Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

How to Find Commercials Deals Besides Relying on Brokers

Bryson Rajendran
Posted Jul 3 2024, 12:24

Hi All,

I own a few single family houses but am interested in purchasing a commercial property without beds eg retail, warehouse, flexspace. What are some ways to find leads besdies relying on brokers? I am looking for a value add type of property where I can get a good return. Any advice is welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Taken
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 3 2024, 14:59
Quote from @Bryson Rajendran:

Hi All,

I own a few single family houses but am interested in purchasing a commercial property without beds eg retail, warehouse, flexspace. What are some ways to find leads besdies relying on brokers? I am looking for a value add type of property where I can get a good return. Any advice is welcome!

Public land records have a plethora of data nowadays. Property Radar is our favorite software by far (no affiliation other than I love it). You can find owner data for virtually any property type then just contact the owner and strike up a deal.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Jul 3 2024, 17:10

A.  Our best deals have come thru brokers.  Once you decide in a buy box and show them a financing letter from your bank.   You’re not just a tire kicker.  They will take care of you.

B.  Look on Loopnet or Crexi.  We make more money on nasty value add properties.  Look for properties that have been listed for at least 6 months or a year.  

C.  GIS property tax map or records.  In your area look for properties where taxes are past due or consistently paid late.

D.  GIS map look for your type of properties.  Look for properties that have changed hands in the last 2 years preferably with a stepped up basis.  

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Jul 3 2024, 17:13

If you find a property on your own still other your real estate agent. Get them the buyer agent commission. They will take care of you in the future. Don’t approach the sales agent or person. Have your agent do that. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 3 2024, 18:54

Just keep in mind zoning and code requirements. zoning is usually not a problem, but when a commercial is converted to residential current codes must be met which usually means two stair towers, fire separations, and sprinklers.

PS: Loopnet is what I used to find my warehouse. Never would have seen the sign without it.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Maugeri
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Replied Jul 3 2024, 20:10

Hi All,

A broker is the best option.  

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Jul 4 2024, 11:14

Loopnet Commercial Cincinnati.  768 hill st.  10.6 acres Industrial $650,000.  I would literally buy it today.  It is a NASTY piece of property and I love it.  Working on a similar property, not as NASTY, thus have already run the numbers.  You should have $1mm equity at 1 year, $2mm at 2 years, $4mm at 3 years, up to $5mm equity on this location.  Have to use your imagination and turn an Ugly Duckling into a Swan.

You can look or tell a top broker your buy box.  I would actually use them to buy this property. That way they get the buyer commission with little work and they love you going forward.  Have them call and not you, otherwise the Sales Agent will get pissed later if you contact first.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 4 2024, 12:16

Every investor should learn to use Cagis. I am glad to help. just ask. When one sees an address on "Hill" street or similar clues, a topo map is the next step.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 5 2024, 07:20

Hi All,

I would take a different tack than most.  If you want a “turnaround” type situation network with commercial lenders and find out about their trouble loans.  Buy the loans at a discount, and strike a deal with the owner dealing from a position of strength. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 5 2024, 07:43

Another method would be to talk to your tax person And attorneys, and let them know what you're looking for.

They deal with other clients than you, and would benefit from keeping the business consulting income if you buy it versus going to someone else with a different professional advisor setup.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 5 2024, 07:52

Lenders are not permitted to disclose loan terms conditions or even borrowers names until the loan is in foreclosure. Even then most refuse and refer you to heir lawyers. Appraisers and inspectors are not bound. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 6 2024, 20:17

Hi All,

Shooting you a message now about a connection I have!

User Stats

Votes
Bryson Rajendran
Replied Jul 10 2024, 17:20
Quote from @Henry Clark:

A.  Our best deals have come thru brokers.  Once you decide in a buy box and show them a financing letter from your bank.   You’re not just a tire kicker.  They will take care of you.

B.  Look on Loopnet or Crexi.  We make more money on nasty value add properties.  Look for properties that have been listed for at least 6 months or a year.  

C.  GIS property tax map or records.  In your area look for properties where taxes are past due or consistently paid late.

D.  GIS map look for your type of properties.  Look for properties that have changed hands in the last 2 years preferably with a stepped up basis.  

Hey Henry think that using GIS maps to identify people who pay taxes late is great idea. Can you recommend a specific service? 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Jul 10 2024, 17:35
Quote from @Henry Clark:

Hey Henry think that using GIS maps to identify people who pay taxes late is great idea. Can you recommend a specific service? 

Use the look function.  Can’t remember the name but there are some people who offered a service to pull info from his based on your search pattern. 

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 10 2024, 18:49
Quote from @Gregory Wilson:

Lenders are not permitted to disclose loan terms conditions or even borrowers names until the loan is in foreclosure. Even then most refuse and refer you to heir lawyers. Appraisers and inspectors are not bound. 

This is just plain incorrect.  First, mortgages and or deeds of trust are filed with the county and are a matter of public record.  Second, if the above were true no loans would ever get sold in the secondary market.
Some institutions MAY have a policy of not discussing their mortgage holdings unless under specific conditions.  And sensitive financial/personal information can not be disclosed, like ss#, etc.  But property and borrower, and anything else public record can be disclosed. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 10 2024, 19:32
Quote from @Don Konipol:

This is just plain incorrect.  First, mortgages and or deeds of trust are filed with the county and are a matter of public record.  Second, if the above were true no loans would ever get sold in the secondary market.
Some institutions MAY have a policy of not discussing their mortgage holdings unless under specific conditions.  And sensitive financial/personal information can not be disclosed, like ss#, etc.  But property and borrower, and anything else public record can be disclosed. 

