Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
MARK S KING
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NC
Votes |
Best State/City for Section 8

MARK S KING
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NC
Posted Jan 24 2023, 08:55

Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jan 24 2023, 09:51

Detroit hands down!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Benjamin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 24 2023, 09:54

KC is up there!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sara Frank
  • Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jan 24 2023, 10:05

Surprisingly, there are pockets of Washington DC that can net you significant cash flow using Section-8. I recommend looking into Dr. Joe Asamoah -- he is a prominent section 8 investor in DC. We had him as a guest on our podcast - the DC Real Estate Podcast, he was episode #10 

User Stats

Votes
David Greathouse
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 24 2023, 11:40

I've had some success with clients here in Cleveland

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jan 24 2023, 11:44
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!

WE GET 1200- 1400 A month on 3/4 br  props with all in pricing under 100k in the Cleveland markets. Heck I just got 825 for a 1 BR in East Cleveland, 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Jan 24 2023, 12:25

I have three tenants on Section 8. For a 3 bed/1bath home you can easily get $1,300/mo here in Detroit. And numbers I believe are up to $1,650/mo (or something like that) if you include utilities. I know they adjusted voucher limits higher again this year and we'll be pushing for increases on ours when they come up for renewal.

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jan 24 2023, 13:11
Quote from @Sara Frank:

Surprisingly, there are pockets of Washington DC that can net you significant cash flow using Section-8. I recommend looking into Dr. Joe Asamoah -- he is a prominent section 8 investor in DC. We had him as a guest on our podcast - the DC Real Estate Podcast, he was episode #10 

yea with half million dollar homes you can buy 10/15 properties in the D that will net double then DC

User Stats

Votes
Sam Yin
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 24 2023, 20:55

@MARK S KING

You just need to get the section 8 payment schedule. Pretty much everywhere it good. Every area has set prices section 8 will pay for certain properties.

A 2 bedroom in one area can command $800/month from section 8 and that same property will also command $2800/month down the road in a higher end area. It different within the county. They divide them by submarkets. It's all relative.

For example, in just one single county of SoCal, where I primarily invest, the desert section 8 pays $827 for a studio and $1733 for a two bedroom. At the other end of the same county, section 8 pays $1925 for a studio and $3028 for a 2 bedroom. The average cost per door is $100K versus $175K. So it all relative. I'm using 2022 pricing schedule, bit I'm sure its higher now since it generally increases every year. Just get it for the area you are interested in.

If section 8 is your play, you should take advantage and look for higher end areas so you can get the most out of more expensive properties that have more to appreciate. That's as long as you can afford to acquire it in the first place.

The question you should ask yourself is if you want section 8 in the first place. It not for everyone. It comes with it's own challenges. Deal with enough section 8 tenants and you will find out it not as rosy as some podcasts or books claim them to be. But you do get that guaranteed rent as a trade off for your work.

I have some section 8 tenants and other programs that are 10X tougher. I would NOT mix them with regular families as it often can create management challenges. But that is just a personal opinion based on personal experience with government tenants in California.

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 25 2023, 06:32
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Cleveland is pretty dope for Section 8 deals.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allen
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:04

@MARK S KING

Columbus,OH is pretty dope for Section 8 deals. Cleveland is alright too

User Stats

Votes
Sanat Bhandari
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:14

@MARK S KING Check out Council Bluffs, IA. It's right across the river from Omaha, has the same HUD FMRs as Omaha but properties there are at least 20% cheaper

Cash-flowing rentals is the name of the game out there so pretty sure you could do great with section 8

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:18

@MARK S KING

You might want to follow the "Deep Dive" series we're doing on our BiggerPockets blog about Metro Detroit cities, City of Detroit Neighborhoods and comparing Metro Detroit to other hotspots investors usually consider:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...
(BP search feature can be problematic, so we’ve also added links @ our website under View Cities & Neighborhoods We Service)

Please send us any feedback via email, as we do not use the DM feature here.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jan 25 2023, 12:27
Quote from @Scott Allen:

@MARK S KING

Bruh.....My dad can beat up your dad.

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jan 25 2023, 18:11

Who’s your daddy??????

Detroit!!!

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jan 25 2023, 18:12

Sorry I was just thinking about the Michigan and OSU game a few months back oops! Sorry again :)

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 26 2023, 12:39

@MARK S KING you will find nice numbers with any Class C properties

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 19 2023, 19:37
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

I have three tenants on Section 8. For a 3 bed/1bath home you can easily get $1,300/mo here in Detroit. And numbers I believe are up to $1,650/mo (or something like that) if you include utilities. I know they adjusted voucher limits higher again this year and we'll be pushing for increases on ours when they come up for renewal.

Would you mind sharing what parts of Detroit you invest in? Or what parts to stay away from. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 19 2023, 19:38
Quote from @Scott Allen:

@MARK S KING

I would love to have a quick conversation if your ever free. I would like to learn more about Columbus OH. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Jun 19 2023, 19:44
Quote from @Michael Bishay:
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Would you mind sharing what parts of Detroit you invest in? Or what parts to stay away from. 

That's a pretty big conversation. Detroit itself is 150 sq miles. People have no concept how much ground that actually is. 

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 20 2023, 10:40
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Hi Mark, Columbus Ohio is a great market for section 8 rentals. I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. Just this month, I’ve gotten under contract for my clients for multiple 20%+ cash on cash rental properties so there’s definitely tons of opportunity here. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 20 2023, 14:27
Oh Man!  Michigan wins two years out of 20 and I can't stop hearing about it!  But I love Detroit and Michigan and want to see Detroit rebuild itself stronger than ever.  Industrial midwest cities help built this country and this economy and many got left behind after the manufacturing left and I've seen it first hand how it destroyed communities but they're resilient cities with very strong and resilient people and are excellent for Section 8 rentals.
New Forest Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 20 2023, 14:28
My dad looked just like Chuck Norris but never learned Karate!  Can you believe that!  Man my life could have been totally different growing up in a Chuck Norris Karate household!!
New Forest Realty Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jun 20 2023, 15:38

Let me just say there is 30,000 section 8 open contracts in the city of Detroit maybe that might turn some lightbulbs on lol

User Stats

Votes
Aaron K.
  • New to Real Estate
  • SoCal
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • SoCal
Replied Jun 26 2023, 15:11
Quote from @Arsen Atanasovski:

Let me just say there is 30,000 section 8 open contracts in the city of Detroit maybe that might turn some lightbulbs on lol

Hey Arsen can you elaborate more on what this means? Do you mean there are currently 30,000 Section 8 voucher holders with no where to go due to a lack of section 8 housing or something else?

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jun 27 2023, 04:53

Absolutely