Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
MARK S KING
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NC
Votes |
Best State/City for Section 8

MARK S KING
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NC
Posted Jan 24 2023, 08:55

Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2023, 18:21
Quote from @Arsen Atanasovski:

Absolutely 

Hello Arsen, Detroit looks like a very viable option for section 8 cash flow, but its just so large of an area.  Any tips on how to narrow down a decent section of Wayne County? Every address I plug into Spotcrime.com lights up like a Christmas tree!! lol 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jun 27 2023, 18:35
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!

No clue how you find the best state for it. I get 1200- 1400 for 4 br in Cleveland with an all in price of about 90k, I would think anyone would be happy with that. I am getting 825 for 2 brs apartments, 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jun 28 2023, 07:04

You will need boots on the ground for this city this is no LA or Miami or Houston. You will not receive and appreciation but you will cashflow like crazy! Detroit is a street by street city not area, or zip code. For example I just picked up a 3 bedroom home for $50,000 and rented it for $1450 with $6000 in rehab. You can do the same on a different street and get $1200 or less and maybe have a hard time renting it. Again it’s not like 90% of the areas you look at and just pick from Zillow and run numbers. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 28 2023, 12:08

Thank you so much for your insight.  Seems like I have my work cut out for me.  I defiantly see the opportunity. 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jun 29 2023, 07:04
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron K.
  • New to Real Estate
  • SoCal
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • SoCal
Replied Jun 29 2023, 12:12

Absolutely 

Wow, that is quite absurd. 30,000 voucher holders with no where to go? How did you get this info? Whenever I called the Southern Las Vegas Housing Authority to ask them how many voucher holders they have who are currently in possession of a voucher with no where to go they would never give me an exact number.

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jun 29 2023, 17:04

Well like they say it’s not what your know it’s who you know :)

Account Closed
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 30 2023, 12:58

Here in Ohio, Section 8 landlords tend to do very well in Cleveland. Even here in Columbus, Section 8 is very doable in C class neighborhoods.

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Jun 30 2023, 21:33

There are various housing committees, grants, and other organizations in and around the city of Detroit. There are many maybe 80% of them will not share much information with investors or landlords, it’s not their job and frankly that’s just extra work for them the case workers. Some of them are rockstars and have a drive in their job, those few that I know have provided me their database of open vouchers that need to be fulfilled and they are having a hard time. One of them calls me every week to get an update on my properties and whether I have any vacant so she can fill. Their rates are very reasonable 1bedroom $1000 2 bedroom $1250 3. Bedroom $1550. But the reason I’ve gotten this information is the upkeep I do with my properties and the case workers love it! They come in on the 1st inspection and it’s passed. On all my section 8 inspection I have my contractor walk with the case worker fixing, replacing or repairing anything they might have a concern about right there as the inspection is going on. If it’s an item that needs time or needs to be picked ip at the store I send the case worker my pick up order information in an hour and stating that the guys are working on it. There is one case worker that blew her mind on my process that she sat down with me to discuss their organization and how they have a tier system of helping people get a place to live, this is where I found her information alone had a database of 7000 people that had approved applications but no place to go. When digging deeper, I notice a lot of landlords would rather take cash tenants and not deal with double inspections with section 8. The way I look at it is the place has already been inspected by the city what’s the difference. There are many benefits with section 8 in order for the tenant to be placed in one of my properties they go through a process with the committee then when living in the property they need to abide by lease rules and keep the property in shape, if major damage is made or neglect to the property by the tenant they may losE their voucher from section 8, so it’s a very good idea to go this route and food for thought you always know your property is up to date safety wise and livable with annually inspections. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 7 2023, 10:25
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Saw Cleveland was mentioned as a Section 8 destination for you. I've been killing it with Section 8 deals in Cleveland for over a decade. Some other areas in Ohio you may want to look into for Section 8 deals are Akron, Canton, Youngstown and Toledo. All of those markets have been good to me as well.

Do you get any appreciation?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Brown
  • New to Real Estate
  • West Kingston, RI
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • West Kingston, RI
Replied Sep 11 2023, 07:19

I've found that the payment standards are sometimes quite a bit higher than what I'm seeing as actual rent for an area.  In these scenarios - does affordable housing tend to go with the actual market rent? Or do they allow closer to what is listed in the payment standard rate?  I'm worried about buying my first section 8 investment - and the rent being much lower than what is advertised on the section 8 payment standard.  thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Sep 11 2023, 07:24

You best way to go about this is if you have the target area and properties you like to buy, I would research the local section 8 housing committees and ask them what their rates are and that will give you the actual rental rates they provide.

