Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
Investing in Ohio-Specifically Section 8

Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Posted Aug 7 2024, 14:45

Hello everyone!

New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

$110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....

User Stats

Votes
Linda Labbe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Replied Aug 7 2024, 15:29

Hi Nicholas we invest in Toledo and have a great team on the ground there that we share would be delighted to assist you if you want to chat

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
  • Chino, CA
Replied Aug 7 2024, 22:01

Hi Linda,

I will be reaching out to you soon for some insight.  Thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kerlous Tadres
Pro Member
#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 8 2024, 06:26
Quote from @Nicholas Nakamura:

Hello everyone!

New here to the forum and I am currently looking to invest in Ohio for the purpose of providing section 8 housing.  I have about 1

$110K to invest, and I am looking to invest in the next few months.  Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the journey ahead....

Hey Nicholas, 

I currently have 4 doors here in Columbus! I would love to help you get some referrals to help you set up your CORE 4 to get you a solid team to get going!

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 8 2024, 06:29

Hey Nicholas,

There are some great section-8 opportunities here in Columbus. The city is also growing a ton. There are multiple billion dollar companies dumping money into the city, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon.

I'd be happy to share some areas where you'll see the most cash-flow.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 8 2024, 06:58

Hello everyone!

Welcome to BP! I recommend you research the local section 8 program.  There are landlord courses you can take to become more educated on section 8

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 8 2024, 07:13

Hello everyone!

Toledo, Cleveland, and Dayton would get you a nice turnkey property at that price point

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 8 2024, 07:16

I am a big fan of small multifamily deals in this market. 2-4 units to maximize cash flow. 

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
  • Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Aug 8 2024, 07:45

Hello everyone!

Cleveland will be a suitable market for your Section 8 investment. Check out areas like Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre, Cudell, Jefferson and West Boulevard. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 8 2024, 10:21

Also look for a reputable PM that specialized in sec8 program in cleveland the market as well, not every PM work with this program. I would love to connect to one if anyone can suggest any. 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Aug 8 2024, 13:53

@Nicholas Nakamura

Welcome to BP!

To invest in Section 8 housing, look at areas such as Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton, choose safe neighborhoods, study Section 8 standards, analyze property types, and explore financing choices. Network with local investors, undertake extensive due diligence, and develop a clear exit strategy. Starting out in Section 8 housing may be a rewarding experience both financially and socially.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#5 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#5 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 8 2024, 15:59

Hello everyone!

Hi Nicholas! Check out Columbus OH if you want to do Section 8 housing. I've done a lot of Section 8 myself for my own rentals. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
  • Chino, CA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 18:34

Hey Kerlous,

That would be great.  I’ll PM for some referrals.  Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 9 2024, 03:37

Hi, welcome! Yes, Ohio is a place where you want to invest in the real estate market. My clients would definitely agree. People are investing in the real estate market from all over the world. If you have any questions reach out! Best Wishes!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#2 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Aug 9 2024, 04:28

@Nicholas Nakamura

in order to be successful, you will need to build a network on the ground in Ohio with people you know and trust. buying a random property on the MLS in unknown condition based on other people looking at it, and putting it under management with people you have never met, will not work, and you will lose money.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-expe...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-balti...

so - what's your plan?  how will you do things differently than those folks did?

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Aug 9 2024, 07:08

Hello everyone!

Hey Nick! Cincy has a pretty good section 8 program to take advantage of as an investor. Shoot me a message for details!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
  • Chino, CA
Replied Aug 9 2024, 07:47
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

Hello everyone!

Cleveland will be a suitable market for your Section 8 investment. Check out areas like Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Centre, Cudell, Jefferson and West Boulevard. 

Thanks for the suggestions Simon.  I'll check those areas out

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Aug 9 2024, 08:10

If you are looking into Section 8, I recommend you check the Columbus market. Any C-class neighborhoods are more geared towards Section 8 and long term renters. Let me know how I can help!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
  • Chino, CA
Replied Aug 9 2024, 08:21

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I've read so many horror stories on this forum about terrible PMs.  With so many investors on this forum, are there any good PM companies that anyone can vouch for in Cleveland?  

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Aug 9 2024, 09:21

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I've read so many horror stories on this forum about terrible PMs.  With so many investors on this forum, are there any good PM companies that anyone can vouch for in Cleveland?  

Yeah, I can introduce you to a couple. Check your DM.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Nakamura
  • Chino, CA
Votes |
  • Chino, CA
Replied Aug 9 2024, 11:11
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Nicholas Nakamura

in order to be successful, you will need to build a network on the ground in Ohio with people you know and trust. buying a random property on the MLS in unknown condition based on other people looking at it, and putting it under management with people you have never met, will not work, and you will lose money.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-expe...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-balti...

so - what's your plan?  how will you do things differently than those folks did?

Those are the stories that worry me.  My plan is to build a trustworthy network on the ground, but looking for referrals from experienced investors.  Been trying to research and connect with trustworthy investors, but I feel as if everyone who contacts or post are out for themselves and really don't want to help others trying to get their foot in the door.  I really want to find a reliable and reputable PM to work with during this process.  Where do you suggest I start? 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Aug 9 2024, 11:13

@Nicholas Nakamura 

can you make a trip out there in person?  or several trips?  go to some meetups, meet some PMs and agents in person, look at some properties.  go 2 or 4 or 6 times.  pack your trips with showings and meetings.

if it's not worth it to you to spend some time and money doing that... then don't spend tens of thousands of dollars on a property.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 9 2024, 13:42

Hi, we are a private lender and we are local so anything I can help with let me know.  
Ted NCCG  Consulting

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!