Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Spence
  • Winter Garden, FL
Votes |
The process of a HELOC

Michael Spence
  • Winter Garden, FL
Posted

Hey BP,

I'm truly trying to get a firm grasp on how a HELOC works. My wife and I are currently considering taking one out on the property we live in to purchase our first rental property. The problem is I'm still unsure of how it all comes together. Is there someone whose gone through this process actually lay it out for us? Any pitfalls to look for? Etc.

Thanks BP

User Stats

Votes
Mike Malfitani
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied

I'm getting a 100k HELOC now and intend to use it for my first rental property purchase, so we are in the same boat.

You just have to run the numbers and make sure it makes sense. If you buying a property for cash, you need to make sure your rent can cover those HELOC payments along with your other expenses. If you are using your HELOC for a downpayment, your rent needs to cover the cost of your new mortgage, HELOC and expenses.

I'm analizing a lot of deals now; must have looked at close to 100 over the course of the last week and this method makes it tough to find a property that makes sense numbers wise, however there have been quite a few that have been break-even given this scenario so i know there will eventually be one that provides some cash flow, even when using a HELOC, i just have to find them.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Niki C.
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
  • Aurora, CO
Replied

When i open my Heloc there was a $200+ fee for the appraisal. There is no other fee rather than that. And $75 annual fee to keep the HELOC. Hope this help.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nolan M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied

I opened a HELOC a couple of months ago. I used Navy Federal which offers up to 95% LTV. I did pay about $500 for an appraisal and my closing costs were only $25. My interest rate is at 6% now but is adjustable. I have a 20 year draw period and another 20 years to pay it off after that. The entire process took about 6 weeks. I'm planning on using the $ to buy flips in order to fund down payments for more rentals.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Chin
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Replied

I used HELOC's to use as down payments on my rental properties. Loan requirements change time to time and from bank to bank, so you have to check what the currently are, and you already got some good comments.

Just to forewarn you when I approach banks to get my NOO mortgage, and if you tell them the down payment is from a HELOC, the answer is "NO, you cannot use it, it got to be seasoned funds". It happened to me.

Fortunately, my wife had a joint account with her mom of many years, and we were able to show we had seasoned funds. Spoke to some people who suggested we move money over from the HELOC to a money market fund for a short while. A co-worker had a friend add his name to a bank account to show as seasoned funds. Which ever way, put the account down on the loan application, and this way, they won't even have to ask you.

Turned out I went to the closing and was able to use the HELOC, so there's no problem there.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied

It would be odd to have no closing costs on a HELOC as it is a security interest like any other mortgage or deed of trust... so the instrument will need to be recorded, title insurance may be required, there may be closing fees and transfer or recordation taxes due, etc., depending on where the property is located.

For those who think they paid no closing costs either the bank covered those or they in fact paid them because they were included in the first draw.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Novak
  • Canonsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Canonsburg, PA
Replied

You can also look in to investor lines of credit.  The rates might be slightly higher but works similarly

User Stats

Votes
Alex Shaughnessy
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Spring Valley, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Spring Valley, CA
Replied

I have a heloc w/ a credit union and there were no fees. I got a fixed rate for the first year and variable after. Interest only payments so flip that house quick so you can put the money back, or make sure your cash flow on a buy and hold is good enough to pay the interest on the heloc until you can refi out of it.

User Stats

Votes
Devante Boll
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied

@Frank Chin Is it risky using a HELOC to fund your rental properties? How do you protect yourself/put the money back in due time before it goes from fixed rate to variable rate?

I want to have HELOCs in my investor toolbox one day, but I mainly want to be a buy and hold investor.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Chin
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Replied
Originally posted by @Devante Boll:

@Frank Chin Is it risky using a HELOC to fund your rental properties? How do you protect yourself/put the money back in due time before it goes from fixed rate to variable rate?

I want to have HELOCs in my investor toolbox one day, but I mainly want to be a buy and hold investor.

No, not a problem. I generally use the HELOC to fund the 10% down, the rest of the funding is a fixed rate mortgage. I generally go for good cash flow, and in the NY market, rents and property values go up quickly, the problem evaporates in a few years anyway.

HELOCs help me get into the property, and currently, I'm mortgage free.

User Stats

Votes
Devante Boll
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Votes |
  • Corpus Christi, TX
Replied

@Frank Chin I appreciate the reply and advice. I'll definitely take heed of that!

User Stats

Votes
Brian G.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

@Alpesh Parmar would love to talk sometime. I’m considering the same strategy and would love to hear any lessons/pitfalls you’ve gained. Will pm you.

User Stats

Votes
Alpesh Parmar
  • Investor
  • Dublin, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dublin, CA
Replied
Originally posted by @Brian G.:

@Alpesh Parmar would love to talk sometime. I’m considering the same strategy and would love to hear any lessons/pitfalls you’ve gained. Will pm you.

Sure Brian.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!