from the BP community on roughly the cost/sq ft  to a build a 4-5 plex on .33 acre lot.  There is also the consideration of splitting the lot and building 2 single family residences.  I am not sure that is the highest and best use but thought I would throw it out there.  Thanks in advance,  Ray

Hi Ray,

The more units the better. I’ve been developing multifamily in Phoenix for years and am the licensed GC and the developer.

I’m building with nearly all licensed subs and building my current 4 plex at about $60k per door just for vertical construction, so about $80 per sq ft. However you add in architects, grading and drainage and landscape architects (required for 3 or more units per lot), permits, contingencies and land I’m right at $125 per sq ft.

However if you’ve never developed before, you’re going to go over your budget as the first one is a major learning curve. Unless you’re a licensed commercial GC you can’t even pull the permits in your name on a 4 plex in Phoenix. Getting a licensed commercial GC will probably run you at about $115 per sq ft just for vertical. On your sized lot expect about $15k for architecture, $15k total for g and d/landscape architect, and about $15k total for pulling permits on 4 units. Make sure you got water and sewer accessible to your lot by checking down at the city, because that will make your lot worthless if you need a sewer main extension. Check for flood planes and flood ways on your lot. Make sure to find a lender who knows new construction and include the soft costs into the loan.

Hope this helps!