Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ariana Grace
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles County
Votes |
Soon to be real estate salesperson need tips/tricks

Ariana Grace
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles County
Posted May 28 2024, 15:03

Currently wrapping up courses to take real estate salesperson exam (california) was hoping if anyone could guide me to some things that helped them pass the exam as well as in the business in general? 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied May 28 2024, 17:15

I would recommend shadowing a few agents for the next 3-4 months, see if you like it and then commit into the business. It is a full-time deal, and you will need to build your pipeline of clients for the next 2 years. The first year may suck but you will realize after sometime the work you put today will impact tomorrow. I have had many clients reach out to me from years ago to assist in their financing needs that did not need help when I had initially contacted them. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied May 28 2024, 17:18

I would also prioritize trying to replace your regular 9-5 job and then gradually increasing your income with more experience. Do not have the unrealistic expectation of trying to make more than 6 figures your first year. It may be possible but it's a small minority. Focus on learning and building for the next couple of years. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Ariana Grace
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles County
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles County
Replied May 28 2024, 18:17

Wow thanks! Hope to hear more from you soon. 

User Stats

Votes
Manny Vasquez
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orange County
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orange County
Replied May 28 2024, 18:28

To pass the exam I recommend you take "Real Estate Trainers" Live Crash course. Sign up for the live crash course the weekend before your state exam.  I took the crash course many, many, many, many years ago and passed the exam on my first try.  They do a good job of going over test strategies and going over what you should and shouldn't remember. Here is their website https://www.retrainersca.com/  They are based out of Anaheim.

Once you get your license, I recommend you find a good mentor.  Preferably, someone with plenty of experience that has been in the business for a long time.  The way you can tell how long someone has been selling real estate is that you look at their RE License number.  The RE license is issued in sequential order, so someone who has a license number that starts with "01956733" will have been licensed longer than someone who has a license number of "02166837".  Anyway, shadow that person as much and as often as you can so that you can learn the ins-and-outs on how to be successful.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied May 28 2024, 20:09

Welcome to BP and congratulations on your upcoming exam! I recommend finding and listening to real estate podcasts. They were incredibly helpful for me in solidifying what I was reading and learning during my studies. I also discovered some excellent YouTube channels that discuss test material and sample questions, which I watched regularly. You can only do so much reading, and the podcasts and videos really helped switch up my study routine. Good luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
Mark Pedroza
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties
Replied May 29 2024, 02:22

@Ariana Grace

As @Manny Vasquez mentioned I would also recommend the weekend exam crash course:https://www.retrainersca.com/salesperson-state-exam.html

They assisted me in receiving my license a few years ago...

Good luck... 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Hill
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Midland Park, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Midland Park, NJ
Replied May 29 2024, 02:47

I strongly recommend using PrepAgent and the practice exams on it. I’m licensed in NJ and the practice exams had identical questions to the actual test. Prepagent also has a massive pdf file for all of the vocab, as well as flashcards and vocab study guides.

I also recommend the Real Estate Advantage YouTube channel. They have practice exams on there.

My recommendation as an agent is to provide massive value to clients in ways other agents won’t. For example I cold call property owners for off market deals for the developers and investors I work with. You should also network and find top-producing agents and real estate individuals to learn from. The more mentors and help you can get, the faster you will learn.

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied May 29 2024, 18:33
Quote from @Ariana Grace:

Currently wrapping up courses to take real estate salesperson exam (california) was hoping if anyone could guide me to some things that helped them pass the exam as well as in the business in general? 

Hello Ariana!

Great advice on here so far. 

A couple of book recommendations:

- David Greene's 'Skill' & 'Sold'
- Hyper Local, Hyper Fast Agent by Dan Lesniak
- Gary Keller's Millionaire Real Estate Agent
- Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Successful People

Soak up the practical advice and apply it.

The main takeaways I got from these books:

- A day where you don't work to generate leads is a day off. Focus on generating leads for at least 2 hours/day. The rest of the day should be dedicated to following up with past leads & going on appointments.
- Do not be a secret agent. Instead, work towards being omnipresent. Get on as many platforms as you can i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok, X/Twitter, BiggerPockets, Google Business, Youtube, to name a few... 
- Leverage your database, clients (past and present) and experienced/busy agents in your brokerage or market. Use each property or client as an opportunity to get into more conversations and add more people to your database.
For example, for each buyer client you have, call homeowners in their target areas and let them know you have qualified buyers searching in the area.
For each listing/seller client, call your database to spread the word... call other homeowners nearby to ask, "Who do you know that is looking to make a move to the area.".. 
While these are only conversation starters, they can lead to deeper conversations about someones interest in buying, selling or referring someone to you.
- Do not get caught in the analysis paralysis trap! There is so much information for agents that it can be easy to absorb and not apply. Stick to the practical advice that can help you build a book of business. You'll also get bombarded with solicitations for 'hot leads' and 'done for you marketing'... these shiny objects don't always pan out and you should be cautious when considering anything that makes lead generation seem 'easy'.

