Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Renter capacity in a 4/2?

Austin McCasland
Posted Jun 3 2023, 05:40

Has anyone found success in renting to four tenants in a 4/2 house?  Any complications  that make you think doing a 2 tenant max would be a better option?  What strategies have you found effective at increasing renter capacity other than increasing square footage?

Thanks in advance! Love y’all!

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jun 3 2023, 10:05

I think it’ll all depend on if the renters are related / traveling together or not. In my personal experience, renting by the room is most successful when each person has their own bathroom. However, if you rent the 4 bedroom to a family, for example, or a group of digital nomads, travel nurses, etc you will have better luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Austin McCasland
Replied Jun 3 2023, 11:18
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

I think it’ll all depend on if the renters are related / traveling together or not. In my personal experience, renting by the room is most successful when each person has their own bathroom. However, if you rent the 4 bedroom to a family, for example, or a group of digital nomads, travel nurses, etc you will have better luck. 

Thank you for the input! Yes, I could see the lack of bathrooms could present a problem in the “rent by the room“ model. I’ll be sure to keep my options open
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jun 3 2023, 11:24

@Austin McCasland I’d imagine being in the Dallas TX area you’d have a good amount of corporate demand and insurance relocation clients. Larger homes are great for housing displaced or relocating families! Make sure you network with real estate agents they generally know of families moving to / from the area that need furnished housing for a few months at a time.

User Stats

Votes
Austin McCasland
Replied Jun 3 2023, 11:30

Great point. What size portfolio would you recommend before reaching out to hospital HR to percent yourself as a housing solution for their traveling employees?

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jun 3 2023, 11:40

You can start the process with just one! I had two properties that I set up at once and I directly started reaching out to corporations, agencies, etc. There are some that will give you feedback that they prefer to work with providers who have 5+ units but it’s still great to start the relationship now. I’ve had more luck targeting smaller relocation companies and placement companies who are local to the areas that I operate in. 

User Stats

Votes
Austin McCasland
Replied Jun 3 2023, 11:51
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

You can start the process with just one! I had two properties that I set up at once and I directly started reaching out to corporations, agencies, etc. There are some that will give you feedback that they prefer to work with providers who have 5+ units but it’s still great to start the relationship now. I’ve had more luck targeting smaller relocation companies and placement companies who are local to the areas that I operate in. 

Excellent. In your experience, what has been the primary concern or focus the corporations, relocation agencies, etc. Bring to your attention when verifying your properties?

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 3 2023, 14:14

Depending on the bed situation, 2 people per bedroom is fine. You'll need a king, queen, or 2 twins to sleep 2 to a room. But think about who you're targeting. A large family could use this layout. Perhaps college students or coworkers who know each other will be ok sharing bathrooms.

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Jun 3 2023, 21:04

@Austin McCasland

I’ve got a few I rent by the room. I throw in a bunch of strangers and just hope they don’t kill each other. Lol. So far so good. Huge demand for people renting by the room. And one house has 4 bedrooms sharing one bathroom. I charge $800/month at that house and can fill those rooms within 24 hours after listing them.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jun 4 2023, 06:36
Quote from @Austin McCasland:

Has anyone found success in renting to four tenants in a 4/2 house?  Any complications  that make you think doing a 2 tenant max would be a better option?  What strategies have you found effective at increasing renter capacity other than increasing square footage?

Are you talking about four individuals who don’t know each other, so they’re “renting a room”, or a single tenant that consists of 4 people?  When my family gets together, we have as many a six couples and often rent 2 houses.  

User Stats

Votes
Austin McCasland
Replied Jun 4 2023, 07:30
Quote from @Don Konipol:
Quote from @Austin McCasland:

Are you talking about four individuals who don’t know each other, so they’re “renting a room”, or a single tenant that consists of 4 people?  When my family gets together, we have as many a six couples and often rent 2 houses.  
My thought was for individual parties, but will depend on the demand

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied Jun 6 2023, 17:52

@Austin McCasland the other option is renting two rooms to one person (bedroom and office or private living room) and they have their own bathroom. each home can be suitable to Rent by the room and others are not. just my opinion