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA): This law applies when a debt collector contacts a borrower on behalf of the bank. It restricts the collector from disclosing the borrower's debt details to anyone except the borrower, their spouse, or their attorney.

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA): This federal law mandates financial institutions to protect customer privacy.

Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA): This law regulates how credit reporting agencies handle borrower information. Banks can share information relevant to a borrower's creditworthiness with credit bureaus but cannot disclose specific loan details to third parties without the borrower's consent.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 10 2024, 19:42
Quote from @Don Konipol:

This is just plain incorrect. . . . Second, if the above were true no loans would ever get sold in the secondary market. . . . 

When a loan is sold to a new servicer, the original lender can share borrower information to facilitate a smooth transition. This information sharing is allowed under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) with the following considerations:

Necessity: The information shared should be limited to what's necessary for the new servicer to handle the loan effectively.
Borrower contact information (name, address, phone number, email)
Loan details (account number, loan amount, outstanding balance, interest rate, payment history)
Copies of loan documents

Borrower Notice: The original lender should notify the borrower about the transfer and the information being shared with the new servicer. This notification should be clear, concise, and explain the borrower's rights regarding their information.

New Servicer's Privacy Practices: The new servicer should also provide the borrower with their own privacy notice outlining how they collect, use, and share borrower information.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 10 2024, 23:12
Quote from @Don Konipol:

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA): This law applies when a debt collector contacts a borrower on behalf of the bank. It restricts the collector from disclosing the borrower's debt details to anyone except the borrower, their spouse, or their attorney.

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA): This federal law mandates financial institutions to protect customer privacy.

Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA): This law regulates how credit reporting agencies handle borrower information. Banks can share information relevant to a borrower's creditworthiness with credit bureaus but cannot disclose specific loan details to third parties without the borrower's consent.

The OP is discussing  purchasing a COMMERCIAL property. The regulations you’re quoting from apply only to CONSUMER PURPOSE LOANS, not commercial loans. 

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 10 2024, 23:13
Quote from @Don Konipol:

This is just plain incorrect. . . . Second, if the above were true no loans would ever get sold in the secondary market. . . . 

When a loan is sold to a new servicer, the original lender can share borrower information to facilitate a smooth transition. This information sharing is allowed under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) with the following considerations:

Necessity: The information shared should be limited to what's necessary for the new servicer to handle the loan effectively.
Loan details (account number, loan amount, outstanding balance, interest rate, payment history)
Copies of loan documents

Borrower Notice: The original lender should notify the borrower about the transfer and the information being shared with the new servicer. This notification should be clear, concise, and explain the borrower's rights regarding their information.

New Servicer's Privacy Practices: The new servicer should also provide the borrower with their own privacy notice outlining how they collect, use, and share borrower information.

The OP is discussing purchasing a COMMERCIAL property. The regulations you’re quoting from apply only to CONSUMER PURPOSE LOANS, not commercial loans.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 11 2024, 04:38
Quote from @Don Konipol:
Quote from @Don Konipol:

Copies of loan documents

The OP is discussing purchasing a COMMERCIAL property. The regulations you’re quoting from apply only to CONSUMER PURPOSE LOANS, not commercial loans.

The Graham Leach Act defines its scope to extend to protection to individuals as opposed to "financial institutions."  Maybe they disclose this stuff in Texas but the OP is looking here in Ohio.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 06:09

Gregory, any lender can provide a copy of the note and mortgage instrument to any party.  It information beyond that that may be restricted.  Further, being a Federal law, it applies across the nation.  We lend nationwide, and purchase existing loans nationwide.  Never had any problem receiving loan package from lenders who want to sell loans.  

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 11 2024, 08:28

Hi All,

You could start cold calling the property owners

User Stats

Votes
Sartaj G.
  • Spring, TX
Votes |
  • Spring, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 21:28

@Bryson Rajendran I am also in a similar boat. Have a few single family homes but want to diversify into NNN commercial properties. Looks like many people are mentioning Crexi and Loopnet but my impression was that good deals get picked up before reaching those forums and the best way to get a good deal is via an agent active in your target market. Is my understanding wrong?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 12 2024, 10:47

In the same boat here. Looking to start investing; but trying to find a good deal source to find the right property.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 13 2024, 04:46

Commercial agents have additional incentives to do "pocket listings" in order to increase the likelihood of avoiding a co-op commission. And, if you hook up with a buyers agent he will know nothing more than you can find on Loopnet beyond his own pocket listings. There is no incentive to share commercial listings with brokers in another agency if they are not listed on Loopnet. For properties listed in MLS, the buyers agent can do a lot of legwork and use MLS's brokers only tools and the listing agent will already expect a co-op commission to be paid.

For the bottom of the commercial market, properties not deemed worthy of Loopnet, a lot of driving around, using Cagis or similar GIS databases to get owners' name and addresses, and putting notes and business cards in doors is an alternative to Loopnet (I don't know about Crexi). Even if there is no sign and tenants are present, a poorly maintained exterior is a good sign that a building might be buyable. Years ago I came across a multifamily where the owner was not able to ready the property for market and thought it could not be sold until repairs which she could not do had been made. I bought it as is.