Tons more to consider as you get started. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to discuss strategy, challenges you're facing, or any questions you have.

All the best!

Abel

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Roth
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied May 30 2024, 07:10

Hi Ariana-

Congratulations on deciding to become a real estate salesperson.

You asked about passing the exam to be licensed in California and business in general.

As far as passing the exam, I remember taking my real estate coursework at night, in person, after work. I studied released questions and there was a practice test one could take that was created for the test here in Michigan. They both helped.

In terms of what I would do starting out in business if I were to do it again, I would recommend working for a larger team to learn their sales process and have practice in the field. I started on my own and learned everything by asking more experienced mentors and modeling my practices after them with trial and error.

I would also network with other small business owners in your area as they understand business and will help you if you go out of your way to help them.

Additionally, I would start writing content or creating videos about real estate in your area so people can see that you are a subject area expert and over time they will decide to work with you. Plus, you create the content once and it works for you over and over.

Finally, I would try to create more value than you receive in return as that will grow your business more than anything. Creating massive value! I always try to create 10X in value what I receive in compensation for my services.

To your success!

User Stats

Votes
Tao Tames
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles
Replied May 30 2024, 12:06

Like others have mentioned, the exam crash course will help a lot. I also suggest purchasing a book on Audible called "Real Estate Terms Pocket Dictionary." I listened to this book at least five times right before my exam, and it was really helpful. I passed my exam two months ago and found it to be fairly easy.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Troy DeLong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lansing, MI
Replied Jun 3 2024, 05:00

@Ariana Grace 

For help passing the exam, I HIGHLY recommend listening to the 'Pass the Real Estate Exam with PrepAgent' podcast. He does a fantastic job of giving you tips and tricks to remember all of the vocabulary you'll need to memorize. 

For help succeeding in the business...
1) Be an EXPERT when it comes to real estate knowledge. Take every con-ed class you can and sit in on every sales meeting your brokerage holds. 
2) Be available whenever your client is available. If your client is only available to see a house on Saturday at 8am, you better be waiting at the house for them at 7:55am. 
3) Do what you say you're gonna do. Clients will remember every little thing you say. 
4) Be professional. Dress nice, don't swear and have a nice business card. 
5) Network. Go to the local meetups for business professionals. Go to the luncheon that the local lender invited everyone to. Don't be embarrassed to leave your business card with your hair stylist. 

Now, in a couple of years when you're established and have a good book of business, you could loosen up on the schedule and networking part, but these are good starting steps that helped me get to where I am. 

Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Sherry McQuage
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Replied Jun 16 2024, 11:34
Quote from @Erik Estrada:

I would recommend shadowing a few agents for the next 3-4 months, see if you like it and then commit into the business. It is a full-time deal, and you will need to build your pipeline of clients for the next 2 years. The first year may suck but you will realize after sometime the work you put today will impact tomorrow. I have had many clients reach out to me from years ago to assist in their financing needs that did not need help when I had initially contacted them. 

Ariana,

This is good advice.  While there are a very few new agents that are able to have a fantastic first year in real estate sales, they are in the minority.  My first year was filled with attending classes (I'm with Keller Williams, and they provide awesome free training to their agents), talking to people (in grocery stores, family, online chat rooms, etc), and listening to Bigger Pockets podcasts as I drove (alone) or walked my dog.

Literally in year 3, I started getting repeat clients.  I figured out a system to keep in touch with prior clients (google this for ideas), and lead with a desire to help others...

In your post you didn't mention if you have a spouse, or are living with family.  If at all possible, minimize your living expenses (live with your parents, or house hack) until you get established with your real estate business.

Any hobbies you have, seek out others with similar interests and build relationships.  Ask others what they do for a living, and eventually they'll ask you what you do.  Have a planned/practiced 1-2 sentences about how you help people buy and sell real estate.

Keep your expenses low, track not only what you spend (personal, and business), and track your "lead indicators"...x hours daily lead generating, # people you talked with daily about real estate, # social media posts you created about real estate topics.  

Find a mentor that will let you shadow them, continue learning on Bigger Pockets, and TRACK things that matter.

Please don't get discouraged...real estate is a long-term play.  I haven't found any "get rick quick" or easy buttons as an agent.  Put in the work, track what you do, and the results will take care of themselves.

Best to you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes