Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Wholesaling
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • boston, NH
Votes |
listsource

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • boston, NH
Posted May 4 2014, 14:14

is listsource a good way to get a lead on absentee owners?

than do i just send them all a letter hoping one of them will call me back?

User Stats

Votes
Nicole A.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida
ModeratorReplied Mar 2 2016, 09:53

Today, I was toying around with ListSource for the first time. I put in pretty specific parameters, so my list doesn't cost $50. It seems like I can't make a purchase unless it's at least $50...or am I missing something?

User Stats

Votes
Joey Hamaoui
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jun 5 2016, 17:22

Correct me if I'm wrong but on list source the website's rules only allow you to direct mail the list once. Does anyone abide by this? What do you typically do? Just keep buying a list each month or continue to market to the same people?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 5 2016, 17:27

I can say I've ever seen that and how on earth would they control that? 

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel H.
  • Investor
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Playa Del Rey, CA
Replied Jun 5 2016, 18:27

I can't say if listsource does this or not, but i know some list management companies seed their lists with internal addresses to track usage. It would still be pretty hard to track unless you include identifiable information on the direct mailing copy (i.e. The same phone number you used to purchase the list)

User Stats

Votes
Paul Winka
  • St Louis, MO
Votes |
  • St Louis, MO
Replied Jun 10 2016, 20:03
Originally posted by @Justin Fussell:

Great thread. I'm about to purchase my first list from list source. This was a big help in narrowing the field. The only parameter I'm having issues with is finding the median sales price for Fort worth. Any idea? 

Yes, I see what you mean. Trulia has different output standards for each city, some with more information than others. Lakeland, FL has sales data while Forth Worth does not:

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Lakeland-Florida...

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Fort_Worth-Texas...

The only thing I could find was the average listing price per area. For some reason the sales prices are guarded: http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Texas/Fort_Worth...

Since it seems that it is more of a seller's market lately, the listing price and the sales price are probably quite similar. Did you find your data, Justin? 

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Borjas
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas, GA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas, GA
Replied Aug 16 2016, 09:53

@Michael Quarles I just came across this old post, but it keeps on giving. 

Can you please explain what the difference is between Listsource.com and the mailing lists at yellowletters.com? What are the advantages of investing in your website's lists vs those from listsource.com? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Quarles#1 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Aug 16 2016, 10:00

@jorge 

@Jorge Borjas with exception of the Mortgage Late list for Pre- Pre-Foreclosure marketing, Divorce List for that group, and generic business lists, the equity and buyers lists are pulled from Listsource. Therefore if you use the same criteria we do your results will be the same. 

I like listsource however it does take a little experience to understand the numbers being returned.

Happy House Hunting.

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Borjas
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas, GA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas, GA
Replied Aug 16 2016, 10:19

@Michael Quarles Is there any discount for bundling the purchase of the lists and sending them through yellowletters? Or is it more convenient to mail merge all addresses and names if list is bought through yellowletters.com? I'm gearing up for my first marketing campaign, so I'm trying to understand the different products out there.

User Stats

Votes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Aug 16 2016, 10:25

@Jorge Borjas   From a convenience standpoint there is value buying from a single platform however the additional convenience is minimal. I think our price point is better too. Don't over think the process. Just order.

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Borjas
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas, GA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dallas, GA
Replied Aug 16 2016, 10:28

Thank you, Michael! 

User Stats

Votes
DeMarrius Payne
  • Realtor
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Aug 26 2016, 15:35

I followed this criteria and my list was over 38k. Are you sending mail to all these people or just a portion of the list? The whole list cost is almost $8,000 for me. 

User Stats

Votes
Dustin DuFault
  • Investor
  • Fernandina Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fernandina Beach, FL
Replied Aug 26 2016, 16:55

That's a lot of opportunity there DeMarrius, which is great. Unless you have a full-tilt call center trained on these negotiations in your back pocket that's going to be way to many for you to market to at one time... try and narrow that list down some more. Maybe there is a geographic area in which you are most familiar and comfortable you should focus on? ListSource will let you limit by zip code. You can also throw in some more criteria of your choosing - only higher equity opportunities as an example. If the list is still too big you can market to a part of the list at a time, and ListSource will let you buy partial lists and keep track of who you have purchased for you so that you are not buying the same targets repeatedly.