I have a list of my committees and what they allow to pay for example it’s a chart and it will say 1 bedroom $900 , 2 bedroom $1300, etc……

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 13 2023, 10:40
Quote from @MARK S KING:

User Stats

Votes
Nader Shariff
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Sep 13 2023, 12:53

Another vote in for Detroit Michigan

User Stats

Votes
Mohammad Parwez
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Sep 14 2023, 04:19

City of Greensboro NC the department of housing pays for a 3 bedroom unit a sum of about $1700/month for section 8 tenant.

If you buy a 3 BR SFH property for less than 160k then you can make at a minimum of 300 per month per unit considering all expenses other than property management.If you include that then reduce anoth 80-100.

This is all assuming interest rate of 7%. If you have better interest or cash then it would be a better return. See the numbers below:

User Stats

Votes
Maria Bolivar
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Feb 11 2024, 14:37

Detroit hands down!

Hi @Arsen Atanasovski thanks for your feedback. Are you still bullish on Detroit? 

I'm actively seeking properties to seed my portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Feb 11 2024, 18:53
Quote from @Maria Bolivar:

Detroit hands down!

Hi @Arsen Atanasovski thanks for your feedback. Are you still bullish on Detroit? 

Hugely bullish on Detroit. I was just there all last week meeting clients and hunting deals. 

I picked up another duplex for my personal portfolio that will bring me to 14 doors.

User Stats

Votes
Maria Bolivar
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Feb 12 2024, 03:42
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Detroit hands down!

Hi thanks for your feedback. Are you still bullish on Detroit? 

Hugely bullish on Detroit. I was just there all last week meeting clients and hunting deals. 

I picked up another duplex for my personal portfolio that will bring me to 14 doors.

Fantastic! Thank you so much @Travis Biziorek Last night we started to scout properties in Michigan. I'd love to connect with you. We'll need boots on the ground and perhaps you already have referrals for property managers/handymans that can help us with the inspections and required fixes.

User Stats

Votes
Gavin Horkheimer
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 8 2024, 19:58

Detroit hands down!

Who do you use for property management? What are the fees looking like? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Mar 8 2024, 20:05
Quote from @Gavin Horkheimer:

Detroit hands down!

My portfolio is managed with our internal company. We manage over 500 doors in Detroit now but only offer it to folks we work with on the acquisition side.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 10 2024, 18:46

There are various housing committees, grants, and other organizations in and around the city of Detroit. There are many maybe 80% of them will not share much information with investors or landlords, it’s not their job and frankly that’s just extra work for them the case workers. Some of them are rockstars and have a drive in their job, those few that I know have provided me their database of open vouchers that need to be fulfilled and they are having a hard time. One of them calls me every week to get an update on my properties and whether I have any vacant so she can fill. Their rates are very reasonable 1bedroom $1000 2 bedroom $1250 3. Bedroom $1550. But the reason I’ve gotten this information is the upkeep I do with my properties and the case workers love it! They come in on the 1st inspection and it’s passed. On all my section 8 inspection I have my contractor walk with the case worker fixing, replacing or repairing anything they might have a concern about right there as the inspection is going on. If it’s an item that needs time or needs to be picked ip at the store I send the case worker my pick up order information in an hour and stating that the guys are working on it. There is one case worker that blew her mind on my process that she sat down with me to discuss their organization and how they have a tier system of helping people get a place to live, this is where I found her information alone had a database of 7000 people that had approved applications but no place to go. When digging deeper, I notice a lot of landlords would rather take cash tenants and not deal with double inspections with section 8. The way I look at it is the place has already been inspected by the city what’s the difference. There are many benefits with section 8 in order for the tenant to be placed in one of my properties they go through a process with the committee then when living in the property they need to abide by lease rules and keep the property in shape, if major damage is made or neglect to the property by the tenant they may losE their voucher from section 8, so it’s a very good idea to go this route and food for thought you always know your property is up to date safety wise and livable with annually inspections. 

Great post, thank you for sharing!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 10 2024, 18:48

Detroit hands down!

My portfolio is managed with our internal company. We manage over 500 doors in Detroit now but only offer it to folks we work with on the acquisition side.

Let's connect, I'm interested.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Arsen Atanasovski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rochester, MI
Replied Apr 10 2024, 19:46

Detroit hands down!

Hey Travis I never knew this I thought it was just your portfolio, where is the office? I want to stop by and maybe possibly pass some properties over to your PM company. Send me the address in a DM man thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Apr 10 2024, 19:49

Detroit hands down!

Hey Travis I never knew this I thought it was just your portfolio, where is the office? I want to stop by and maybe possibly pass some properties over to your PM company. Send me the address in a DM man thanks! 

Shoot me an email, brother. Our brokerage office is in the suburbs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 12 2024, 06:39
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @MARK S KING:

I’m looking to get into section 8 in Ohio as well, do you think you could provide some numbers on one of your properties. CocRoi, Cashflow, and dscr would all be helpful as well as expenses