Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jason King
  • Investor
  • Johnston, RI
Votes |
Part-time RE Agent

Jason King
  • Investor
  • Johnston, RI
Posted

Good Morning BPers, 

A quick question for all of the more experienced investor/agents out there - has anyone started as a RE Agent while still holding a full-time job? I want to get my RE Agent license, but in my state you must work as an agent in order to gain the license/access to MLS. I am really not too interested in becoming a full-time agent, as my current full-time job has a much higher earning potential (at least to start), more looking for some supplemental experience/income and access to the MLS. Maybe this isn't the right route for me to achieve my goals, so I am open to suggestions. Any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated!

Jason

User Stats

Votes
Vonetta Booker
  • Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Replied

It's definitely possible to be a PT RE agent--as long as it fits with what your main goals are. It works for me because I don't do retail--I have my license primarily to buy/sell my own flips. It gives me access to the MLS to find, see & make offers on deals ASAP, and then I make/sell commission when buying/selling.

I think the ones who are pro-full time are usually the retail agents--which I can see, as they're working solely with retail buyers & sellers who need their services on a full-time basis.  It's just all about being aware of your own personal goals and what works for you.  Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Huber
  • Investor Agent
  • Burke, VA
Votes |
  • Investor Agent
  • Burke, VA
Replied

Hi.  I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I signed up to take the class and I hope it will help with finding deals and possibly accept clients on a limited basis. I have two questions:

-Once I sign up with NAR, will I have MLS access for all of the US? Or just the state(s) in which I'm licensed?

-It's sounding like being a Buyer's Agent is not possible to do part-time because you're shuttling buyers around to different houses. However, can it be done part-time if you're a listing agent?

Also, ideally, if I can close on one house a month and keep my full time job, I'd be in heaven.  I'd even be satisfied with one house a quarter. Is this realistic while holding a full-time job?

Thanks all!

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Judy Parker
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Closter, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Closter, NJ
Replied

@Jason King, I hold a full-time job and also my real estate license.  Like you, I don't want to give up the security of the regular paycheck and benefits, for the insecurity of a straight commission job.  After work hours I do my real estate investment and occasional real estate agent tasks.

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Brenengen
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
ModeratorReplied

@Brian Huber you will join your local Realtor association in addition to the national association. It's through the local board that you will gain MLS access. It doesn't cover a whole state, just a small portion. My MLS covers the central part of NC, known as the Triangle.

You can be a part time buyer's or listing agent. Buyers are typically house hunting on the weekends, so that might fit your schedule. It's more lucrative to work with sellers, so I would focus there. 

I know full time agents who can't close one house a month. One house a quarter is probably realistic as a part timer. If you are a hard worker, great marketer and really passionate about RE, you could do better than average!