That's a great problem to have man, congratulations!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777
Account Closed
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 30 2016, 11:08

Thanks @Michael Quarles & @Joseph Caracappa for taking your time to post here.Very Helpful

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Caracappa
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Replied Aug 30 2016, 15:55

Shane Farrell thank you for the kind comment!

To your success bud!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Dolores Waldron
  • Medford, MA
Votes |
  • Medford, MA
Replied Aug 30 2016, 16:37

@Michael Quarles, hi Michael, you are in CA which I believe is a very hot market similar to the Boston , MA area where I am located.  I need some hand holding to get my DM campaign generating results.

Would you be so kind to share what niche lists you would advise one to target with their DM campaign , I feel everyone is targeting out of state landlords , pre foreclosures etc. 

How long do you run the campaign for?

Can you give a break down on how to do a campaign and should each follow up letter build on the previous- are there examples of follow up letters posted somewhere?

Apologies if this has been highlighted somewhere else in forum already.

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Rollo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Oct 11 2016, 09:36

I was just doing some search criteria on listsource.com and results came back over 21k. I only want to target about 2500-5000 on this list. Once the list is purchased (one time purchase) does it just disappear? Why would I not be able to send to the same list multiple times without purchasing it again? 

Also if I purchase the list what is the best approach to send all of these without handwriting and mailing out on my own, kind of outsourcing the list to another company to mail?

User Stats

Votes
Matt A.
  • Investor
  • El Paso, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • El Paso, TX
Replied Oct 18 2016, 22:15

Hello all,

I am up to purchase a list from listsource but I have a concern about removing duplicate property mailing addresses. To my knowledge "Remove duplicate property mailing addresses" means getting only one address per mailing address. If someone has multiple properties in your market area and if you click "Remove duplicate property mailing addresses" you will limit each landlord to one property and you may end up with excluding other properties of that landlord if they have any of course. Am I wrong? Please let me know. 

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Claire Trammell
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Oct 19 2016, 11:04

@Matt A.

First of all, welcome to the the BP Community!

Secondly, you are correct that by selecting "Remove duplicate property mailing addresses" in listsource it will remove any properties that are associated with the same mailing address. However, I would recommend removing duplicates. The reason behind that is the recipient will get a single mail piece instead of multiple and they may call saying "hey I got your postcard referring to my property at ___, but would you be interested in my other properties as well/instead?"

This will also save on marketing costs since only one piece is mailed.

User Stats

Votes
Matt A.
  • Investor
  • El Paso, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • El Paso, TX
Replied Oct 19 2016, 11:22
Originally posted by @Claire Trammell:

@Matt A.

First of all, welcome to the the BP Community!

Secondly, you are correct that by selecting "Remove duplicate property mailing addresses" in listsource it will remove any properties that are associated with the same mailing address. However, I would recommend removing duplicates. The reason behind that is the recipient will get a single mail piece instead of multiple and they may call saying "hey I got your postcard referring to my property at ___, but would you be interested in my other properties as well/instead?"

This will also save on marketing costs since only one piece is mailed.

@Claire Trammell

Thank you for welcoming and detailed info about removing duplicates. That's true so a little more can be saved on costs.

Thanks

Account Closed
  • Wholesaler
  • Radcliff, KY
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Radcliff, KY
Replied Dec 17 2016, 13:50

Michael Quarles I know this was asked previously but wasn't answered. Why only to 2010?

User Stats

Votes
Paul Amegatcher
Pro Member
  • Brookville, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brookville, OH
Replied Dec 18 2016, 15:40
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Michael Quarles I know this was asked previously but wasn't answered. Why only to 2010?

You want properties that have been owned greater than 4 years.  If you search for high equity list the includes purchases from this year those buyers would be Investors.

User Stats

Votes
Eddie T.
  • New York
Votes |
  • New York
Replied Jul 5 2017, 09:48

if anyone is still using listsource please let me know thanks

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.